Search for content in message boards

DAVEY from Drumiskabole...geography lesson needed!

DAVEY from Drumiskabole...geography lesson needed!

Jeanne Foley Dwyer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2003 12:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAVEY, WALSH
Hello, Listers!
My great-grandfather James Davey, f. Michael, m. Bridget Walsh, was born 9 Aug. 1865, in Drumiskibbole, according to Civil Registration. I checked goldenpages.ie for any Daveys in Drumiskibbole today and found seven!!!! The problem is the addresses included Ballisodare as part of the address. I then went to seanruad.com to find out about each townland. Drumiskibbole is in the Barony of Carbury, Civil Parish of St. Johns, whereas Ballysadare is in the Barony of Tirerrill, Civil Parish of Ballysadare. Does someone know Sligo well enough to instruct me as to how Daveys today could reside in both places at once??!!! Thanks for any help on this.
Jeanne

Re: DAVEY from Drumiskabole...geography lesson needed!

marian (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2003 11:21PM GMT
Drumiskabole is probably in the postal district of Ballisodare which would explain why the addresses you found include Ballisodare. This is common in Ireland. Marian

Jeanne Foley Dwyer (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2003 2:47PM GMT
Well, thank you, Marian! That's a perfectly logical explanation, which goes nicely with all the map-directed answers I've been given. I appreciate your answer!
Thanks again!
Jeanne

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 9:10PM GMT
Hi, I know that this message was posted in 2003 but I just thought that I would reply anyways. Ballysadare (aka Ballisadare) is 1 minute away from Drumiskabole (incorrectly spelt in voting register/census as Drumaskibole). It's right beside each other. Some people from Drumiskabole would say they reside in Ballisadare.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 2:23AM GMT
Thanks very much for your reply, moranolivia. Still here! Do you know any Daveys in this area? I never have established if anyone related to my line is still around.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 8:17AM GMT
Hi, There are loads of Davey's still living in Drumiskabole/Ballysadare area. It's probably the most common name in the area. There are also some davey's that I know have done family tree's. If you send me a short summary of your davey line, I can try and find out some info for you! My email is moranolivia@yahoo.co.uk or at the least try and get you a contact.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 2:00AM GMT
Thank you so much! You don't happen to be working with irelandxo.com, do you? I am a parish admin from afar for a parish in Clare. I will send you an email. thanks again!

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 9:29AM GMT
Hi, unfortunately I don't work with irelandxo.com. I am just doing my own research at the moment.

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Davey
Hi Jeanne,

I have Davey relatives in Drumiskabole, Sligo. My line is through Patrick Davey b.1856 married to Mary L Davey (maiden name unknown as yet). They had 3 children that I know of although I am sure there are more(!) Patrick b.1896, Michael b.1898 in Drumiskabole and John b.1899.
Michael Davey is my Great Grandfather. He died in 1970, also in Drumiskabole. We have living relatives in Drumiskabole today. Im based in England but if you think there could be a connection please feel free to get in touch :)
Laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions