PEREIRA, STOWERS

Posted: 18 Jul 2005 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PEREIRA, STOWERS
Hello -

Very interested in connecting with anyone researching the surnames:

~PEREIRA~
~STOWERS~

Both surnames settling in the South Seas - Samoa[Western and American] and Tokelau Islands.

May have connections with Australia and New Zealand.

Your help/thoughts with my quest to 'connect' is deeply appreciated.

Regards,

--Manaia

Re: PEREIRA, STOWERS

Sarai Duffy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2006 8:21PM GMT
Va Stowers was married to my late cousin Mapu Palepoi and their family is from Vaitoloa, Upolu, Samoa. The other Stowers are from the family in Fagali'i, Upolu, Samoa. I was friends and knew Tolai and Peter Stowers who are now living in either NZ or Australia.

Sarai Duffy

Christine Liava'a (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 2:29AM GMT
According to the book "Tokelau- a historical ethnography' by J Huntsman & A Hooper,
Antonio Pereira / Antonio Perera Vitorino de Barres was a Cape Verdean Portuguese " who arrived in Fakaofo (Tokelau) to trade for A. Unshelm / the German firm in mid 1863. He travelled between Fakaofo and Samoa, where he also had interests, until sometime in the 1870s, when he left his affairs in Fakaofo in the hands of his son, to whom he willed his Fakaofo assets".

The son's name was Jose Pereira /Peleila/
He married Moiki, the daughter of Lea, a Tokelauan who was an early convert to LMS Christianity in Samoa. Lea returned to Tokelau in 1858 and lived in Fakaofo, where he was the local leader of the LMS.

Moiki however converted to Roman Catholicism when she married Peleila in the 1880s. They had many children. Jose Pereira also fathered children by 2 other women

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 12:07PM GMT
Surnames: HUNT, STOWERS
Sarai:

Would Va Stowers be related to the HUNTs of the same village - Vaitoloa, Upolu, Samoa?

Lui STOWERS m. 1942 Feiloa'i HUNT. Feiloa'i is the descendant of John Hale HUNT of England.

Fa'afetai/Thanks!
Manaia

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: de BARRES, PEREIRA, PERERA, STOWERS, VITORINO
Christine:

Gratitude! and appreciation for information you supplied in order that I may continue my PEREIRA/STOWERS journey. Below is message I have posted with PORTUGAL messageboard - Thanks!
++++++++++

According to the book "Tokelau- a historical ethnography' by J Huntsman & A Hooper,
Antonio Pereira/Antonio Perera Vitorino de Barres was a Cape Verdean Portuguese " who arrived in Fakaofo (Tokelau) to trade for A. Unshelm / the German firm in mid 1863. He travelled between Fakaofo and Samoa, where he also had interests, until sometime in the 1870s, when he left his affairs in Fakaofo in the hands of his son, to whom he willed his Fakaofo assets". The son's name was Jose Pereira.
++++++++++

I am searching info for:
Antonio Pereira / Antonio Perera Vitorino de Barres was a Cape Verdean Portuguese.

Does he have two names? And if so, do I look under each and every surname listed? PEREIRA? PERERA? VITORINO? de BARRES?

I am needing to confirm the name[s] of child[ren] and/or history of Antonio PEREIRA,

Appreciate ALL responses for this journey.
Manaia
~=~=~=

Sarai Duffy (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jan 2006 5:00AM GMT
Manaia, that would be a reality because Va's younger sister Alaisa (Hunt) Brown are close friends with Selena Hunt and are both from Vaitoloa. I saw them both at a reunion in Kearns, Utah a year ago. Selena Hunt was married to Adrian Roberts and Alaisa is married to Simi Brown from Malaela, Aleipata. Have a great week!

Sarai

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 10:19AM GMT
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p...

Now on to Cape Green Authorities where he was born and which island??

Regards,
Manaia

Christine Liava'a (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2006 6:45PM GMT

Posted: 21 Aug 2006 10:51AM GMT
Surnames: Hunt, Broederlow
Hi, my names Ludeen (Broederlow) Stocks Qld Australia. Read your email..Selena Hunt is my first cousin - my mothers name is Talaifualetalalelei Lily Hunt of Vaitoloa. ....are your researching John Hale Hunt of Vaitoloa ?

Sarai Duffy (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2006 4:59AM GMT
Hi Ludeen,

Great to hear from you.....I am not reseaching Hale Hunt. My niece was married to Pisa Hunt. He passed away a year ago. I know Selena when I was in school in Pesega. So Lily Hunt is your mom. What a small world! Which Broederlow are you married to? My cousin Elaine Siteine is married to Harry Broederlow and they live in NZ. As a matter of fact Harry's brother Peter is married to my little sister Bonita and their son Johnny and his wife Melanie and their little girl were here visiting with us for five days. They left for NZ last Wednesday. Take care,
Sarai Duffy (Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions