Search for content in message boards

Maier family

Maier family

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 1:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maier
Looking for info about Henry Maier family, lived in
Minidoka County in 1930's from No Dakota and germany
originally. Any and all info appreciated.

M

Re: Maier family

Posted: 5 Mar 2011 3:28AM GMT
Hi,
I looked in Ancestry and Familysearch but didn't find anything for him. If he lived there after the 1930 Census, he won't appear because that is the most recent Census at this time.

When was he born in Germany? What was his wife or children's names? Do you know anything else about him?

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 5:58AM GMT
Henry was German but born in Russia in 1886,mother is
Wilhemina Pfaff. Wife Christina, maiden name also Maier.
Dakota about 1906-1909. Might have ben married in ND, moved on to Idaho and California.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Maier
Hi,
In 1920 Henry, wife and daughter were living in Melville, Grant Co., North Dakota.
Henry Maier, b. Russia, 33, immigrated 1906, pending papers for naturalization, general farmer.
Christine, wife, b. Russia, 27, imm 1909, alien.
Alma, b. ND, 6.

In 1942 Henry Maier
Born=9 Oct 1886, Russia
Residence=Route 1, Box 22, Rupert, MInidoka, ID
Occupation=farmer for C. A. Bailey, Rupert
Nearest Person=Ed Plocher, Rupert
Source=U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards 1942.

I didn't find anything else for any of the family.

There is a volunteer in Minidoka Co. who looks up PUblic Records. Go to raogk.org
Read guidelines
Choose Idaho
Scroll down to Minidoka Co.

Maybe Steve can find a death record or marriage record for Alma. Successful Searching!

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 5:24AM GMT
Thano you so very much. i have not been able to find ship
list for both of them. Also, looking for marriage of henry
and Christina in USA and land records. I tjino I posted this
then hit delete..not sure, new at this.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 7:13AM GMT
Once Again, I send this information to you:

Regarding citizenship, Henry is shown as having immigrated in 1906, his status was "Pa." That means "Papers," indicating he had filed his Declaration of Intention to become a citizen. It does NOT mean "pending papers." The term "Pa" was part of the instructions given to persons enumerating the census.
---In the instructions to the enumerators is found, as example for the 1900 Census: http://usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/inst1900.shtml :
-----#151. Column 18. Naturalization.—If the persons is a native of the United States, leave the column blank. If he was born abroad, and has taken no steps toward becoming an American citizen, write "Al" (for alien). If he has declared his intention to become an American citizen and taken out his "first" papers, write "Pa" (for papers). If he has become a full citizen by taking out second or final papers of naturalization, write "Na" (for naturalized).

By continuous use of your term "pending papers" or "pending citizenship papers" it wrongly attaches a different meaning to a CENSUS enumeration and changes it to a Naturalization Process, which is NOT the case. It simply means the person has filed and does not indicate any portion of the process which the word "pending" may indicate. NOTHING IS PENDING.

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 7:14AM GMT
When you post, it's important to fully identify the person you seek. Post their FULL date of births if you have them, that helps to identify one person from another having the same name. Identify specifically what you seek. If you already have the US Census, or other information, identify that you have it.

Now, bottom line first: I found a Henry Maier in the World War I and World War II draft registrations that was born October 9, 1886. BUT, this might not be the correct person you seek, although this one was in Rupert, North Dakota in 1942/with indications of being also in California. I found a couple that is probably Henry and Christina buried in California; but, you may know if this is correct or not. If this is the correct couple, besides the cemetery research I suggested, you might also attempt to obtain their obituaries in Lodi, California. If you have additional information on Wilhemina Pfaff, you might want to also fully identify her.

The 1920 Census for Melville, Grant County, North Dakota, Renting his land.
Henry Maier, age 33, born in Russia to both parents born in Russia (all spoke German, immigrated in 1906, "Pa" (see below). He is a farmer/General Farming
-Christine, wife, age 27(1892/1893), born in Russia to both parents born in Russia (all spoke German), immigrated 1909. Shown as "Al" for Alien.
-Alma, age 6(1913/1914), born in North Dakota
NOTE:
---The "Pa" is the answer to the question as to citizenship. "Pa" means PAPERS, it means he has submitted his Declaration of Intention to become a citizen. That "Pa" is what the enumerators were told to write for immigrants that were not Naturalized (Na), or had not yet filed their intent (Al for Alien). It does NOT MEAN "pending papers" as the other poster likes to continuously write in error, there are no papers pending...
Henry Maier's naturalization process is noted here:
http://library.ndsu.edu/db/naturalization/

---During this time period there was a MASS of Menonite's that immigrated from Russia. They were originally residents of Germany, but when their religious rights were being infringed, they moved in mass to various communes in Russia. When Russia then began infringing upon their rights, specifically requiring military service, they left in mass to the central USA.
Here might be a start for your research into this:
http://library.ndsu.edu/repository/handle/10365/5711

The World War I Draft Registration Card image database:
Henry Maier, born October 9, 1886 in Cherow, Russia, Citizenship: Declared Intentions, farmer, wife and one child. He was a farmer, living in Inga, Chouteau County, Montana. This person registered on June 5, 1917 as required (National Registration Day)
--World War II Draft Registration Card Image Database:
Henry Maier, born October 9, 1886 in Russia. Residence: "R(Route) 1, Rupert, Minidoka Co, Idaho. Written in pencil above was "Box 22, Florin Calif." Person who will always know your address: "Ed Plocher, Rupert, ID" He was 5'-6", 160 pounds, had a mole-rear of left eye, Hazel eyes, Gray hair. He registered on April 27, 1942, at the Local Board, Court House, Rupert, ID
NOTE: Both of these Draft Registration identify the same name and same Date-of-Birth of October 9, 1886.
--Florin is an area in Sacramento County, CA.

Ed Plocher is identified as Edward Plocher, born 24 Oct 1887, died 29 April 1944 in Rupert, Minidoka County. His WWII draft registration identified he was born in Odesa, Russia. The person who will always know his address was Miss Emma Plocher. Edward appears to be more of a personal friend than family member.

Henry and Christina Maier are buried in the Lodi Memorial Cemeteri, San Joaquin County, CA.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ma...;
Christina
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ma...;

Also buried in this cemetery:
Jacob Maier 1877-1942
Almore C. Maier, 1921-1942
Rosina Maier, 1877 to 1942
---The Fresno Bee Republican, dated March 30, 1942,
Lodi Man, Son Killed In Auto Truck Collision... Jacob Maier, 65, and his son, Almore, 21, of Lodi, were killed...in a collison of their automobile and a lumber truck...Three are unconscious... Mrs. Jacob Maier, wife of the driver; Mrs. Anna Krause, and a little girl, "Thelma Mae."
---I don't know if the Jacob Maier family was related.

The Lodi Cemetery is located at 5750 E. Pine Street, Lodi, CA 95240, telephone: 209-333-7171. They "might" have a record of the family. It "might" have the name of the funeral home. While the funeral home may have been sold, gone out of business, "sometimes" the records transfer. I would not expect this in this case, but it is possible.

I find a family tree showing a Wilhemina Pfaff, born 17 oct 1824, daughter of Karl Wilhelm Pfaff and Katharina Becker, siblings Heinrich 1826; Jakob 1828; Karl 1839; and Franz 1832. No spouse or children identified.

Ron Bestrom
Tacoma, WA

Posted: 9 Mar 2011 3:52PM GMT
thank you so very much. I have a bit more specific info,
I think we are on the right trail. back to you later.

M
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions