Search for content in message boards

Houston City Directories of 1930's

Houston City Directories of 1930's

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 4:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SNEED, BROWN
Where can one see the city directories of Houston Texas for the 1930's?

I am trying to locate Sue Elizabeth Sneed, born about 1935 to 1937.

Her mother's name was D'Alma Sneed - father unknown.

Sue graduated from S. F. Austin High School of Houston about 1956 and married Duane Brown in Houston in 1957 and had a daughter.

We are trying to locate Sue for an "old friends" reunion.

Any help is appreciated.

Betty

Re: Houston City Directories of 1930's

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 6:58PM GMT
The Clayton Genealogy Library has the Houston City Directories on microfisch (Upstairs). Lots and lots of years!!!

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: SNEED, KEMP, BROWN
Jean,

Thanks so much for the information. Now if I can ever get to the Clayton again!

Betty

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: O'CONNOR,MacPHERSON,LONG,McQUAIG,SHERFY,
The Houston Public Library (downtown) has some of the 1930 directories in the older section of the library. They will do lookups for you, or that has been my experience.
You can call or go online to make your request.

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: O'CONNOR/MCQUAIG/LONG/MACPHERSON/BRYAN/SHERFY/RAYNER
The Houston Public Library (downtown) has several 1930 directories in the original bldg. I called them and also went online and entered my query. They answered in a very short time. I think they only have the actual directories. Nothing on microfilm/microfiche.
Hope this helps.

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 4:41PM GMT
I can't remember if Downtown Library has actual city directores or not. I know Austin Archives do, but you can't photo copy original books. I generally take my digital camera to take pics of any books that can't be photocopied.

Clayton has city directores on microfisch which you can get copies of.

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 4:43PM GMT
One other thing, they are closing down the Downtown (Main) Library because they are buiding a new one. I believe 1st floor area will be closing in April, and other floors are closing at the end of the month. You'd have to call to verify data. I made a REALLY fast / short trip there last week.

Jean

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: SNEED, BROWN, KEMP
Oliver,

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can get from them on line since I live in Colorado County ( 75 miles west of Houston) I am a little far to drive in with todays gas prices! Yesterday it was $2.55 9/10 per gallon!!!! No telling what it is today.

Betty

Lana Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2006 11:30PM GMT
Don't know if you've found Sue Sneed but I will give you the bare bones of what I have found. If you want me to "flesh it out" a bit, let me know. County clerk records show Sue Elizabeth Sneed (age20)marrying Duane Robert Brown (age25) on 10/05/1957.
Houston City Directories:
1936 Sneed, Mrs C.O. + Mrs. Bessie L. Kemp r. 627 Hahlo
1937/38 Sneed, De Alma r.627 Hahlo (Mrs. Bessie Kemp also there)
Directories list Sneed with various spellings of D'Alma at 627 Hahlo through 1977 when 627 Hahlo is vacant. The 1978 directory shows Mrs. Delma Kemp as owner of 627 Hahlo. The next directory at Clayton Library is 1986 and there is no D'Alma Sneed or Sue Brown.The 1940 directory shows Mrs. Sneed with 3 children. In 1957 Sue E. Sneed (sec. Med Business Servc) and Thomas Vance Sneed are listed at 627 Hahlo. In 1958 there is also Douglas (Claire) USAF. Tom (age 29)married Nebra or Nedra Jean Finch (21)in Nov. 1961 and they lived at 4414 Kelling. D'Alma worked at Sheffield Steel and then Armco Steel until she retired around 1975. I don't know if this can help you find Sue but it is all I can offer. I can check to see who owns 627 Hahlo now, if that might help.

Posted: 1 Sep 2006 12:17AM GMT
Surnames: SNEED, BROWN, KEMP, FINCH
Lana,

You do not know how much I appreciate this information! If you were here I would give you a big bouquet of "Texas" Yellow Roses!!!

I think I found D' Alma in Brazos County TX when she died --- if this is her. Wondering if maybe she and Sue moved there so that Sue could attend college.

I am also wondering if Sue and Duane divorced. I know they had at least one daughter born in about 1958, but the birth records for that year does not show parents, so cannot determine which one would be hers. Duane was in the Military at the time they married so they may have moved out of state if he was transfered.

So many of our old friends have passed away and the few that are remaining got together the first part of this year for a reunion and hope to continue this and really would like for Sue to be there too.

With the names of her brothers & their wives manybe something will lead us to Sue!

Again I thank you..........

Betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions