Search for content in message boards

Some Danforths Were Possibly Davenports

Some Danforths Were Possibly Davenports

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davenport Danforth
Family lore has it that my line came through the Davenports who lived in the Hempstead, Long Island area in the late 1700s and early 1800s. We "know" the line, but have one link in the chain without any meaningful proof. Now I have the first somewhat solid piece of evidence that links my family back to Francis Davenport who came to the Colonies from England about 1680, was a Quaker, and lived in western New Jersey. This Francis had two sons, Francis & Isaac. Issac is the progenitor of the "Newberry Davenports"...

Lore says one of my relatives, Walter Newberry Davenport changed his name to William Newberry Danforth in the early 1800s. His dates are 1785-1832. Walter/William's father was Samuel H. Davenport (1752-1827), Samuel's father was Francis Davenport (1715-1797, I call him "Francis III"), his grandfather was Francis Davenport (1684-1720, I call him "Francis II"), and his great grandfather was Francis Davenport (1651-1707, I call him "Francis I"). It is this last Francis who came to the Colonies around 1680...

We really have no substantive documentation regarding Walter/William Newberry Davenport/Danforth. He is the "brick wall" I've been working to break through for a long time. A decade ago Robert ("Bob") Hilands McKeon paid for a DNA test for me with FamilyTree DNA. Over the years I've upgraded it from a Y-DNA12 test to a Y-DNA67 test. I recently noticed there is one person in the FamilyTree DNA database who's DNA is an identical match to me. And his last name is Davenport. There is also one person who is a Y-DNA67 one-step match, and his name is Davenport too. I send emails to both people. I received a response from a nephew of the identical match, and a response from the sister of the one-step match. They both know their history and they're "Newberry Davenports". (Also, there are no DNA matches close to me with last name of "Danforth")...

Apparently there is some uncertainty about "Francis I" being Isaac's father. Well, using FamilyTree DNA's term, it appears that Francis I is the Most Common Recent Ancestor (MCRA) of these two Davenports and me. Which I was fascinated to discover. If Francis I is the first generation, then I'm the tenth generation from him. I have kids and some of my kids have kids, so that's twelve generations...

I know one piece of DNA evidence doesn't come close to meeting any of the Genealogical Proof Standard criteria, but to me it's a pretty strong suggestion / indicator, and also helps me to know that I'm working on the right line back to Francis I. It helps to bridge the gap caused by lack of documentation regarding Walter/William Newberry Davenport/Danforth...

Thought I'd share my discovery with the community interested in both the Davenport and Danforth surnames...

Re: Some Danforths Were Possibly Davenports

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks for sharing your info..I have usually searched the Danforth name when looking for my Davenport family but never came across the name in Tyrrell Co., NC..I have wondered IF census takers were not responsible for name changes as they did not always know how to spell the names..glad you had your DNA tested..good luck with further searches..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions