Search for content in message boards

Sutton Family of West Virginia

Sutton Family of West Virginia

Posted: 7 Apr 2007 12:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sutton
I’m looking for anyone who is researching the Sutton family of Sutton, West Virginia. Their family history is recorded in 2 books: History of Braxton County and Central West Virginia, and Genealogy of the Sutton Family in America. Both books are by John Davison Sutton, published around 1920.

Re: Sutton Family of West Virginia

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Sutton
My grandmother was a Sutton from Braxton Co., WV
Who are you looking for?

Posted: 27 Apr 2007 11:05AM GMT
Surnames: Sutton, Darley
My ancestor, Thomas Sutton, appeared in Jefferson County, Mississippi, in 1820. According to the 1830 census, he was born circa 1790-1800 and was foreign, not naturalized. According to family legend, his father’s name was John. John’s family came to America from England, and John came over after he finished his education. He was a schoolteacher who came to South Carolina. His family was related to an earl in Sheffield, England. This description fits John D. Sutton. His ancestors were from Manchester, England, which is about 50 miles from Sheffield. I believe John D. is Thomas’ father. John D's wife's father was named Thomas Darley. Problem: my Thomas Sutton died of yellow fever about 3 years before John D. died, so Thomas wouldn’t be listed in a will or probate. I need help finding proof that Thomas is John's son.

Posted: 14 Jul 2014 8:15PM GMT
i am looking for Margaret Sutton, my grandmother. Child of Felix Sutton..Braxton Cty, WV. Also, Felix O. Sutton, an atty, and Jane Sutton, a student. I am trying to locate Margarets descendants..she was my father's mother, married Charles Neson Hawkins, lived in Columbus, Ohio ...at lest in the vicinity. Mother died shortly after childs birth, Herbert, raised in county orphanage. Father left all children and last known to be in London, OH but dont know if he was married. Lived with an Indian woman but no name is known.
Evelyn

Posted: 4 Aug 2014 1:49PM GMT
My great grandfather was Felix Joseph Sutton. I have 6 Suttons with the first name Felix in my tree. I have a Margaret Sutton, daughter of Felix, born abt 1834. Do you have some dates for margaret and jane sutton? I do not see a Charles Hawkins in my tree. I can provide you a report of the descendants of Felix Sutton. Report is over 90 pages.

Posted: 4 Aug 2014 7:40PM GMT
Hello.. have been searching for this family for some time. My father, Herbert Hawkins, was the youngest child of Maggie (Margaret) Sutton-Hawkins. She died shortly after his birth. I did find some Sutton relatives in WV that recognize the connection we have. Maggie birth date is 1872. Death date is 1910. Maggie is listed as mulatto in census, as were her children. I have a request in the Children's home which several were placed after their mother's death. The father walked away and left them all, about 10 or 11 children. I did have a copy of Maggie's death certificate. It was signed by Felix Sutton. I have not found more info on Felix. I am assuming Maggie was an illegitimate child of Felix..mother probably an africanAmerican woman, but have no concrete information on that. Please send me any info you are willing to share. There is a Jane Sutton also mentioned by the descendants I have spken with. I appreciate any information. My father was killed in a truck accident in 1957, age 47. He never knew his mom or dad. I have been lucky to have found some of her descendants. I am 74 yrs old and trying to make a list for my children so they will know who their grandfather was and some of his relatives. I have 7 children, 4 grandchildren. We know we are 'mulatto' from the skin colour, but know not much from there, although the descendants I met this summer are deffinitely from the caucasian side of my father's family. Thanks for your help. Evelyn

Posted: 4 Aug 2014 11:08PM GMT
What county in West Virginia was Maggie born and died? What year census was Maggie listed in? Did Herbert Hawkins die in West Virginia? Any information will help in trying to isolate which Felix Sutton. There is at least 3 different Sutton families in West Virginia that are not related.

Posted: 5 Aug 2014 7:44PM GMT
maggie is listed in the census for 1910, columbus ward 8, franklin ohio. my dad, herbert hawkins died in indianapolis, in he was 47 yrs. he died in august 1957, after my high school gr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic