Search for content in message boards

Tierneys of Iowa

Tierneys of Iowa

Rich Ludwig (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2001 1:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm seeking info on Cahrles Tierney, b. 12-2-1824 CO Wexford. Died 11-18-01. Buried in Allamakee Co. Iowa. Any info on parents, siblings, spouce, children would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich Ludwig

Re: Tierneys of Iowa

Posted: 6 Dec 2001 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2004 5:02AM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Alberts, Maire, Copper, Johnston, Hillman, Spry, Barnes, Wilson
I am sure you mean Charles Tierney. I do have a Charles George Tierney, b 11 Oct 1867, Ferryville, Wisconsin. Father Patrick Dorsey Tierney b. 25 Feb 1836. Patrick's father was Thadius Tierney, born in Ireland.
Charles' brother, Harry Archie Tierney died in Lansing, Alamakee, Iowa and four of his ninr siblings were born there, so I know there is some connection if only that the families knew each other.
I am thinking there is a possiblity that your Charles was an uncle or some type of relation since his birthdate puts him in that generation.

Rich Ludwig (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2001 4:17PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. Your right that I mean Charles. Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain. I'll check your info and get back to you.

Thanks, Rich Ludwig

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2002 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Tierney-Copper-Hutchins
Rich,

My gr. grandmother was Francis Elizabeth Tierney b. 7-20-1876 in Lansing, Allamakee co., Iowa. She had a brother named Charles, but his dates are b.10-11-1867 Ferryville, Crawford, Wscn. died August 1928 in Spokane. There were other siblings, parents names were Patrick Daniel Tierney and Eliza Jane Copper. I'm not sure if we can help one another? But the town Lansing and the name Tierney, too much for me to pass by. Reply,
Correen

Bernie Ernst (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2002 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Monahan
I have a Michael Tierney (b. abt. 1860 in Ennis Parish, County Clare, Ireland) who emigrated to Iowa (Adair County) by way of New Jersey, then Pennsylvania. He married a Mary Monahan on April 30, 1888 in Adair County, Iowa.

Their children included: Anna, Thomas, Agnes, Kathyrn, Monica, Marguerite, Rose, Marie, Daniel and two others.

Any matches out there?

joann o'meara (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2002 12:13AM GMT
I have A James Monahan,Michael Monahan, and a Michele
Monahan related to McGinns, and O'Meara's. I do not know about the Tierney.
I have an Elizabeth Tierney married to A Thomas O'MEARA, THAT married up in Ontario Canada about 1820 or 1825 and then moved to Clinton CO. IOWA about 1850 to 1855.
I believe Elizabeth Tierney O'Meara died in about 1858 and is buried at Immaculate Conception cemetery near Petersville or Delmar IA.
i THINK there was a large group of Irish that all came from Canada at the same time and intermarried. Names like
Spain, McGINN, Costello,O'Meara. Some of the families may
have stopped off along the way from Canada. There were some Tierneys buried in Fallowfied in Ontario. Joann

Richard Ludwig (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2002 1:07PM GMT

Bernie,

I don't think we have a link that I am able to trace. My Tierney's came to Allamakee Co. The earliest link is Charles Tierney, born 2 Dec 1824 in County Wexford, Ireland, died 18 Nov 1901. He is buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Waukon, IA. His wife was Anna Keegan. His mothers maiden name was Moore. Let me know if this has any links to your Tierney family.

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 1:10PM GMT

Joanne,

I don't think we have a link that I am able to trace to the Tierneys identified by Bernie Ernst. My Tierney's came to Allamakee Co. The earliest link is Charles Tierney, born 2 Dec 1824 in County Wexford, Ireland, died 18 Nov 1901. He is buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Waukon, IA. His wife was Anna Keegan. His mothers maiden name was Moore. Let me know if this has any links to your Tierney family.

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 1:10PM GMT

Joanne,

I don't think we have a link that I am able to trace to the Tierneys identified by Bernie Ernst. My Tierney's came to Allamakee Co. The earliest link is Charles Tierney, born 2 Dec 1824 in County Wexford, Ireland, died 18 Nov 1901. He is buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Waukon, IA. His wife was Anna Keegan. His mothers maiden name was Moore. Let me know if this has any links to your Tierney family.

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 3:13PM GMT
Edited: 18 Oct 2002 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: TIERNEY, DORSEY, COPPER
Coreen,
We do share the same line. Is your mother Goldie Hutchins? I have been looking at your family group record for years. The only difference I can see is that I have Patrick's middle name as Dorsey (after his mother's maiden name). What do you have on his father Thaddius, aka "Wild Toddy Wall" aka, Toddy Tierney? Family research by Uncle Harvey says he lied about his name and on his death bed said his name was not Tierney but that no one would ever know his real name. There was supposedly a dispute with the church in Ireland because they wouldn't realease family land they were keeping in trust and he left "in the middle of the night." For this or some reason they think he used his mother's maiden name, and came to Canada. We think his name might have been Stafford, Mother Sioban Tierney and father John Stafford. But I have no documentation and haven't researched myself yet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions