Search for content in message boards

Greencorn

Greencorn

Posted: 11 Apr 2007 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Greencorn, Johnson
I am looking for more information on my Great-Great Grandmother Martha Greencorn. She married James Johnson. I do believe she is from the Guysborough area.. and I would like to find confirmation of this. Also, any possible relations in the Greencorn family I would like to hear from you.

Re: Greencorn

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Greencorn Williams
I have conducted quite a bit of research on the Greencorns of Guysborough County. More specifically, I have been focusing on Greencorns that resided in the Philips cove and/or Crow Harbour communities within Guysborough County. Could you provide a rough idea of when the Martha Greencorn that you listed was born or married? I have a Martha Greencorn in my database that was born abt. 1800 and married a Daniel Williams on 21 Jun 1825.

Fred in Orlando

Posted: 21 Jul 2007 12:07AM GMT
I don't have a birthdate, just names, I am presently in the process of merging my family tree with my brother and hence will be adding more additional information.

I do know that Martha Greencorn, in my family was born in the 1800's, and that she married one James Johnson. And that She was from Guysbrough.

Anything which my steer me in the correct direction would help, as when it comes to researchin beyond her in my tree is a standstill.

Thank you.

Posted: 4 May 2008 8:07PM GMT
I am related to Greencorn family which lived in Canso area. David Greencorn, married Olivia Jane (Burns). David was born in 1865ish and died March? 1907. He was son of Valentine and Sophia. Olivia was dau. of William Abner Burns and Hannah Armsworthy. I suspect they were married c. 1891-1892. Their children were Lilla Beatrice, Blanche, Mary, Clara, Lola, Edward, Cora, Pearl. Olivia remarried in 1909 to Mr. Jacob GEORGE. One of their sons, Bill GEORGE, just passed away in New Glasgow in March 2008. Would love to know if this family connects up with any of your research. Especially interested in above listed Sophia's surname at birth.

My great grandmother was David & Olivia's dau. Lola Greencorn

Posted: 4 May 2008 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Greencorn Burns Rhynold
Hello wcmorton!
It is always a pleasure to hear from a GREENCORN descendant. As you know from my earlier postings, I have run into a brick wall in my efforts to find the parents of my GG Grandfather THOMAS GREENCORN (born circa 1830). However, I have conducted a great deal of research on the GREENCORN family (of Canso area) in efforts to find any and all information that might lead me to possible family ties.
My GREENCORN records agree with yours with regard to descendants of William Abner Burns and Hannah Armsworthy. I did not have all of the childrens names from the marriage of David Greencorn and Olivia Burns. If you have their birth dates/places, I would appreciate your sharing that information with me. I have the marriage of David Greencorn and Olivia Burns as 27 Aug 1892 in Canso.
I (and many other researchers) are also trying to determine Sophia's (wife of Valentine Greencorn) surname. Do you happen to know who Valentine's father and mother were? Or the names/birthdates of any of his brothers or sisters?
Regarding the marriage of David GREENCORN and Olivia BURNS, my records show a child named Margaret, born in abt. 1899 in Tittle/Canso and that this child Margaret Greencorn later married Alfred RHYNOLD on 23 Jan 1919 in Canso.

Posted: 5 May 2008 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: GREENCORN-BURNS-ARMSWORTHY-GEORGE

Olivia Jane Burns b. 05/11/1875 daughter of William Abner Burns and Hanna Armsworthy.
Olivia m. David Greencorn b.1862 son of Valentine & Sophia Greencorn
Olivia and David had the following children:
Lillian May b. 10/22/1892 m. Barney Byrne
Edith Blanch b. 04/10/1894 m. Clyde Payne
Mary Margretta b. 02/17/1896 m. George Balcom
Clair Jean b. 02/08/1898 m. Albert Euloth
Lola Helen aka Helen b. 04/04/1900 m. George C. Lizotte Sr.
Edward James b. 04/07/1902 m. ? 2nd m. Leah ?
Cora Kathleen b. 09/20/1904 m. Gussi Arthur
Anna Pearl b. 07/03/1906 m. Albert Murray
David GREENCORN died 1906
Olivia then married Jacob George
they had the following children:
Frances Evelyn b. 09/20/1908 m. Jack McDougall
Donald Roy b. 05/11/1913 m. ?
William Jacob b. 10/06/1914 m. Muriel Beals
Elsie Marie b. 01/10/1918 m. Frank Baltzer
I hope this is of some help.

Posted: 12 May 2008 7:38PM GMT
I agree with my cousin Kat - I do not see a child Margaret born to David & Olivia in 1899 - check out the 1901 online census for Canso - you will see David, olivia, and their children - daughter "Clear" (Claire) born Feb 8, 1898. Dau. "Lolla" (Lola) born Apr 4, 1900. with no child between them in age. There IS another David Greencorn living in Canso in that same time period - perhaps he is your relative? This "other" David Greencorn has confused me sometimes, too.

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 3:08PM GMT
Hi fmfrey,

David Greencorn and Olivia Burns also had a daughter Lilly born in 1892 and she married Christopher Byrne on Aug 10th 1911. They're my grandparents.

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Greencorn Munro Sciels
Do you know roughly when Martha Greencorn of your family was born? I have a Martha Greencorn b. 18 Nov 1873, d/o Thomas Greencorn (b. abt 1831) and Caroline (Sciels) Greencorn (b. abt 1835) of Half-way cove. My Great Grandmother was Martha Greencorn's sister Elisabeth A. Greencorn (b. 28 May 1870) who married Arthur Munro(e)on 7 Dec 1889 in Canso, Guysborough Co.

Fred

Posted: 1 Jan 2011 5:01AM GMT
I was just going through some old papers and found the baptismal certificate for Lilla (as spelled on the certificate) May Greencorn. Daughter of David and Olivia Greencorn. Born October 22, 1892 in Canso Nova Scotia and baptiszed January 8, 1893. I also have the Canadian Expeditionary Force Pay Book for Christopher J. Byrne (though only the initial J. is used throughout the book.) They were my grandparents also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic