Search for content in message boards

Snake Hill / Alms House / Hudson County Asylum

Snake Hill / Alms House / Hudson County Asylum

Posted: 26 Jul 2002 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Apr 2005 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: Wendling, Bartsch, Leibell, Poe, Nicastro, Demczyszyn, Annuik (for now)
Can someone help me with clarification about this institution?

My gguncle died there in December 1903. In our cemetary plot information it says place of death - Hudson County Asylum. At that point in time - was it an insane asylum, a poor house? He was very wealthy in the late 1800's - that is unless he got a bum tip on a horse! I'd love to know if he was nuts (which would explain a lot about our family - he he) or if his horse came in last!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to get a death certificate for him and I keep getting a run around by Meadowview Hospital, Progressive Nursing Center and even Trenton! HELP!

Much Thanks... Nadine

Re: Snake Hill / Alms House / Hudson County Asylum

LW (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2002 3:45PM GMT
It has always been my impression that all of the county institutions were, at one time, located together at Snake Hill. That would include the alms house, the hospital for communicable diseases (mostly TB), the minimum security prison, insane asylum,etc. Is it possible that your relative may have contracted TB? It was so prevalent in those days.
Recently, the state has become very guarded about disclosing cause of death and many people have complained that this information is not shown on copies of death certificates. This new policy has to do with the AIDS epidemic and privacy issues.
Many people - especially those who are pursuing family history are perplexed by this but it appears that little can be done to reverse the new policy.

Hope you are successful in finding the information you are seeking. Good luck!

Denise Loeffel (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 4:37PM GMT
In 1959 my grandmother also died at this state owned/run 'hospital'. Whe had been abused by an aide which eventually resulted in her death. She had been diagnosed with arteriosclorosis, however, we have found out since that she suffered from Alzheimers disease as evidenced by the fact that all of her three daughters also eventually got the disease, one of whom is still alive and suffering. When I was 18 and just out of High School I worked there as a secretary for a short while, and can say that I saw it as a minimum/maximum care facility for patients with minor to severe mental impairments. Patients with various stages of mental illness were housed on different floors. I have an Aunt, now in her 80's, who worked there for many years as a physical therapist. What exactly is your question and I will ask her what she thinks.

Posted: 5 Aug 2002 12:29AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2005 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: Bartsch, Wendling, Leibell, Kleine, Nicastro, Demczyszyn, and more to come
Hi Denise...

My exact question is... in 1903 what exactly was Snake Hill being utilized for? Was it a poor house or mental institution (even though those who there may not have been what we feel are mentally impaired).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nadine

William J.Ward (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2002 8:11PM GMT
Rich
The hospital was for both for mental and serverly physica-
-lly challenged people,and some communicable diseases.
It was called the Hudson County Lunacy Hospital,and was
owned and operated by the County.The hospital was located
at the southern (southeast) section of Secaucus,what was
known as"Snake Hill".Any records that you seek were
confiscated by the "State"and need court order to open to
get any info.as I was told.

c arduini (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2002 4:02AM GMT
My husband was put into the hospital area in 1938 when he was 9 mo. old. with diptheria. It had Catholic Nuns runnng the hospital at that time from what we are told.

Pamela Dickson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2002 1:26PM GMT
Do you have a name or address that I can contact to obtain info...my great grandfather died there April 5, 1929. Do you know why the hosiptal closed its doors, was torn down, and the records destroyed? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Posted: 8 Mar 2009 3:44PM GMT

There is a great independant film on Snake Hill, it gives a little information
on the site and what it did, it mostly focuses around a few people who had
relatives there and have found there remains. it is a very very good film,
Especially the fact that someone cared very much to even make such a film.
it is worth the investment, The fact that N.J. still remains to be a bunch of PIGS
that run the state, and it seems they (the pigs) are proud of it. This is just one example
of what N.J. YOU, the taxpayer really means to that government, NOTHING, the people in
N.J. are just slaves to a sick system( the one that can understand English anyway) Snake
Hill is just ONE example of if people don't say a word or question anything N.J will rip the
life out of you. Think about this letter! Snake Hill was a fascinating place, in a strange way,
I hope you look into this film( I just purchased it a week ago)www. legacymountainfilms.com
You may thank me after you order and watched it !

Posted: 9 Mar 2009 1:33AM GMT
NAdine, Snake Hill, as it was called, was a Hospital for Tuberculos patients, not an Insane Asylum Norm Rutan

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 2:54PM GMT
My grandmother Inga Olsen was in the insane hospital for 2 years and died there in 1918 at the age of 34. She was put in there shortly after having her 3rd baby. My mother and her 2 brothers never had any connections with any Olsens after Inga died. I would like to see her medical records while she was there and would like to know her diagnosis for being admitted there. I was in that hospital as a child when I had scarlet fever and was put in isolation.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions