Search for content in message boards

Obit lookup please-Hickey

Obit lookup please-Hickey

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hickey
I need someone to please find me an obit or death record for a J C Hickey born 2-jan-1834 and died 30-may-1936 in Hunt County. He is buried in Webb Hill Cemetery and I think he may be my great great grandmothers father. She is supposed to be buried there also, but I cant find any record of her either. Her name was Mary Catherine Hickey Morgan, b.1865 and died 1900 in Hunt county also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Tonya Jones

J. C. Hickey (102-yo, - 30 May 1936)

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Greenville (Texas) Banner, Monday, 1 Jun 1936, page 6:

Centenarian and Civil War Veteran Is Buried Today

One of the oldest Civil War veterans in Texas was borne to a grave in Webb Hill cemetery this afternoon.

He was J. C. Hickey, 102, who died in the Old Soldiers’ Home at Austin Saturday. His funeral services were held at White Rock where he lived for years.

The centenarian, last of his immediate family, is survived only by great grandchildren and other distant relatives, a number of who reside in this county.

Greenville (Texas) Messenger, Thursday, 4 Jun 1936, page 8:

CENTENARIAN IS BURIED W. ROCK

J. C. Hickey, 102, who died in the Confederate Home at Austin, was buried in Webb Hill Cemetery in the White Rock section on Monday.

This old Confederate soldier in 1929, at the age of 95, went to the Confederate Home at Austin.

A native of Tennessee he settled in the White Rock section in 1885, at the age of 51, lived there for 44 years and had spent seven years in the Confederate Home at Austin.

He was long a member of the Methodist Church and the latter years of his life had been connected with the Free Methodist Church.

His wife and seven children preceded him in death but he is survived by nine grand-children; twenty-nine great-grand-children and six great-great-grand children.

He was once wounded in action in the Civil War and had known many and great hardships, but lived through a whole century, with two years extra.
Attachments:

John Calaway Hickey

Posted: 28 Jul 2007 9:10AM GMT
Classification: Military
A friend, with an interest in and experience with Civil War veterans (Confederate and Union) buried in Hunt County, provided this addendum:
He is listed as having served in Co. B., 29th Tenn. Inf. & Co. G, 27th Tenn. Inf. His full name is John Calaway Hickey.

Re: John Calaway Hickey

Posted: 29 Jul 2007 3:28AM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. He has been a brickwall for me for several years, and I am still hunting his wife. You gave me some great leads to work on. If you come up with anything else that you think may help me, i would appreciate it very much.
Thanks again,
Tonya Jones

Re: Obit lookup please-Hickey

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan
was Daniel J. Morgan. (Daniel is buried in Dickens County, but does have a headstone in Wolfe City at Mt. Carmel Cemetery.) Daniel was 1st married to Josephine, but I had info that he then married Mary C. Morgan. My aunt Orpha confirmed his burial place, but then she mentioned "mollie" Hickey. (need to double check again), but she said that she was buried at Webb Hill Cemetery. That's where I located J.C. Hickey. I'm just starting to search Homer's side of the family! Please email me if you have located any more info...tmorgan112@hotmail.com

Posted: 31 May 2012 5:02PM GMT
Tonya, My great grandfather...
was Daniel J. Morgan. (Daniel is buried in Dickens County, but does have a headstone in Wolfe City at Mt. Carmel Cemetery.) Daniel was 1st married to Josephine, but I had info that he then married Mary C. Morgan. My aunt Orpha confirmed his burial place, but then she mentioned "mollie" Hickey. (need to double check again), but she said that she was buried at Webb Hill Cemetery. That's where I located J.C. Hickey. I'm just starting to search Homer's side of the family! Please email me if you have located any more info...tmorgan112@hotmail.com

Posted: 1 Jun 2012 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan
Tonya, I found out a little more information. My great grandmother was Mary C. "Mollie" Hickey Morgan. My aunt says that she IS buried at Webb Hill Cemetery in Wolfe City, but apparently she does not have a headstone. She did not die until at least 1905, because she had my grandfather, Homer, in Feb. 1905. (The 1910 Census lists my great grandfather (Daniel) as a widower at that time, and Homer (a/k/a Nomah)as 5.) She was born in Tennessee, and was in Texas by 1890 b/c that's when she married Daniel. This makes me wonder too, if she is the daughter to John Calaway Hickey who is also buried at Webb Hill. (He was also from Tennessee, and he was in the Wolfe City area by 1885.) tmorgan112@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic