Search for content in message boards

Shaws of Paisley Scotland

Shaws of Paisley Scotland

Posted: 16 May 2003 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2004 11:33AM GMT
Looking for descendants of James Shaw born c1770 who married Florence Barbara/Barbar/Barbour c1790 . James was a mariner and his son James , a Cabinetmaker ,who married Rose Marshall of Greenock c1825 .

Re: Shaws of Paisley Scotland

Posted: 17 May 2003 2:21PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 5:09PM GMT
my james was in riccarton/kilmarnock area in late 1700. have "brick wall" at this point.married to mcgee.

Posted: 17 May 2003 10:34PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2004 11:33AM GMT
Hello James .My James Shaw , a mariner , married Florence Barbara and had a son James , a cabinet maker , born 1795 who married Rose Marshall born 1798 Greenock Middle , in 1825 .Their children were Jane --Barbara were deceased 1875 but Charlotte and John were living ( scotland ? ) but James and Mary came to Australia The original James had a brother John who married Elizabeth Barbour 1785, who remained in Scotland and had the following children James 1785--John 1799--jean 1793-- Agnes 1795 and William 1801 . Hope this helps Laurie

Posted: 18 May 2003 2:28PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2006 11:05PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Hartman(n), Luckow
I am looking for ancestors to James Shaw bd: 28 Jan 1841 in Paisley, Scotland and married to Eunice, the children I have names for are George Peter Shaw bd: 22 Jan 1865 , Canada and Benjamin D. bd: 1867. I have information on George Peters` family to present day, but am stumped going back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chloie

Posted: 15 Oct 2003 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2006 10:05PM GMT
I have a Robert J Shaw born in Kilmarnik Scotland Sept 1800, his parents were Robert and Catherine. Any chance there is a connection?

John Shaw

Patricia (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2004 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw/ McLaren/McClearn/ Battles
John, I have been attempting to locate an Archibald Shaw would would have been born in or near Paisley about 1852 -1855. His mother was a Shaw and father's name was McLaren. He took his mother's name of Shaw and came to the US in the late 1800's locating in PA. Any chance there may be a connection? Please feel free to contact directly via email. Thanks

Posted: 5 Sep 2005 8:03AM GMT
I've traced back to a William Shaw a Seaman in Greenock who married a Mary McGee on 10th June 1816 but here I'm stumped as I don't know his DoB and haven't had access to look at the 1841 census.
They had a Martha (b.1816), James(b.1819), William(b.1821 d.1901) and Joseph(b.1824).
William, the son, a Ship Carpenter married Catherine Sinclair in Greenock in 1844.

I wonder if my William Shaw the Seaman could be your William born 1801? Son of John and Elizabeth.

Posted: 13 Feb 2011 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Marshall Wood
I've only just stumbled across this post, and realise that it may well be totally out-of-date by now - however, I had been searching for info on either of two James Marshalls (father and son, I think) both mariners in Greenock, and I think that the Rose Marshall who married the younger James Shaw is likely to be the daughter of James Marshall(senior) and Janet Wood. She was baptized Rosina Marshal, in Greenock New or Middle parish, 30 January 1798.
Interesting that the elder James Shaw was also a mariner. Does anyone know of any records of seamen/mariners in this area at this period?

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 9:27PM GMT
My great-grandfather was Archibald Shaw of Paisley. He was a slater and founded a business there. It still exists, except now they call themselves roofers. It is still there on Canal St.in downtown Paisley. You can find it (with full
address) on the Internet. The business name is: A. Shaw, Roofers,and in each successive generation the eldest son got a name beginning with A. to perpetuate that name. My grandmother, Katherine Shaw, nee Ross, migrated to Findlay, Ohio. Her son Joseph Tooley of North Findlay is still alive and undoubtedly knows more than I do. Right Archie Shaw?? Your guess! Good luck. G.F.

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 12:51AM GMT
thanks for your reply. I don't think this is the Shaw family I was looking for, but I appreciate your answering my post.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions