Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Henning Ostlie and Ingabor Halvorson

Looking for info on Henning Ostlie and Ingabor Halvorson

Greg Ostlie (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 4:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HALVORSON, OSTLIE
Looking for any info on Henning Ostlie and Ingabor Halvorson. They lived in Northwood N.D. Born around 1878-1880. Have no idea on death dates. Had 7 children, Ernst (my Grandfather), Martin, Howard, Helmina, Nora, Orhpie, Palmer.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Greg

Re: Looking for info on Henning Ostlie and Ingabor Halvorson

Posted: 16 Dec 2001 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2002 6:07PM GMT
Still looking for any info. My new address is
grostlie@attbi.com or Netmart@bigplanet.com.
Any info would be of great help.
Thanks
Greg

Re: Henning Ostlie

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: Ostlie, Buraas
I am a granddaughter of Syver Ostlie who was a brother to Laurits Ostlie. Laurits married Mathilda Lindstrom who had a son named Henning (last name Hendrum I believe). Henning was born in Sweden and came to the United States as a child. He lived with Laurits and Mathilda and took the last name Ostlie. He is listed in church confirmation records as being the son of Laurits but I don't believe there was ever a formal adoption. Last names were commonly changed especially with Norwegians. I'm interested in discovering what happened to the children of the half-brother (Leonard Ostlie) and half-sister (Edith Bielen, later known as Edith Spurrier) of Henning. Leonard died shortly after Laurtis; his three children were Lloyd, Raymond, and Murtise.

I may have a copy of Henning's obituary but it will take some time to unearth it if I do.

Further background on the family: Gulbrand Anderson (born in 1796 and died in 1901) came to Iowa in about 1860 at the age of 64. All four of his living children (one died in infancy) came at some point also. His children were
(1) Anders Gulbrandson who never married;
(2) Peder Gulbrandson (later Ostlie) who settled first near Clermont, Iowa and then in Grand Forks County and had 9 children who lived to adulthood (Mathia Buraas, Gustava Berg, Olaf Ostlie, Laurits Ostlie, Emma Nelson, Andrew Ostlie, Caroline Haakenson, Jacob Ostlie, and Syver Ostlie);
(3) Marie Gulbrandsdatter who married Ulrich Hanson (name later changed to Buraas) and who settled in Iowa also and had six children (Inger Bjerke, Hannah Johnson, Herman Buraas, Gilbert Buraas, Mathilda Thingelstad, and Mina Anderson);
(4) Martin Gulbrandson (later Ostlie) who settled near Northwood, North Dakota and had two children (Herman Ostlie and Johanna Thompson);
(5) Karine Gulbrandsdatter who married Lars Hanson (who also took the last name Ostlie)and who settled near Clermont, Iowa and had 5 children (Gilbert Ostlie, Hilda Aanes, Christine Kittelson, Mina Olson, Inger Marie Lien, and Josephine Lien).
Gulbrand Anderson and his children Anders, Marie, and Karine are all buried at the East Clermont Cemetery.

I am looking for information on descendants of any of the persons mentioned above.

Thank you.

Cindy Ostlie

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 3:42AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2004 7:10PM GMT
There were Ostlies living in Hatton when I was growing up there in the 1950s and 1960s.

Are you aware of the Ostlies listed in the Red River Valley Genealogy Society Cemetery Book for Traill County? There are Ostlies in St. John Lutheran Cemetery north of Hatton and also in the Americus Cemetery just outside Reynolds. I have the cemetery book if you need lookups on these people.

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 3:47AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2004 7:10PM GMT
You will also want to check the Naturalization and Biography databases at the NDSU Institute for Regional Studies at http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndirs/bio&genealogy/index.... for Ostlies.

Posted: 2 Aug 2002 9:51PM GMT
Cindy,
I'm the greatgranddaughter of Hilda Ostlie who married Ole Aanes in Clermont IA. I don't have much on the Ostlie's but lots on the Aanes family.
Ann Aanes Tellor

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 2:01PM GMT
In going through my records on the Ostlie family, I find that Gudbrand Anderson also used the surname Kolen as did his daughter Karina.

Posted: 16 Nov 2002 11:20PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 5:34PM GMT
My message isn't about Henning Ostlie, but rather Peter and Marie Ostlie's family. Marthea Ostlie Buraas was my great great grandmother. Her daughter Gunda Louise Buraas Bry was my great grandmother, whose son Hazell P Bry was my grandfather. My mom Connie Bry Portrey is 77. We're trying to find more info on the Ostlie family. I have information that Grandpa's sister Florence wrote in 1971. I'm not sure all the names are correct. I have Peter and Marie's children listed as Marthea, Gusta, Lena, Emma, Olaf, Gilbert, Andrew, Jacob, Lauritz and Sever. My info is that Marthea born 20 Mar 1856 married Hans Christian Buraas in 1872. They had 5 children. She died on 1 Dec 1932. Any other information I can get on the Ost

lie family in the US and prior to cooming from Norway would be appreciated. Thanks for whatever you can share.

Greg Holter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 2:23AM GMT
According to the Red River Valley Genealogical Society cemetery book for Traill County, the following are buried at St. John Lutheran Cemetery just north of Hatton, and about a mile south of the Grand Forks County Line:
Andrew P. Ostlie (father), 1868 - 1951
Dorothea Ostlie (mother), 1871 - 1944
Melvin C. Ostlie, 1891 - 1935.

There is also a Margit H. Ostlie in a different location in the same cemetery, 1911 - 1968.

Greg Holter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 2:51AM GMT
In the Hatton, North Dakota, Diamond Jubilee book published in 1959, on p. 74, there is an entry for Engebret O. Berg in Newburgh Township, Steele County (just west of Hatton). It says that he married Gustava Ostlie on Feb. 16, 1879. Engebret and family later moved to Northwood. His last home was in Grand Forks, where he died Jan. 19, 1917,and his wife on August 28, 1935. Ten children: Martin, Otilda (Mrs. Morque), George, Edwin, Oliver, Clarence, William, Walter, Ervin. One son died in infancy. There is a picture of Engebret. There is some further information on Engebret. You can contact me for a photocopy of the writeup.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic