Edited: 25 Feb 2005 5:24AM GMT
I am looking for anyone who has the surname Fjerdingstad

Re: Fjerdingstad Family

Bette Walker (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2002 7:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fjerdingstad, Foss and Rustand
Hello!
I have Fjerdingstad in my family tree. My maternal grandmother's maiden name is Fjerdingstad. Her father was Lauritz (born 5 Mar 1847) and his father was Lars Larsen Rustand (born 10 Oct 1810). In case you don't know the men in Norway took the name of the farm they lived on as their last name. In that family alone we have Rustand, Foss and Fjerdingstad. Do any or those names sound familiar? Please let me know. Thanks!

Posted: 23 Feb 2002 9:12PM GMT
Edited: 25 Feb 2005 5:24AM GMT
yes, Lauritz does sound familiar, but I'm not home to pull everything out to check. I wll and will get back to you. I know that the name did come from a family farm, but I also know that the family was French and apparently wanted to change their name anyway.

Posted: 25 Feb 2005 5:28AM GMT
My maternal grandmother's last name was Fjerdingstad (Her full name was Elvira Berthe Ella...but she always went by Ella). She was born in Denmark in 1885/died in Sylvania Ohio in 1964.

I have been told that the family adopted the name while living on the farm in Norway a generation or two before my grandmother was born. They had fled France for Norway and then changed their name.

One of my grandmother's cousins was a silver smith in France named Christian Fjerdingstad. I have traced other Fjerdingstad's who also claim to be related to Christian, but in most cases there are flaws in actually fitting the connection.

My Grandmother's father was named Jules A Fjerdingstad. He died in Denmark during WWII.

Posted: 12 Aug 2012 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 12 Aug 2012 9:25PM GMT
Surnames: Fjerdingstad, Petersen
My great grandmother was Olga Marie Fjerdingstad, born in Copenhagen about 1869, daughter of Julius Fjerdingstad and Marie Bolette Jacobsen. My grandfather was Holger Christopher Petersen and he came to the US as a teenager.

He didn't know much about the Fjerdingstad family other than they were small in stature and called the "Small Grandparents" (and the Petersens were called "Big Grandparents") and that his grandfather Fjerdingstad had volunteered for and distiguished himself in both wars, in 1800's. He was given a medal by King Christian IX.

Holger wrote a family memoir that said his grandfather had been sent from Norway to Copenhagen to study art. I think he might have meant his great grandfather since the records I have seen online show that Julius was born in Denmark, not Norway.

Also, my mother had a polaroid picture that was of my grandfather's cousin who was a famous silversmith. That's all she ever said about it though, no name given.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 2:20AM GMT
Perhaps your Julius with his parents in the 1845 census

All persons in the household

København, København (Staden), Øster Kvarter, København Øster Kvarter, , Integade No. 19, 2. sal, , FT-1845
Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household: Occupation: Birth place:
Ole Christoffer Fjerdingstad 54 Gift Opsynsmand paa Mynten Kongsborg i Norge
Marie Johansen 47 Gift Hans Kone Nykøbing paa Falster
Julius Fjerdingstad 17 Ugift Deres Søn. i malerlære hos Jacobsen København
Jens Fjerdingstad 13 Ugift Deres Søn København

and the family in th 1860 census

København, Sokkelund, Gladsakse, Gladsaxe Skoledistrikt, Bagsværd, , Et Hus, 136 - F2, FT-1860
Julius Christopher Fjerdingstad 32 Gift Maler København
Marie Bolette Jacobsen 28 Gift Hans Hustru København
Anne Vilhelmine Michaeline Fjerdingstad 5 Ugift Deres Barn København
Julie Alvilde Fjerdingstad 4 Ugift Deres Barn Gladsaxe Sogn, Københavns Amt
Aurelia Hermandine Fjerdingstad 2 Ugift Deres Barn Gladsaxe Sogn, Københavns Amt

and Marie Bolette with parents in the 1840 census

København, Sokkelund, Gladsakse, Gladsaxe Skoledistrikt, Bagsværd, , Et Hus, 136 - F2, FT-1860
Julius Christopher Fjerdingstad 32 Gift Maler København
Marie Bolette Jacobsen 28 Gift Hans Hustru København
Anne Vilhelmine Michaeline Fjerdingstad 5 Ugift Deres Barn København
Julie Alvilde Fjerdingstad 4 Ugift Deres Barn Gladsaxe Sogn, Københavns Amt
Aurelia Hermandine Fjerdingstad 2 Ugift Deres Barn Gladsaxe Sogn, Københavns Amt

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 2:49AM GMT
Here is Julius and his wife in the records kept on all residents of Copenhagen http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sf...

Julius' death can be found in Skt Johannes, Sokkelund, København opslag 137 nr 149.

And here is Marie Bolette with her date of death http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sf...

Sincerely,
Paul

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 4:31AM GMT
Paul, this is wonderful! It's been awhile since I made this request so I don't remember what process I followed.

1) could I have the census information for Marie Bolette and her parents?

2) I'm looking for information regarding Jules Antoine Fjerdingstad and his wife. He's the son of Marie and Julius Christopher and he must have been born after the 1860 census. He's my Grandmother's father and she (Elvira Berthe Ella Fjerdingstad) was born in 1885. I know she had an older sister Agnethe and a younger brother Julius and I think there were two younger children Carla and ?? who were sent to live with relatives when their mother died in 1893. There is a family mystery about her death and I would really like to see a death certificate. My mother is 87 and she has wondered about this all her life.

Please let me know what I need to do? Thank you so much!!

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 9:52AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2012 10:11AM GMT
Hi

The family in 1880:

Samtlige personer i husstanden

København, København (Staden), Fredensgade, Udenbys Klædebo Kvarter, Blegdams Rode, 811, 1,

FT-1880, D3036

Julius Christoffer Fjerdingstad 51 Gift Husfader Maler København
Marie Bolette, f. Jacobsen 47 Gift Husmoder København
Jules Antony Thorrald Fjerdingstad 18 Ugift Søn København
Aurelia Hermandine Fjerdingstad 14 Ugift Datter København
Olga Marie Fjerdingstad 11 Ugift Datter København
Oluf Louis Christian Fjerdingstad 9 Ugift Søn København
Bianca Eleonore Louise Fjerdingstad 5 Ugift Datter København
---

Samtlige personer i husstanden

København, København (Staden), Guldbergsgade (Lige numre), Kjøbenhavn Udenbys Klædebo Kvarter, Guldbergsgade 18-20,matr.1367 Forhus Nr.20 Kvist, 12, FT-1885, D3809
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv: Fødested:
Julius Ahton Thorvald Fjerdingsted 23 Gift Husfader Malersvend Kjøbenhavn
Alfreddine Mathilde Fjerdingsted 21 Gift Husmoder Kjøbenhavn
Agnete Julie Mathilde Fjerdingsted 1 Ugift Barn Kjøbenhavn
--

http://www.politietsregisterblade.dk/index.php?option=com_sf...
--
Flemming Aasklint

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 4:08PM GMT
Again, thank you so much!

Is there a death certificate for

Alfreddine Mathilde Fjerdingsted

around 1893?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions