Search for content in message boards

JAMES STRACHAN

JAMES STRACHAN

Posted: 14 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Nov 2002 5:35PM GMT
Surnames: STRACHAN, STRAGHAN
I am looking for any ancestors of James, John or Alexander Strachan who were born in Newton-Upon-Ayr Scotland, they were three brothers. James was born in 1770 or 1772, I do not have any dates on the other two.

I do know that according to a family history written by Mary Brigham Merrithew. That James went to Ireland, John went to England and Alexander remained in Scotland.

If anyone has information or is a descendant of the above. I would like to hear from you.

Re: JAMES STRACHAN

Angela Cawdron (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2005 9:57PM GMT
Hi there

My own family were Strachan's from Ayrshire.

My family were Thomas Strachan and Susannah Alexander who married in Irvine in the 1770's.

I have also done some work for someone from the St Quivox and Newton and Ayr, Strachan's. I was trying to connect them to mine.
I would be pleased to help you

Angela C

John Strachan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2005 7:43PM GMT
Hi Angela C

Thanks for your interest in helping, but I am leaving on vacation until the middle of March. When I return I will contact you again. I would be very interested in what we can compare.

John S.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 10:44PM GMT
HI Angela, are you still reseaching this name. I have Alexander Strachan married to a Martha McCall with sons Stewart and John in St Quivox and Newton Ayrshire Scotland area. Judy (Australia)

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 6:45PM GMT
Hi Angela

I'm descended from Thomas Strachan and Susannah Alexander too. I've done a lot of research on this line but can't get any further back that Thomas and Susannah (at least not that can be confirmed). Would love to swap ideas and notes.

Judy Strachan

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 9:11PM GMT
I am also descended from Thomas and Susannah and would love to share information you may have. My grandfather and great-grandfather were both David Findlay Strachan.

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Biography
I have a Jane Strachan married 1830 to A.Stevenson in St.Quivox.Jane 's parents are given as A.Strachan and Martha McCall.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 12:27AM GMT
Hello, there has to be a connection... when was Jane born... her parents must have been Alexander Strachan and Martha McCall. I have two of their sons... Stewart and John (who my husband's family are descended). Judy

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 6:17PM GMT
Jane was born 1809.Found a Martha Strachan born 1819.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 3:47PM GMT
Hi Judy

I have done a lot of work on the Ayrshire Strachan's

My Ancestors are Thomas Strachan and Susannah Alexander who married in Irvine in the 1770's.
Their son Robert is my ancestor.

I do also know about your Strachan's from St Quivox also.

I have done some work for someone in the USA about them?

The Strachan's were my Dad's family. However my Mum a Montgomery great grandfather Hugh Montgomery married possibly 3 times. His third wife was Margaret Strachan daughter of Alexander Strachan and Martha McCall. I am descended from his first wife Mary Grant.
I still do a lot of research although not much on my own line of late. My files need updated, which I am working on.
I have spent a lot of time over the past 2 years photographing and transcribing gravestones in Ayrshire and I am working on my 3rd book on them. I have done Riccarton - Kaimshill, Old High Kirk Kilmarnock, Dreghorn in progress, Kilmaurs in progress. I have had little time to correspond with people. However I would like this to change,
Best wishes and good to hear from you, let me know where you fit into this family.
Angela C
per page

Find a board about a specific topic