Search for content in message boards

Siblings of Hubbard Kavanaugh Moore

Siblings of Hubbard Kavanaugh Moore

George May (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2001 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Moore,McGuire,Alley,Barney,Wright
I am researching the family of my g-grandfather, Hubbard Kavenaugh Moore, son of James H. andd Mahala Carter Moore,listed in pct.5, #104, on the 1880 Lawrence Co. census. Any information about the other brothers and sisters would be appreciated.

Re: Siblings of Hubbard Kavanaugh Moore

Posted: 27 Apr 2002 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thompson, Barr
I am researching the Thompson family in Lawrence County Kentucky. Hubbard descendants according to the family files in this way: James Hiram Moore and Mahala Carter, John Thompson Moore and Frances Grayson or Cragon, William P. Moore and Nancy Thompson, Robert Thompson ( born in Ireland) and Margaret Barr Thompson.
I have found the marriage record for Kavanagh and Nancy Curnutte Moore. It's listed in this way: Vicie ( must have been a nickname) Curnutte and Kavanagh Moore 1891. I believe you can get a copy of the marriage record from Lawrence County. I believe also that Kavanaugh had a brother John C. who married Florence Ellen Curnutte, a sister to Nancy in Lawrence County in 1882. I know that people have listed him as John J Moore but I believe that it is incorrect. I haven't seen any sources for the information, but I do know that John was listed with the C middle initial on the 1880 census and with a L in the 1870 census. My guess is the C inital is the correct one. There is also a brother to Kavanaugh. His name was Thomas his birthday was January 8, 1860, that information can be found in the Lawrence County Archives on the Usgenweb site. Another place that I found interesting is the Floyd Co Archives found at the Usgenweb site. It has a census for 1830 which has Richard Thompson and othe
Irish families.
I believe the Berrys, Mckinsters, Thompsons and Moores were some of the Irish that were close nieghbors in that 1830 census. I wonder if they didn't migrate from Ireland together.

George May (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2002 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: Moore, Alley, Barney,May.
Thanks for answering my query. I do have some information on Hubbard Kavanaugh and his siblings. He had seven brothers and sisters. John C. 1862,Thomas L.1860,James1878, Phoebe1873,Luverna1875,Adda1869, Elzira1865
John C. was married to two different women; Scioto Carter and Florence Ellen Curnutte. He had 10 children by Scioto and one child by Florence.
Thomas L. was married to Emma O. Hawes. They had two children.
Phoebe was married to Wesley Miller and Luverna was married to Frank Bates.
Hubbard Kavanaugh's wife's full name was Nancy Victoria, I guess that explains the nickname of Vicie
Was Robert and Margaret Barr Thompson the parents of Nancy Thompson?
Thanks for your help.
George May

Posted: 14 May 2002 10:23PM GMT
George, I am pretty sure that there are two Johns, the one who married Scioto Carter would be a John B. Moore, I have found a census entry in the 1880 census for Lawrence County for a John B. Moore and Catherine Thompson, who had a son named John B. who was 18 in the year 1880 also the 1910 census for Lawrence County has a John B. with wife Scioto and children. The John who married Florence Curnutte is listed as John C in the 1880 census for Lawrence County and the son of James Hiram and Mahala Carter. I think I have found a record for this John in the 1910 census for Greenup County Kentucky. I have seen that he had a daughter named Sallie and a son named Milton. This John that I have located has a Milton and a Sallie that are the right ages. I know that this Milton was shot in Louisa Kentucky in the mid 1920's.I believe he died in 1978 in Ashland Kentucky.

Posted: 15 May 2002 4:33AM GMT
Sorry I put Robert Thompson. It should be Richard Thompson

Posted: 15 May 2002 8:15PM GMT
George, I also have found this information on some of the siblings of Hubbard Kavanaugh Moore that you might not have

Elzira Moore was married to William Wilburn Chaffin b. Jan. 8, 1859 ( William was the son of James Milton Chaffin and Mary Sanders) they had children, James b 1881, Levi b 1883, Marion b. 1885,John b 1887, Mary b. 1888, Norah b 1890, Mahala 1892 Henry b 1895, and William Wilburn Jr b. 1898.

I found this 1910 census record
Thomas L Moore age 51 W Ky Lawrence, wife Emma O age 47 Ky, Son Niley C age 20 Ky, and daughter-in-law Joe C 19 Ky.

Also this 1910 census record for the youngest child of James Hiram and Mahala Carter
James M Moore age 31 Ky Lawrence, wife Belle age 31 Ky,
son Elnmer age 08 Ky, Father James H 73 Ky.
This James H. must have been James Hiram Moore. Mahala must have died and James was living with his son James in 1910.
Also I think I have found the death record for Belle. Belle died
at age 45, 6/08/1925.

This is the John C. Moore who I think is the John who was married to Florence Ellen Curnutte, a sister to Nancy Victoria Curnutte (both daughters of John Curnutte and Sarah Berry)
This is a 1910 census record for Greenup County. I know that this John had connections to Louisa Ky, thats why I think he is the son of James Hiram and Mahala Carter
John C Moore age 49 W Ky, Greenup, Wife Eliza age 27 Ky, Daugther Sallie age 17 Ky, Son Cecil age 14 Ky, Son Milton age 12 Ky, daughter Mahala age 10 Ky, daughter Jennette O8 Ky, son Terry age 02 Ky, daughter Monnie age 01 Ky.
By this census, and the ages of the children, it looks like Florence probably died sometime between 1902-1908, and that John C Moore remarried to Elizabeth ? between those years of 1902 and 1908. If this is the right John C Moore.

George May (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2002 9:40PM GMT
I sent a new message instead of a reply to your message, so I will repeat my message. I have been experiencing computer problems and haven't been able to access my files for a few days. I hope that the problems are behind me now and I should be able to answer your messages soon. Thanks for your response.
George
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions