Search for content in message boards

Lutz from Hancock, Nauvoo, Illinois

Lutz from Hancock, Nauvoo, Illinois

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lutz
I'm completely stuck! I've managed to trace my family back to Hancock, nauvoo, Illinois 1860 census but hit a wall. First, the census reads: Joseph lutz born 1824 in? , Caroline Lutz born 1828 in wurttenberg, Philomine Lutz born 1857, August Lutz born 1858, and Caroline lutz born 1854. First, can anyone read where Joseph lutz came from? I can't make it out. Second how can I find my family before 1860. They seem to came from no where. Most important I just need the city Joseph came from to continue my search. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Re: Lutz from Hancock, Nauvoo, Illinois

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 7 Feb 2012 5:37PM GMT
1860 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Leetz Name: Joseph Leetz
[Joseph Lutz]
Age in 1860: 36
Birth Year: abt 1824
Birthplace: France
Home in 1860: Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois
Post Office: Nauvoo
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Leetz 36
Caroline Lutz 32
Philerminel Lutz 3
August D Lutz 2
Caroline Lutz 6

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
about Joseph Lutz Name: Joseph Lutz
Arrival Date: 5 Mar 1852
Port of departure: Le Havre, France
Ship Name: Lexington
Port of arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Joseph Franz Lutz
B: 1824
France
D: 1861

Mary Caroline Huber
Birth 1826 in Württemberg / Wurttemberg
Death Living
Death 1903

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 5:30PM GMT
The entry for Joseph in 1860 is hard to read, but I'd say it is France. Have you tried looking at immigration and naturalization records for ships sailing into New Orleans since their oldest daughter Caroline was born in Louisiana? I did a quick search for Joseph Lutz and found three records for someone about the same age sailing from France into the Port of New Orleans in the early 1850s. One branch of our family reached Hancock County after arriving in New Orleans about that same time. It appears that Joseph may have died before 1870 and Caroline was remarried to Jacob Koppenhofer.

1870 U.S. Census, Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois
Jacob Koppenhofer, laborer, age 44, b. abt 1826, Wurttemberg
Caroline Koppenhofer, age 43, b. abt 1827, Wurttemberg
Frederick Koppenhofer, age 3, b. abt. 1867, Illinois
Mary Koppenhofer, age 6, b. abt 1864, Illinois
Caroline Lutz, age 17, b. abt 1853, Louisiana
David Lutz, age 12, b. abt 1858, Illinois
Joseph Lutz, age 9, b. abt 1861, Illinois

New Orleans Passenger Lists
Ship: Lexington, arrived in New Orleans 5 Mar 1852 from Le Havre, France
Joseph Lutz, age 27, farmer, birthplace: France (b. abt 1824)

Ship: Amelia, arrived in New Orleans 31 Mar 1852 from Le Havre, France
Joseph Lutz, age 28, birthplace: France (b. abt 1824)

Ship: Medora, arrived in New Orleans 28 Nov 1853 from Le Havre, France
Joseph Lutz, age 29, farmer, birthplace: France (b. abt 1824)

Posted: 7 Feb 2012 5:34PM GMT
Thank you, that's a great help! I did see that 1870 census also, but was a little confused about it. I think I now have a great new lead! \(^o^)/

Posted: 30 Jun 2012 1:43AM GMT
The Nauvoo Historical Society is doing a Smithsonian Exhibit this Fall 2012 and we are researching the Icarians (from France) and the Germans. Lutz is a familiar name in our 2 local museums.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT
Hi, I was wondering what kind of information you have exactly in your exhibit? Any information on my ancestors would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:45AM GMT
The museums are now closed for the winter season but I do occasionally go in and will check and get back to you. Do you have relatives that have lived here in Nauvoo?
Marilyn,
NHS

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 2:56AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2012 5:58AM GMT
Oh, I wish I would have seen the exhibit. My great great grandfather lived there in late 1850s until his death in 1861 or 1862. His name was Joseph lutz born 1824. Him and my great great grandmother caroline huber came over from Alsace on the ship medora in new Orleans on November 28 1853,then moved there and died. Then Caroline remarried to a Jacob koppenhofer from wurrtemberg. But, I know I need to come to nauvoo some day to discover exactly what happen to my great great grandfather. And also to find out what city exactly he came from. I check the ship log and only says he's from France and a farmer. But in nauvoo, he's listed as a carpenter, which by the way is common in our family ;). But beyond that, I don't know how he died, what kind of carpentry he did, or even what city he was from in France so that I could continue my search .... :'(

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 9:40AM GMT
I'll see what I can find. There was a lutz, Maybe in the 1950's, that was friends of the history buffs, the Nauvoo Historical Society. I have only been here for twenty something years (we came to help the Sisters of St Mary's Academy) but as secretary of NHS, I have seen your family name several places at our local museums.
I'll be back in touch but it may take a bit of research.
Marilyn

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Lutz
So I have done a little digging and found that Otis lutz actually had a store on main business drag. One of our NHS Board directors remembers him and his wife, from many years ago. Several of your generations have lived here and I also saw an advertisement. We, the NSH Board would like to offer a membership to our museums where we honor the heritage families of Nauvoo. Please see our website at www.nauvoohistoricalsociety.org

We are a non profit and all membership funds and donations help to keep our museums open and pays for a member newsletter. Let me know and I will add your info to the newsletter to see others who remember your family and may be related.
Marilyn, NHS Secretary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic