Search for content in message boards

JOHN DUNCAN born 1788

JOHN DUNCAN born 1788

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DUNCAN
I am looking for any information on one of my great –several times – grandfather. His name was John M. Duncan and he left sometime before 1838 to homestead in Indiana. He was born around 1788 in Hope Township, Cumberland County, according to records passed on to me. He was married to Rebecca McConnell. He is the son of John Duncan and Elizabeth McComb. That is all I know and any ideas, help or guidance would be appreciated.

Re: JOHN DUNCAN born 1788

Peggy Reeves (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 11:47PM GMT
The homestead act wasn't passed until 1862. If your John bought land out west before then, it was for some other reason.

There are a number of federal land purchases in Indiana under the name "John Duncan" at the Bureau of Land Management website, but because it is a common name, you would need to narrow down where his land actually was in order to know if any of those transactions listed might be the one you're interested in.

Each listing at the BLM site has an accompanying file of information at NARA. The transactions that are marked: "cash entry" (when you click on them) have very little information, in fact, they usually just consist of a small dated cash receipt showing how much was paid, and also a slip showing the coordinates of the land that was purchased.

Any transactions listed as "homestead" or "scrip" or some other act of Congress that the land was sold under may have more information than cash-entry transactions. Homestead files are very informative.

The BLM site has the patent certificates viewable online, but anything else in the file would have to be obtained from NARA.

The BLM website where you can search for patents in federal land states is:

www.glorecords.blm.gov

There is also a fine tutorial to the grid system at that site. Good luck in your search!

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2006 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, McConnell, McComb
I have a copy of his land certificate. His land grant was from a law passed April 24, 1820. I can follow him from then on, however, I am having trouble tracing his family in Cumberland County.

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 12:56AM GMT
The younger John would have been about 24 years old when the War of 1812 began. Have you looked into this?

Ancestry lists two different PA regiments that had a John Duncan in them. Interestingly, both regiments had two men with that same name. It is possible that this could be father and son serving--or not. The regiments are:

1. Cobean's Battalion, Pennsylvania Volunteers
2. 2nd Regiment, (Ritscher's) Pennsylvania Militia

I don't know where these regiments originated.

If anyone has a Virgil White 1812 pension index (book), you could ask them to check and see if either John was pensioned. A pension file would tell you a lot. Even if there is no pension file, if either of them lived beyond 1850, they could have applied for bounty land under the act passed in 1850, and would have a bounty land file at NARA.

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2006 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, McConnell, McComb
Thanks. I had never thought about that route. The son died in 1864 in Indiana. I will start looking into the War of 1812. I have never done that and I certainly appreciate your pointers. Any other advice would be welcomed. Were there tax records or land records for the late 1700s in Cumberland
County.

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 1:14AM GMT
My experience is mostly with federal records. There are no federal land records for Pennsylvania. You would normally get land records from the individual courthouses in the counties in PA, but I would check first to make sure the records you want are not being held at an archives or historical society off-site from the courthouse.

There were several years of tax records for Cumberland County in the 1700s that were published. I can't remember off the top of my head which years they were, but the Library of Congress has the book in their online catalog. The description of the book gives you the years of the tax records that it covers, as I recall.

Go to: www.loc.gov

Click on the "search catalogs" button and put the words "Cumberland Pennsylvania" and "tax records" in the search engine and it should come up.

Margie Duncan (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2006 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan,McComb
I beleive that your John M Duncan is a brother to my husband's
gggg-grandfather David Duncan, son of John and Elizabeth McComb Duncan from the Shippensburg,Pa. area. Please contact me at the above e-mail. Maybe we can exchange some information. Thanks.
Margie

Deb Woolley (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2006 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: DUNCAN
I responded directly to you, I think... My e-mail is debwoolley@comcast.net I think you are right .... our two ancestors were brothers.

Posted: 25 Jun 2006 1:57PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2006 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan

Have you looked at the book Book Titled "The Story of Thomas Duncan and His Six Sons by Katherine Duncan Smith, written in 1928. This book looks at the Duncan's from Cumberland County, PA.

This book may answer some of your questions. My line is by William Duncan. His daughter Margaret Duncan married John Blythe in PA and then went on to Clark County, KY.

William's Father was Thomas Duncan married Jane Greer

Please email me so we can compare notes.
my email address is jmdgenealogy@yahoo.com

Thank you.
Joy

Posted: 3 Jul 2006 6:02AM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2006 2:16AM GMT
Please email me at jmdgenealogy@yahoo.com
John Duncan connects to my husband's family. Thank you.
Joy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic