Search for content in message boards

McVey or McVeigh, KY

Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:52PM GMT
I had relatives named McKee and O'Brien. They worked in the
mines in McVey and Stone in Pike County.

McVeigh

Lisha Whitt (View posts)
Surnames: Smith, Whitt, Sullivan
McVeigh, KY is in Pike County. It is close to Stone, McAndrews, Pinsonfork and Belfry. It was definitely a coal mining town with many coal camp houses still in existence. Let me know if I can be of further help.

McVey or McVeigh, KY

Edited: 4 Feb 2006 6:14PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Reed
My mother grew up in a coal mining town that I believe she said was named McVey or McVeigh. Is anyone familiar with this town?

Thanks!
Linda

McVeigh, KY

Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Boothe
You say "was definitely a coal mining town with many coal camp houses still in existence." Is the town still there?

Thanks!
Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Booth, Boothe
Wow, Lisha, that's great information! If my mom's interested, I'd love to take her back to visit and get some firsthand information. She jsut recently told me that she lived near a train yard as a child and often fell asleep to the sounds of the men hooking and unhooking the empty coal cars, if you can imagine that!

Thanks so much!

Linda

McVeigh

Lisha Whitt (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Whitt, Smith
McVeigh is next door to Stone, Kentucky. I know Stone was once a busy little town, because efforts are underway to make it a tourist attraction. McVeigh and Stone are primarily residential areas now with Pikeville, KY and Williamson, WV nearby. The camp houses are still in existence in many areas of Pike County, Kentucky and Mingo County, West Virginia. I know Eastern Coal was a primary coal operator for many, many years at Stone, but I believe the town was created by Henry Ford's Stone Mining Company to provide coal for his factories. You may want to check out the Williamson Daily News online edition. I saw where Patty Loveless was filming her next video at some coal camp locations at Stone last week. They may have some pictures. There have also been several articles on preserving the heritage of the area. Stone is across the mountain from many tourist attractions relating to the Hatfield and McCoy feud and the Matewan Massacre and there are efforts underway to preserve the coal houses and company stores still there. I also know that many coal miners lived in the McVeigh area because I remember my grandmother saying that the people on Blackberry use to cross the mountain over to McVeigh through Homemade Hollow to sell their vegetables and canned food to the miners. I'm sure others from the message board could add much more to what I've told you. Let me know how your search goes.

Re: McVey or McVeigh, KY

Renna Akers (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2001 1:56AM GMT
My fathers family is from McVeigh Ky. it is a very small town I know many people from there maybe I can help if you let me know what you need.

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2002 2:02AM GMT
I grew up at McVeigh and still have family around the area. It was a coal mining camp and I have many happy memories there. My grandmother who passed away at 100 years last year came to McVeigh when she was 16 years old and raised her family there. Would be interested in helping if I can. Good luck

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 7:37PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2003 7:13PM GMT
Yes I am familiar with McVeigh, Ky. I grew up at McAndrews which is right below McVeigh. It is at the head of Pond Creek
What do you need to know?

Re: McVeigh

Pat McCracken (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2003 7:13PM GMT
I visited McVeigh this last July, and was disapppointed with what has happened to it. Many of the homes had disappeared and most of the others remaining were remnants of former homes. A few were still occupied. I remember a vibrant life there. My family were John and Dovie Hanner grandparents, and uncle Ira (R-E) Hanner who mined there all of his life.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions