Search for content in message boards

"The Ancestry of Chamberlin and Grant"

"The Ancestry of Chamberlin and Grant"

Posted: 7 Jun 2008 1:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to offer look-ups for researchers of the Chamberlin and Grant surnames. I have a three volume set called “The Ancestry of Chamberlin and Grant” by June G. Henderson. These books span centuries from the 900’s to the Mayflower immigrants and Revolutionary war soldiers. These books are an amazing resource! They contain information on royalty from a variety of countries from Hungry to England. Please feel free to contact me at swolfy@charter.net if I can utilize these invaluable resources for you!

Re: "The Ancestry of Chamberlin and Grant"

Posted: 26 Feb 2011 8:26PM GMT
Hoping your look up offer from 2008 is still available. I would like to know what the book says about CHRISTOPHER PHILIPS or PHILLIPS who was born about 1560 in Norfolk, England. He was the father of Rev. George Phillips (1593-1644) who came to MA in 1630. I am hoping that your book might have clues to the identification of Christopher's wife and/or other children. I am trying to get this line back further and resources are very scarce. Thanks, Pam

Posted: 20 Apr 2012 7:37AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Battells; de Enfield; Ondeby; Oudeby Leventhorpe
HI,
Are you still able to do lookups in The 3 vols of "The ancestry of Chamberlin and Grant" by June G Henderson?
If you are, would you mind advising me what she says for a marriage of a Thomas BATTELL anda Elizabeth de Enfield, any issue and who are the parents of this couple.
If she shows any birth death or marriage dates they would also be helpful.
My problem is that I have 3 Thomas Battells marrying 3 Elizabeth de Enfields but there is 200+ years between them and records, including Visitaions seem to have got them all mixed up with each other.
Also does hse sho that Thomas was married to perhaps other wives such as Eleanor de Oundeby (Ondeby) or Isabel Leventhorpe.
Thanks in anticipation
Jim

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 12:24PM GMT
Surnames: BREAUX, NORTON, ZEIGLER, PETERS, ROUSSEAU DE VILLEJOUIN
Pam,
Apologies for how long it has taken me to notice your request. I looked up George and Christopher PHILLIPS and found both of them alive and well in Volume Three. :)
Christopher was born in 1560, with no date of death shown. He was a vestryman of St. Margaret’s in South Raynham, county Norfolk, England. He married SUSAN BUTTERFIELD. There is no date of marriage reflected either, but I would think that record for St. Margaret’s would be the first place to look.
Obviously you know that Rev. George PHILLIPS was their son. He is the only child listed for Christopher and Susan (which seems unlikely to me but maybe…).
Rev. George PHILLIPS was apparently a rather interesting and revolutionary fellow. There are a few paragraphs that talk about his life. I would be happy to scan these and share them with you if I hear back from you. Feel free to email me at swolfy71@gmail.com. Here’s what I have on him:
Rev. George PHILLIPS
b. 1593 at St. Marytn’s, South Raynham, Norfolk, England
d. 1 July 1644 in Watertown, Mass.

m. (1) 1624, Elizabeth SARGENT, dau. Of Richard Sargent.
Ch. (3) Hannah b. about 1618 in Boxted, Essex, England (m. (1) Joseph MORSE, 1 Sept 1638, and (2) Thomas BOYDEN 3 Nov 1658). D. 3 Oct 1676
NOTE: “There is some doubt that Hannah was a daughter of Rev. George Phillips. Some genealogists believe she was his sister.
Samuel, m. Sarah Appleton
Elizabeth, m. Job Bishop
m. (2) 1631, Elizabeth, probably the widow of Capt. Richard Welden
Ch. (7) Zerubbabel, m. Ann White
Jonathan, m. Sarah Holland
Theophilus, m. (1) Bethia
(2) Mary Bennet
Annabel, died in infancy
Ephraim, died young
Obadiah, died young
Abigail, m. James Barnard
George and Elizabeth set sail for the New World on 12 Apr 1630, and arrived in Salem, Mass. 12 June 1630.

I hope this helps your search. Happy hunting!
Shawna

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 12:43PM GMT
Surnames: BREAUX, NORTON, ZEIGLER, PETERS, ROUSSEAU DE VILLEJOUIN
Jim,
First off, I am sorry to say that I did not find an Eleanor de Oundeby(Ondeby)in any of the books. I did find a Leventhorpe, but it was not Isabel. Her name was Alice and she is said to be the mother of Brian FARRER. I can provide you with additional information on these folks if you need it.
Here's what I found on the BATTEL line:

Sir Thomas BATTEL (living ca 1200),
m. Elizabeth de ENFIELD, dau. of Sir Richard de Enfield
Ch. Katherine
Katherine BATTEL
m. John JOCELYN, son of Ralph Jocelyn
Ch. Thomas, m. Maud Hide

Sir Thomas BATTEL (living ca 1200),
m. Elizabeth de ENFIELD, dau. of Sir Richard de Enfield
Ch. Katherine
Katherine BATTEL
m. John JOCELYN, son of Ralph Jocelyn
Ch. Thomas, m. Maud Hide

Unfortunately, that is all the information the books provide, not even approximate dates for births, deaths or marriages. Although it does say this about the surname: “The name of Battel, or Battele, was recorded as a family name as early as the 12th century. It was probably of Norman origin.” They must have been of an upper class if the name is recorded that early, which would further your chance of finding more about them.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck!
Shawna

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 8:41PM GMT
Thanks very much for the reply.
What you have sent confirms what other sources say.
The name is recorded back to 1086 land grant in Essex.
Supposedly came across from France with William the conqueror.
regards
Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions