Search for content in message boards

Archibald McRobert, 1790s, Presbyterian minister

Archibald McRobert, 1790s, Presbyterian minister

Posted: 12 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2001 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: McROBERT, MCROBERTS, MOSELEY, WILSON
Am searching for information about Rev. Archibald McRobert (or McRoberts), who was a charter member of Hampden-Sidney College and an organizer of the Presbyterian church in Prince Edward County in the late 1700s. He married Elizabeth Munford, daughter of Robert Munford and Ann Bland. In 1800, he and (his son?)Theodorick McRobert served on a Republican Committee from PE Co. to advise President Jefferson on the reelection of Republicans. Theodorick and another son (I presume), Ebenezer, appear on the 1910 Prince Edward Co. census.

Here are some McRobert(s) marriages that I have collected from Prince Edward County, that may be helpful to someone:

EBENEZER MCROBERT married MARY FOSTER, 20 Dec 1793, Prince Edward County, VA
THEODORICK MCROBERT married Agnes MORTON, 18 Oct 1792, Prince Edward County, VA
AGNESS W. MCROBERT married Joseph T. BAKER, 1 Jul 1824, Prince Edward County, VA
ANN B. MCROBERT married Beverly CRAWFORD, 13 Sept 1825, Prince Edward County, VA
ANN M. MCROBERT married Anthony SMITH, 5 Nov 1822, Prince Edward County, VA
ELIZABETH MCROBERT married Daniel BAKER, 26 Mar 1816, Prince Edward County, VA
ELIZABETH MCROBERT married Samuel CARTER, 11 Jan 1798, Prince Edward County, VA
MARY V. (Venable?) MCROBERT married Robert PATILLO, 19 Jan 1824, Prince Edward County, VA
SUSAN MCROBERT married John HARTMAN, 2 Feb 1829, Prince Edward County, VA

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Doesn't seem as if many people are researching this family!

Re: Archibald McRobert, 1790s, Presbyterian minister

Posted: 8 Jul 2004 1:36PM GMT
The reason not many people are not researching Archibald is because it is hard to find information.
Archibald had a son Theodoric McRobert, his daughter, Agnes Woodson McRobert married Joseph Stevens Baker, a physician and preacher. His half brother, Daniel Baker married another daugrhter of Theodoric, Elizabeth. In their son's biography of Daniel, who was famous evangelist in Texas and the world. He was Presbyterian. Joseph (you used T instead of S) was Presbyterian and turned Baptist after does of his father-in-law who is said to be first Baptist Preacher in U.S., Joseph Sevens Baker has a lot of information about him as does Daniel. William Munsford Baker (son of Daniel) did a biography of his father but only a little bit about personal history. "Life and Labors of Daniel Baker".
thanks for the above information.
I am a fifth generation from Joseph Stevens Baker.
I grew up in Monticello, Ark, daughter of Clara Belle Blackwell Wright and Jessie Lawrence Wright. I am Myrtle Joyce Wright Longcoy of Santa Fe, Texas

Posted: 6 Sep 2004 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: BLACKBOURN, VAUGHAN, McROBERT
I have absolutely no idea if this is the same man, however it could be a lead worth tracing:

Archibald McRobert m. Mariah Blackbourne/Blackburn in Madison Co, AL 11 August 1824

He must have died very quickly afterward, because she remarried in April to Edward Bressie VAUGHAN.

The VAUGHANs and BLACKBOURNs were all from VA (Mecklenburg Co. area), and had not been in AL long at this time.

Hope this is helpful.

Lisa Lewis
genehunter@satx.rr.com

Posted: 6 Sep 2004 6:47PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2005 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Watt, McRobert, Blackbourne, Morton
Lisa, thanks for the info. The Archibald McRobert you mention in your posting was actually the grandson of the Rev. Archibald that I'm researching. The Archibald McRobert who married Maria Blackbourne was born in 1777 and died 1824 in Alabama. He was the son of Theodorick Bland McRobert (who was the son of the Reverend) and Agnes Woodson Morton.

Am still interested in any information anyone out there may have on Rev. Archibald McRobert of Prince Edward County, and especially any connections to the Watt family of Buckingham County, Virginia. Alexander McRobert, a merchant in Richmond and also Archibald's brother, died in 1798 in Richmond. He apparently died childless and left his estate to his wife Mary, his brother Archibald, and "the children of William Watt of Buckingham County." Early records from Buckingham Co. were lost. Am trying to discover the relationship between Alexander McRobert and William Watt (perhaps William Watt married the sister of the McRobert brothers?).

Thanks again!

Posted: 27 Mar 2009 11:50PM GMT
I am a descendant of Rev. Archibald McRobert (he is my 5th-great-grandfather). You can learn more about him by researching Rev. Daniel S. Baker (not to be confused with his son Rev. Daniel Sumner Baker). The book about Rev. Daniel S. Baker, "Making Many Glad: The Life and Labours of Daniel S. Baker" is a compilation of Daniel's diary with comments by his son, William Munford Baker. The two Daniel Baker's are my third and second great-grandfathers.

Here is a little bit of what I have on Rev. Archibald McRobert:
Archibald McRobert was born (probably) in Scotland, ordained by Bishop of London and came to minister to his congregation in Virginia in March 1761. He was born about 1730 to 32 and died Oct. 1807 in Virginia. Prince Edward County was his home most of his life in Virginia. He married in 1762 to ELIZABETH BLAND MUNFORD, dau. of ROBERT MUNFORD and wife ANNE BLAND. His service to his adopted country is shown in an address given before the DAR Chapter in Farmville, Va. in 1928 entitled, "Prince Edward County Virginia, Archibald McRobert, Patriot, Scholar, and Man of God." See Gerald Fothergil, "Emigrant Ministers to Virginia" and also American Archives, Series 4, vol. 1, pg. 538 concerning drawing up of Resolutions in support of sister colonies, where Archibald McRobert was chosen to serve as moderator in Chesterfield County, Virginia of date July 14, 1774. Also Chairman, Committee of Safety for Chesterfield County, Virginia.

Children are as given in will of Archibald McRobert Oct. 16, 1807:
THEODORICK BLAND MCROBERT b. 1763 d. 1817
m. 1792 AGNES WOODSON MORTON
EBENEEZER MCROBERT
m. 12-20-1794 MARY FOSTER
m. 2nd 1804 MARY (or HENRIETTA) FIELD
ELIZABETH MCROBERT
m. 1-1-1798 SAMUEL CARTER

And here is a newspaper article which mentions Rev. Archibald McRobert.

Complete text from newspaper article.
MARTIN FISHER/Altavista Journal Staff Writer Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:17 PM EDT

HAT CREEK - There are some churches boasting of their Antebellum South beginnings, some of the county's oldest, but as they were just getting started, one church near Brookneal already had more than 100 years of pre-Civil War history behind it. That is why Campbell County Supervisors recognized Hat Creek Presbyterian Church's rich history and important contributions to faith, religious freedom and local spiritual development in a resolution Monday, Aug. 20. The county honors are to be formally presented to Hat Creek Presbyterian leaders and members at a future meeting of the board of supervisors. Pastor Lee HŠhnlen said Hat Creek is an active and involved congregation near Brookneal today, it even has some modern-day struggles that older congregations face in reaching out to its community. This concern comes nearly 200 years after Hat Creek's establishment of its first daughter church - in Concord, 1820, which was followed by Diamond Hill in 1846, Rustburg, 1878 and in Brookneal, 1892. Hat Creek has done a lot of adjusting and growing, and a whole lot of ministering, over its 265-year history.

HŠhnlen said a part of Hat Creek's contribution to the community is in keeping the heritage of faith alive for generations to come. "The church has a fascinating history, particularly in its early days," he said. "It was the original settlement of Europeans in this part of Virginia and had some very prominent figures among its supply pastors and installed ministers." HŠhnlen added a tragedy impacting the ability to trace an exact history occurred about 150 years ago. "There were records kept in store which were unfortunately burned in a fire during the 1850s," he said. "From what we do have, Patrick Henry worshipped here any number of times, and it was our Pastor, Archibald McRobert, who in 1799 conducted the services for Henry's burial at Red Hill," he added. "The thing that most people are proud of here is the fact that this land was pioneer territory, Hat Creek is pioneer land dating back to the arrival of John Irvin in 1738." Irvin, HŠhnlen said, claimed a great deal of land under the gubernatorial administration of Sir William Gooch. "He claimed the land by what used to be called Cabin Rights," he said. "That meant if you settled with a cabin in empty territory, the governor recognized, I think, at least 400 acres - Irvin claimed a lot of territory and his claim was recognized by then governor Gooch." HŠhnlen said much legend sits on the margins of actual history, for instance is the assertion that Gooch eagerly settled Scottish immigrants between Indian tribal areas and English settlements eastward. "It has often been claimed that he used them as a buffer, but I'm not sure I agree with that," he said. HŠhnlen was able to point the direction toward where a Monocan Indian settlement used to be just several miles from the church, and a different direction toward the fort area only one mile away. "Another legend of the church is, and I'm not sure this is settled history, but legend had it that you could not qualify as an elder of this church unless you had a working musket," HŠhnlen said. "Most people even around here don't know the original settlement is about a mile away, the remains of the old fort are still there - the original Campbell County settlement from 1738." People call the location he pointed toward Irvindale, with a road leading back called Irvindale Road. "Most roads around here, the old ones, follow the old trails and routes," he said. Hat Creek went up, the settlement then the church, at the hands of Scott-Irish settlers who had been filtering into America in the 1720s in search of economic opportunity and religious freedom. Their travels led through Pennsylvania. John Irvin took his wife, seven children and two Negro slaves to his claim - in that day the quiet, wooded wilderness. Their first structure was called a meeting house because only the officially recognized "Established Church" could use the term church. It was Gilbert Tennent of Log College fame who answered an invitation to pray over and consecrate the meeting house as a church. He stayed for a year to help establish the new church's independent stability. "Tennent was one of the original preachers of the Great Awakening," HŠhnlen said. "His father, William Tennent, founded "the Log College" which later became Princeton Theological Seminary." Numerous itinerant preachers served at Hat Creek after Tennent left. Their first minister came in 1761, the Rev. James Waddell was a renown blind preacher and orator. The church remembers its five constructed sanctuary structures, adding a 1785, 1810 and 1846 building on the lot on top of the 1742 log meeting house. In 1960, the present brick sanctuary went up. "They were very careful to preserve as much of the former construction as possible, to use it at Camp Hat Creek nearby," HŠhnlen said. A church statement of dedication in 1966 notes the congregation's due humility and thankfulness to God for their fifth church structure. "Certainly through no acts of its own has Hat Creek experienced the blessings of age and opportunity," the statement said. "[It is] Because God in his Marcy has so readily endowed it and given to its members the privilege of service - the power of service being in Him, not the members." The prayer concluding the statement was seconded by an "amen" by pastor HŠhnlen as he spoke of the church's present needs and challenges: "May Hat Creek ever guard that precious heritage, and may generations yet unborn know this church as a place where the Lord is worshipped," he said.

Posted: 4 Jul 2010 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Lundy
Your post is very interesting. The two William Munford Bakers are my great and great-great grandfathers. A third William Munford Baker was the son of Daniel B. Baker and Elizabeth Gowdy. I have my great-grandfather's bible and many of the things he gifted his wife, Cordelia Mercy Lundy. I also have an old copy of a letter he wrote in 1893 to his eldest brother, Daniel B. Baker.

Thank you for your post, as it's helped me fill in some blanks.

Katie C.

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: mcrobert lundy baker
Katie C - Re. Archibald McRobert is my great x 4 grandfather. His daughter Elizabeth married Rev. Daniel S Baker in 1816. Their son Rev. William Munford Baker (1825 - 1883) married Susan John Hartman, of whom I have no other information. Their son, William Munford Baker, Jr. (1862 - ?) married Cordelia Mercy Lundy (1864 - ?) in 1894. Their son Albert Lundy Baker (1987 - 1955) married Mary Eaton Pray (1898 - 1989). Their son, James Pray Baker (1925 - 1995) married Barbara Reynolds (1926 - 2005). I was born in 1954 - Lundy Baker (Updike). William Munford Baker Jr. and Cordelia Lundy are my great grandparents too, so we are cousins! I am trying to put together a family tree but the several Daniel Bakers are confusing. And now I read that Daniel S. Baker had a half brother, Joseph Baker? Help! I have a few pieces of Cordelia's silver, namely a few teaspoons. I was under the impression that Daniel B Baker (married to Elizabeth Gowdy) was a cousin of William Munford Baker, Jr. I thought Rev Daniel S Baker (married to Elizabeth McRobert) had two sons: Rev Daniel Sumner Baker and Rev William Munford Baker. Rev Daniel Sumner Baker had a son Daniel B Baker who married Elizabeth Gowdy (and they had a son William Munford Baker 1900-1935). Rev William Munford Baker had a son William Munford Baker, Jr who married Cordelia Lundy. Any info you have to help clear this up would be wonderful! And does the 'B' in Daniel B. Baker really stand for 'Baker'?

Thanks for any assistance!

Lundy B. Updike

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 3:11AM GMT
Lundy- You and I are cousins! Rev. Archibald MCROBERT is my 5th great-grandfather. My great-grandmother was a BAKER in this line and I have never heard of a half sibling either. My grandmother (whose mother was the Baker) continued her father's genealogy work (he was a professional genealogist). I have all of the paperwork done of this line and it does not show a half sibling.

On a side note, Rev. Archibald MCROBERT is a recognized Patriot with the DAR. The only women who have joined under him, to date, are descendants of William (Will)E. PARHAM (my great-grandfather). The DAR has him erroneously recorded as "McRoberts"

To fill in some of the blanks you have:
Susan John HARTMAN was born 1834, Virginia, died 1907. Sources include "Bakers in Midway" pg. 13, 14, 18; 1870 U.S. census, Ohio; and records from my grandmother who notes "The record says, 'Wm. Munford Baker, b. 1825 married his cousin, dau. of John Hartman and Susan G. McRobert by name of Susan G. Hartman.' "
The Susan G. MCROBERT noted above is the daughter of Theodorick Bland MCROBERT and Agnes Woodson MORTON.

I have what I refer to as the "Baker" document written 19 Dec 1936 by Will E. PARHAM. In it he writes, "There were several children born to Wm. Munford Baker and wife, though only one living is Daniel Baker Baker." You have a question mark for th date of death for William Munford Baker, Jr. Based upon Will E. PARHAM's document, he was deceased prior to 19 Dec 1936. Also, you have a birth year of 1862 for William Munford Baker, Jr. According to the book, "Bakers of Midway" (I forgot to note the page) he was born 19 Sep 1864.

I have two Joseph BAKER's in my database. One is Joseph Black BAKER b. 4 Apr 1869 who married Mary HARPER. He is the son of William Hartman BAKER. William is the son of Rev. William Munford BAKER, Sr. So this Joseph BAKER is the great-grandson of Rev. Daniel S. BAKER D.D. (1791-1857).

The other Joseph BAKER was born in 1762 and is the son of Benjamin BAKER, Sr. (1722-1785) and Elizabeth LAX.

Daniel Baker BAKER (1855-1937) who married Elizabeth GOWDY was William Munford BAKER, Jr.'s brother. They were also second cousins via the Theodorick Bland MCROBERT and Agnes Woodson MORTON lineage.

Rev. Daniel S. BAKER D.D. and Elizabeth Venable MCROBERT had four sons and three daughters (I have exact dates if you want them):
(1)Howard Melancton BAKER, Esq. (1817-1890)
(2)Theodora Louis BAKER (1818-1885) m. 1st Mr. SCOTT; m. 2nd, 7 Dec 1856 Henry S. HUGHES
(3)Daniel Speece BAKER (10 Dec 1820-19 Aug 1821)
(4)Rev. Daniel Sumner BAKER (1823-1900)
(5)Rev. William Munford BAKER, Sr. ((1825-1883)
(6)Daughter BAKER (Mar 1827-Mar 1827)
(7)Agnes Elizabeth BAKER (1829-1840)

Daniel Baker BAKER, who married Elizabeth GOWDY, was the son of Rev. William Munford BAKER, SR. not Rev. Daniel Sumner BAKER's son.
You are correct that Daniel Baker BAKER and his wife, Elizabeth GOWDY, had a son named William Munford BAKER. He was born in 1890, though, not 1900. Here is the information from his birth certificate:

"City of Newton
Certificate of Birth
Office of the City Clerk,
City Hall, Newton Centre. Oct. 2, 1935

I certify that the following is a true copy from the records of births of the City of Newton, County of Middlesex and Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

Birth Record No. 495 of 1890, Date of Birth Nov. 20, 1890.
Name of Child, William Mumford Baker
Color, Sex and Condition (as Twins, ets) White, Male, Single
Place of Birth, Centre St. Wd. 7, Newton, Mass.
Name of Father and Birthplace, Daniel B. Baker, born Washington, D.C.
Maiden Name of Mother and Birthplace, Elizabeth Gowdy, born Zenia, Ohio
Residence of Parents, Centre St. Newton, Mass.
Occupation of Father, Manufacturer
Date of Registry Jan. 1891
Attest: Frank M. Grant (Signed)
City Clerk"

Note: The copy of the certificate of birth shows William Munford Baker's middle name as Mumford not Munford.

Hope this post sorts out some of the issues.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 4:22AM GMT
I forgot to mention the court record on the death of Rev. Archibald MCROBERT's grandson, Archibald MCROBERT (who I have listed as Theodoric Archibald MCROBERT: "Court record: Departed this life on the 7th of this instant (Sept 10, 1824) Archibald McRobert, late clerk of the county court. Robert Austin appointed in his place. Sept 17 has Archibald McRobert died intestate. Maria McRobert his widow, relinquishes her right to administrate. (The estate was not enough to cover creditors and the administrator was ordered to sell slaves as soon as they came into his possession."

The record was input on the 10th; he died on the 7th.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 4:36AM GMT
I just re-read the post about a half-brother and see what the writer meant. The use of pronouns can get confusing (not a criticism of the writer; simply of the reading). I believe what was meant was that Rev. Daniel S. BAKER, D.D. (1791-1857) and Rev. Joseph Stevens BAKER (1798-unknown) were half brothers. This relationship is correct. Rev. Daniel S. Baker, D.D. was the son of Second Deacon William BAKER,Jr. and his first wife, Elizabeth (Mary) DUNHAM. Reve. Joseph Stevens BAKER was the son of Second Deacon William BAKER, Jr. and his third wife, Ann STEVENS. Second Deacon William BAKER, Jr. had only one child with his second wife, Mrs. Susanna HORNSBY (I do not have her maiden name). That child was Thomas BAKER. Susanna died 25 Mar 1795; just two months after giving birth to Thomas (30 Jan 1795).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic