Search for content in message boards

ALEXANDER DUNCAN, PA, 1750, son JOHN PA, g-son JAMES d OH

ALEXANDER DUNCAN, PA, 1750, son JOHN PA, g-son JAMES d OH

Pat (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2004 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duncan, Morrison, McKown. Orr
Have run into road block seeking information about ALEXANDER DUNCAN, wife Susanna, and family. From N Ireland. In PA in 1750, Little Britain Twp. Lancaster Co. Moved to Washington Co, PA near Florence about 1780. Died there about 1795. Son JOHN married first to Elizabeth Moreland. Second marriage to NANCY MORRISON produced my gg JAMES DUNCAN. James m. MARY McKOWN a widow born Mary ORR. They lived in Frankfort Springs, Beaver CO, PA until about 1845. Moved to Fredericktown, OH. Their daughter MARY ORR DUNCAN was my g mother. Her brother JAMES a school superintendent there and in eastern OH. Any information gratefully received.

Re: ALEXANDER DUNCAN, PA, 1750, son JOHN PA, g-son JAMES d OH

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 3:32PM GMT
Was wondering if your James Duncan & wife Mary (Orr) McKown could have had a son John b. Pa. d. 1835 Gibson Co.,In. who supposedly married a Hudelson who died in Pa.? This John came from Beaver Co.,Pa. & had a son Josiah Duncan b. 11/4/1816 in Beaver Co.,Pa.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks for any help.
Don Matson in Indiana

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 10:16PM GMT
Hi Don, Thanks for your message. My John Duncan was born about 1760 in Lancaster, PA. His family and most of his descendants lived in the area of Washington County. Since Beaver, Co., is just north of there, it is possible that your family descended from one of his sons or grandsons. There is a lot of information on this family in local histories. I'll check my records to see if there is a John born at the time you mention.

Good searching! It is fun, isn't it.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 5:59PM GMT
My G G G Grandmother's Father was James Duncan from Bart, Lancaster, PA. He was on the census there in 1850. He was also born in Ireland. Had my ancestor with a woman named Nancy Groff whom I can not locate

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:21PM GMT
Alexander, my 4G grandfather, left Lancaster county area in Pennsylvania for western Penn. in the late 1700s. He was a Protestant from Northern Ireland who emigrated in about 1750, as far as I can determine. . The only other Duncan records I found for the years in the mid-1700s in the Lancaster area were for Duncans who were Catholic. Is this information of any use?

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:21PM GMT
Alexander, my 4G grandfather, left Lancaster county area in Pennsylvania for western Penn. in the late 1700s. He was a Protestant from Northern Ireland who emigrated in about 1750, as far as I can determine. . The only other Duncan records I found for the years in the mid-1700s in the Lancaster area were for Duncans who were Catholic. Is this information of any use?

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:42PM GMT
Maybe.....trying to determine where James Duncan b. around 1808 was born and died.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:03PM GMT
My great grandfather, James Duncan, was born in 1806 , in Washington County, in eastern Penn. He was a son of John Duncan's second wife. He died in Fredericktown, Knox County, Ohio in 1892. Is this possibly your James Duncan, too ??

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 9:43PM GMT
It's possible. My James Duncan had a child with a Nancy Groff in Lancaster, PA in 1827. they named her Julia Ann Margaret Duncan. She died Julia Ann Williams in 1908 in Lancaster, PA.
No record of Nancy Groff with James Duncan - I'm assuming Julia was illegitimate ??
James Duncan had something to do with Duncan's Island, in Perry County, PA 1827-1840 because Julia was there as a "church charge" during those yrs.probably orphaned.

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan
I am researching the George Duncan family in Washington PA. He founded a glass company 'Duncan and Miller" Glass Company. I have found a will for your Alexander Duncan. He died in 1795. I would be pleased to email a copy. It is hard to read but I can make out family members that fit your Alexander and John etc.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic