Search for content in message boards

Anne Brumfield b.1715 VA mar. Johnston/Tankersley/Alday

Anne Brumfield b.1715 VA mar. Johnston/Tankersley/Alday

Jack Sallee (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2003 4:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnston Johnson Tankersley Alday Sallee
Does anyone have certain information on her parents. I have seen her listed as a daughter of Moses Brumfield b. abt. 1690, but with a guessed birth date for her of about 1740.
Her first husband was William Johnston (sometimes given as Johnson) b.1710-1720. From this marriage there are 3 known children: James, Mary, and Sarah. Sarah was married before 11-8-1774 to Oliver Salle' (the date William Johnston wrote his will and referred to Oliver as his son-in-law) and census records indicate Sarah's birth as 1749-1755 (making the birth of Anne as late as 1740 unlikely). Oliver Salle' was born Nov. 5, 1749. Anne was administratrix of William Johnston's estate who died by 1783. On July 7, 1783, the widow Anne Brumfield Johnston married John Tankersley (b.1710-1720) in Charlotte Co., VA. Mr. Tankersley died less than 2 years later, because on March 7, 1785, Oliver Sallee and Samuel Johnston returned an inventory of John Tankersley's estate. (Samuel is possibly another son by Anne's first marriage.) In March, 1787, (Charlotte Co. deed book #5, p.172), Oliver Sallee, Sarah his wife, and Anne Brumfield Tankersley (the name as given in the deed) of Charlotte Co., parish of Cornwall, sell 20 acres to Samuel and Abraham Venable of Prince Edward Co. The birth date of 1715 for Anne comes from a newpaper report of her last marriage (I have not seen it, but have been told about it by a Tankersley descendant.) The newspaper report says that on August 24, 1805, Ann Johnston Tankersley married a man named Perrin Alday and the newspaper account gives her age as 90 and Perrin Alday claimed to be 105. They may both be stretching their ages, but it shouldn't be by too many years. According to someone from the Allday family, the story is that Ann and her husband Tankersley owned a hotel and Perrin Allday had owned one in competition with them.
Because of some parallel movement in location, there may also be some connection with Robert Brumfield b.c.1724 (son of James Brumfield b.1685) who was in Amelia Co. in 1744, Charlotte Co.in 1770, went to Kentucky about 1780 and died Oct. 1794 near Harrodsburg, Mercer Co., KY. Obviously, Anne is closely connected with Charlotte Co. during the 1750-1805 period, but her daughter Sarah and husband Oliver Sallee went to Harrodsburg, Mercer Co., KY, about 1795. Robert's brother William (b.c.1718) also died Charlotte Co., VA in 1799.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Re: Anne Brumfield b.1715 VA mar. Johnston/Tankersley/Alday

allen flewelling (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2003 1:55AM GMT
Anne is probably a dau of James Brumfield b. c. 1685 and Elizabeth [last name possibly Francis or Watson] b. c. 1696.
Based on dates of births of her probable brothers, she would appear to be born between 1725 and 1740. Moses Broomfield has only been found to be associated with Goochland Co, Va; whereas James is found in Amelia and Lunenburg Cos and his sons later in Charlotte and Halifax Cos.
Of his sons; William died in Charlotte Co; James was in Halifax Co after it was cut off from Lunenburg Co, then went to Pittsylvania Co and finally to Montgomery Co, Va. Robert after living in Charlotte Co, Va moved to Mercer [Lincoln] Co, Ky. Major lived in Halifax and Pittsyvania Cos, Va. Another son may have been John Brumfield who was in Halifax Co in 1782 and granted land in Lincoln Co, Ky in 1783

Posted: 6 Jul 2009 10:38PM GMT
Hi Jack....It's been awhile since you posted this message, but HOPE you will get this..... I am descended from James Johnston and Elizabeth Joyce....James was the son of William Johnston and Anne Brumfield..... Do you have a copy of William Johnston's Will that you would be willing to share with me for my records????? I have NOT been able to "luck into" it ANYWHERE on the internet and thought you might be able to email me a copy of same. Any help will be greatly appreciated..... I, too, have been trying to gather information on Ann Brumfield.... Most postings I have found state her birth date as 12 JUN 1687..AND several state that she also died 12 JUN 1687..... Was SO glad to find your post!!!!!Anne was the daughter of James Brumfield (1652) and Patience "Peshee" Sutton (1654). Both were born in England. Anne was born in Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co. VA. Be glad to share what little info I have with you...
Please email me at sherrys_zoo@yahoo.com
Thanks and God Bless,
Sherry

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 2:51AM GMT
Sherry

What makes you think that Anne was the daughter of James and Peshee? In all the research I have seen there has been nothing shown for any of their children except James.

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Brumfield
The Anne Brumfield, b, 1715, would not have been a child of Jake (James) and Peshee Sutton Brumfield--too late. HOWEVER, in the Library of Virginia (Richmond, Virginia) is a compilation done by Robert W. Robins titled "The Register of Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1677-1780", copyrighted 1981 and published by the Honford House in Arlington, VA. The book is a compilation of 3 separate indexes--2 of which are housed at the Swem Library of the College of William and Mary. Page 21 of the compilation lists 6 "Bromfield" children, all children of "James and Pessie Bromfield". Some of the listings are birth dates, some are baptismal dates:

"Bromfield, Ann, daughter of James and Pessie Bromfield, was baptized June 12, 1687.
"Bromfield, Isabel, daughter of James and Pessie Bromfield, was born December 20, 1682.
"Bromfield, James, son of James and Pessie Bromfield, was baptized March 29, 1685.
"Bromfield, Martha, daughter of James and Pessie Bromfield, was born September 27, 1680.
"Bromfield, Robert, son of James and Pessie Bromfield, was born January [--], 1677/78.
"Bromfield, William, son of James and Pessie Bromfield, was baptized July 21, 1689."

There are no death listings in this compilation--and presumably in none of the indexes from which this was written, for either Bromfield, Broomfield, or Brumfield.

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 12:58AM GMT
Will have to check my file again..... Anne's father was James Brumfield.....Could have very well "misconstrued" the info.....Give me a couple of days to "dig" that file out again and will get back to you....
Sherry

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 1:09AM GMT
Should have read THIS message first....The info I sent was a posting I found on thee internet...Not always accurate...and I have not done in "in depth" research regarding Anne....Have been concentrating on William Johnston.....and several other family lines....Really appreciate this information...Will save me a lot of time and trouble..... Thought the "dates seemed wrong", but as I said, have been trying to find William's Will to verify his son "James" and his wife's correct name, etc. for my records.... Can you help me out with that????? Sure would appreciate it.....
Thanks,
Sherry

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 12:52AM GMT
Surnames: Joyce, Brumfield, Carder
Hi Sherry,

What can you tell me about Elizabeth Joyce?

Sherry

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 10:36PM GMT
Cherie and Jack..... I have been on the computer almost all day and FINALLY ran across some records regarding the parentage of Anne Brumfield that SOLVE THIS PUZZLE.........
JAMES BRUMFIELD I AND PESHEE SUTTON had a som JAMES II born
19 Mar 1684-1685 in Abington Parish, Gloucester, VA. He married ELIZABETH FRANCIS WATSON b: l696 in VA. They were married 1716, in VA. They had a daughter ANN BRUMFIELD, b: 1740, who married a "WILLIE JOHNSON" ( am sure this is my WILLIAM JOHNSTON!) They had three children ...MARY, JAMES, and SARAH. Children of JAMES II and Elizabeth are:
Moses Brumfield b: 1716
John Watson Brumfield b: 1717
William Brumfield b:1718
James Brumfield III b: 1722
Robert Brumfield b: 1724
Major Brumfield b: 1730
Martha Brumfiend b: 1733
ANN BRUMFIELD b: 1740
This information and dates shown are all from Ancestry Members postings. I put what I found "all together" and this is as CLOSE as I can get to accuracy...but at least it "makes sense" .....Let me know what you think.......
Sherry

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 10:41PM GMT
Jack, please see the posting I made today to you and Cherie, regarding the parentage of Anne Brumfield.....
Took all day, but "think" I have our puzzle solved....
Take a look and see what you think.......
Sherry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions