Search for content in message boards

Where is Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Carroll Co,, VA?

Where is Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Carroll Co,, VA?

Bertha B. Buttner (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2006 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MCMILLIAN, AYERS, BOWMAN, GUYNN
Does anyone know where Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery is located? I only know it's located in Carroll County.
When I went to ePodunk it shows two cemeteries with the name of Oak Grove (no mention of a baptist church). One of the cemeteries is shown as beeing at Ward's Gap Road and Oak Grove Trail and the other is shown as being on Oak Grove Road near Rivendell. So I am wondering which one is the location for Oak Grove Baptist Church. I tried doing a Google search but was unable to find out anything.
Many Thanks- Bertha

Re: Where is Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Carroll Co,, VA?

Barbara Crockett New (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2006 10:43AM GMT
Surnames: New, Turner, Burnett, Felts, Land, Newman, Clifton
Bertha,

Good morning. This cemetery is located on Route 679 in Carroll. Route 52 and the Blue Ridge Parkway appear to be nearby. I found this in my book, Cemetery Records of Carroll County, VA.

I hope that this will help you.

Sincerely,
Barbara

Donna Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2006 7:12PM GMT
Not sure if either of you are local or not. But if you know the general area of Carroll you can find Oak Grove pretty easy. If not then I will explain how to get there from the VA/NC State Line. Go North on HWY 52 (from Mount Airy to Cana) about 8-10 miles to the foot of the mountain. Before you start up the mountain Rt 691 (the Bear Trail) turns to the right. You will go to the end of it, which will take you accross the foot of the mountain, and turn left. The church is on the right right after you turn, or you may go just a little ways, I can't remember since it has been several years since I visited the cemetery. If you are in the town of Mount Airy you can take Main Street north and after crossing the NCVA state line it turns into Rt 679. It is probably 10 up that road to the church.
I have a great-aunt and uncle buried there. Who were you looking for?

Re: Where is Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Carroll Co, VA?

Posted: 8 Apr 2006 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Burnett, Clifton, Felts, Land, New, Newman, Turner
Good evening. I actually visit Carroll whenever I can, as I have many ancestors in that area and the Mount Airy area as well.

So glad that you were able to provide such detailed directions!

- Barbara

Posted: 8 Apr 2006 1:54AM GMT
"One of the cemeteries is shown as beeing at Ward's Gap Road and Oak Grove Trail and the other is shown as being on Oak Grove Road near Rivendell. So I am wondering which one is the location for Oak Grove Baptist Church."
I think I know where it is now but just wanted to confirm which one was which. I have some distant cousins buried there.
Most of my family on my mom's side of the family live in that area, actually most live in Ararat, which is in Patrick County. I have relative buried in the Montgomery-Hall Cemetery which is in Patrick County. I know where it is also.

Posted: 8 Apr 2006 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Burnett, Clifton, Felts, Land, New, Newman, Turner
My Grandfather and his folks lived in Patrick County also. I still need to make a trip out to that courthouse as well.

Glad you could get clarification on the cemetery.

- Barbara

Becky Martin (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2006 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: McMillian, Hicks, Snow, Aker(s), Moser
I visited this cemetery and took pictures of many of the tombstones, mostly the McMillians. The church and cemetery is located on the Ward's Gap Rd. My ancestor, Dudley McMillian, lived across the ridge from there and is likely buried in the McMillian family cemetery.

Who is your McMillian ancestor?

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 5:21PM GMT
Actually I don't really have any McMillian ancestors. I have some cousins by marriage.

One of these cousins- Samuel Cassell McMillian is not buried in Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery but in the Mt. Bethel Moravian Church Cemetery.

I can't remember now why it was that I wanted to know where Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery was.

Thanks anyway. :)

Haynes in Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery in Carroll Co, Va

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:55PM GMT
I have many memorials on Findagrave for Haynes. Would like to get them linked together but they are not part of my family. If anyone can help, please let me know. Some given names are Winney, Emily, Lucy, Arbie (#95832041), David, Dessie, G.R., Garland, George, Georgia, Harley, Hassie, Ida, James, etc. I have included FAG # for Arbie to get you to the correct cemetery. Thanks, Denise<><
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions