Search for content in message boards

Atteberry Family in Menard Co, IL

Atteberry Family in Menard Co, IL

Marguerite Atteberry Emmons (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Atteberry, Atterberry, Attebury, Atterbury
Interested in locating information regarding the family of William H. (Howard) Atteberry and wife Martha and their 3 sons: David, William T., and Jefferson E.

This family is on the 1850 Hart Co, KY census as follows:

William H. [Howard]Atteberry, 23, farmer, b KY
Martha, 24, b VA
David, 3, b KY
William T., 2, b KY

Family records and tradition say that William H. (Howard) and family went to IL and that he died young and the whereabouts of his children were unknown. In 1860 Menard Co, IL census I locate the following:

David Atterbury (12 KY) in h/h of Calvin Atterbury, listed after children.
William Atterberry (11 KY) in h/h of George and Dorcas Kirby
Jefferson Atterberry in h/h of Christopher Atterberry (indexed as Armstrong), listed after children.

Anyone with information on these three boys and what happened to them and to their parents please contact me. I would also appreciate any information that proves they are not the sons of William H. Atteberry and Martha.

Marguerite

Atterberry info.

Virginia Watkins Morrison (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Atterbery, Kirby, Watkins
Menard County, Ill. Nancy Kirby m Christopher Atterberry 1/2/1835. They had 8 children. Elias, Dorcas, Ashford, Sophia, Cyrus W., Christina, (Female), Matilda. Christopher M (2) Alice Montgomery & (3) Nancy Williams.

Christopher was the son of Daniel and Nancy (Swarens) Atterberry, Sr. This family descends from the first known William Atterbury, who had 9 sons. One son James Atterberry was the father of Daniel Atterberry, Sr.

In the family Bible of George Kirby, Sr., these entries, pertaining to a family of atterberry's. Identified as the family of Bluford Atterberry, brother of Dorcus (Atterberry) Kirby.

"Heirs of Bluford Atterbery*, Martha; Calvin; Ann; Nancy Ellen, William son of Harward Atterberry, d. 17 Nov 1862."

* Bluford Atterberry, m Menard co., Ill, 22 Dec 1841, Narcissa Davis.
Posted: 22 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2002 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Atteberry, Atterberry, Atterbury, Kirby
Thanks I have all that. It is the 3 sons of William Howard Atteberry, s/o Richard J., s/o Thomas 18 I am concerned about.

I am trying to probe that the three boys housed in these homes are William Howard's sons. Was his wife Martha a Kirby? Is that why they are here, as William's family was an entirely different branch.

What happened to these boys? I know that Jefferson E. married Nancy Hohimer and have followed them in the census. But I still don't know for certain that Jefferson's parents were William Howard Atteberry and Martha.

Can you shed any light on these 3 boys?

Marg~

Re: Atterberry info.

Christina Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2003 3:32AM GMT
Surnames: Atterberry
My gr. grandmother was Nancy Ellen Atterberry. She married my gr. grandfather, John Cobus Schone. I am interested in what information you have on the Atterberrys.
Please email me privately at: agleason@casscomm.com

Thanks!
Christina Schone-Gleason

Christine Schone-Gleason (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2004 5:52PM GMT
Virginia, I am one of the heirs of Bluford and Nancy Atterberrry. My gr. grandmother was Nancy Emma Atterberry who married John Schone.
What information do you have on this family line?
Please email me at: agleason@casscomm.com

Thanks!

Re: Atteberry Family in Menard Co, IL

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Atteberry Atterberry
Does anyone know how I could obtain information about Bluford's death in 1854? I believe the county only started requiring death certificates in 1877 or thereabouts. Would there have been a newspaper obit; if so, what newspaper? As a county road commissioner and client of Abe Lincoln, you would think that his passing would merit some attention. I'm curious as to the cause of death. Thank you.

Posted: 18 Jun 2011 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Swarens, Atterberry
Does anyone know the source for Swarens; Nancy's maiden name?

Posted: 23 Jul 2014 10:03PM GMT
Surnames: Kirby
You mention the family bible of George Kirby Sr.; is it possible to obtain a copy, or is this available in a library or historical society? Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic