Search for content in message boards

Ancestry DNA test - 97% British Isles!?

Ancestry DNA test - 97% British Isles!?

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2012 11:08PM GMT
My test results show 97% British Isles and 3% unknown. There's no Scandinavian component as some have mentioned--it's just 97% British Isles.

I'm really surprised that there's not more diversity.

Is this high of a percentage frequent?

Attachments:

Re: Ancestry DNA test - 97% British Isles!?

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 12:57PM GMT
I am not an expert, but have tested at 23andMe and FamilyTreeDNA, and am awaiting my Ancestry results... Several people have, both here (these forums) and FTDNA (forums), to take that with a grain of salt. The fact appears to be there aren't many reference populations used, and that the differences between various Euro pops, for example, aren't extremely great.

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 5:02PM GMT
Sorry--take what with a grain of salt? The ancestry.com DNA results?

Do you recommend getting tested with other groups as well?

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 5:17PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 5:18PM GMT
No, I meant the percentage of ethnic groups, just from my experience at FamilyTreeDNA and 23andMe, th brekdown for me, while more detailed than yours, is still imprecise.

EDIT- My personal view, is to get more info (matches etc), the more places I've tested, the better.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 11:30PM GMT
I tested 100% British Isles. I cannot imagine there cannot be some blending in my family. I grew up with a French name in a Family whothought they were French Canadian immigrants from Canada.

What a scam!

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:35AM GMT
I tested 90% British Isles/10% Persian/Turkish/Caucasus. My family has 100% German surnames from German-speaking countries. I was upset enough when I got my results to take a test from another company, briefly wondering if I was adopted. I got some comfort from my second test which showed a more diverse Northern European background. Take note of the fact that Ancestry DNA is still considered in "Beta" and I'm hoping/expecting that the percentages will be adjusted at some future date.

When you have access to the raw data (another "promise" from Ancestry), it may be enlightening for you to run the admixture tools available for free online. You may find that your results are more in keeping with your known ancestry. I have read that many Ancestry customers are dissatisfied with results in the British, Scandinavian, and German areas - not sure about others.

I'm curious if you've found any actual matches with your Ancestry results. That's my other concern. So far I have over 1500 "matches" here with zero results. I have had better, still minimal, results elsewhere. Still hopeful for the future. So many people are testing it should help not only your matches but the ethnic percentages too.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:46AM GMT
Late in November, I was tested with FamilyTreeDNA. I just got the results back today. FTDNA says that I am 92.46% Western European (which it narrows in my case to French, Orcadian, and Spanish) and 7.54% European (which it says for me is Tuscan, Romanian and Sardinian).

On Ancestry, I've never found any match closer than 4th cousin and the matches I've talked to have been unable to figure out with me how we are connected with the exception of one match, but the connection was so far back, it didn't really matter to me.

I just got my matches today with FTDNA and there are a number of 3rd cousin matches. It will be interesting to try to follow up with some of these matches.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 4:02AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2013 4:04AM GMT
I am also 100% British Isles and have some concerns, especially as that seems to mean heavily Celtic. I have broadened my understanding of Celtic and I do see more than I might have first thought. However, my ancestors were -not- all Celtic. I should have a small amount of French and Prussian but even if that fell into a broader understanding of early Celtic it is still extremely unlikely that my ancestors were that isolated from the entire Scandinavian group.

It has been said that people can have matches whose ancestry does not share the same ethnicity.

A separate question is can we have ancestors that are from ethnic groups not indicated? If not then I find this very difficult to work with and unlikely. No one is that isolated as to end up as 100%.

If it is that the ethnicity did not show up in my particular mix (not everything gets passed down) than that would make more sense. Or is it possible that there will simply be some refining as ancestry progresses? Or that things may change after the test is given to those outside of the U.S?

It is actually encouraging to me that others have run into similar concerns. It is also encouraging that ancestry has already indicated that there may be some changes in the ethnicity as more people test.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:25PM GMT
I am glad to see another "isolated" Brit. LOL. I am hoping for a further breakdown as more is added to the testing.

So far no one ancestry matches me with has any relationship to me whatsoever. Some have not done any research on their tree yet.

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 3:32PM GMT
I have found no matches from my ancestry results. I'm hoping for more matches as more data is obtained.

I am not down on ancestry.com. I have "met" several relatives through the message boards and researching my tree. They have been more than helpful in my research and I enjoy corresponding with them.

I was expecting more from the DNA component than ancestry results has given me. Patience is not my strong suit but that is what is called for here, I guess.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic