Search for content in message boards

Was Elizabeth, wife of John Bates d 1666 York Co., VA, a Winston?

Was Elizabeth, wife of John Bates d 1666 York Co., VA, a Winston?

Posted: 23 May 2008 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bates, Winston
I'm looking for any evidence that John's wife was a Winston. I'm not yet convinced that she was because my wife's ancestor, William Winston, is said by Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis (author of the respected "Tidewater Virginia Families") to be the only Winston found in the early days of the Virginia colony. This William Winston witnessed the codicil and proved the 21 Sep 1666 York Co., VA will of John Bates. William Winston had been imported to York Co., VA by Henry Tiler/Tyler. No Winston is listed at the Jamestown settlement in 1606-1624.

I will appreciate any document citation(s) that indicate Elizabeth was a Winston.........Kent

Re: Was Elizabeth, wife of John Bates d 1666 York Co., VA, a Winston?

Posted: 25 May 2008 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bates, Winston, Woodson
I now believe that it is unlikely that Elizabeth, the wife of John Bates (1598-1666) was a Winston, although my wife’s ancestor, William Winston (and two others), witnessed the codicil to his 12 Sep 1666 York Co., VA will and proved the codicil & will at Court on 24 Jan 1666/67. Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis’ widely referenced and respected 1990 book “Tidewater Virginia Families” states: “William Winston has been the only Winston found in the early days of the colony” and was listed as a headright of Henry Tyler in the York Co. records. Since he was the only Winston headright, a family member didn’t accompany him. [William was probably at least age 21 in 1666 and had wife Sarah by 1691 and so was born BEF 1645.] Below is a summary of additional evidence that supports my current belief.

Wayne Witt Bates, Corresponding Secretary of The Bates Family of Old Virginia (bfoov.org) association (founded 1971), wrote me about the association’s “Bates Booster” newsletter No. 128 (1993) that has a book review of Davis’ “Tidewater Virginia Families”. The review notes that the immigrant John Bates of York Co., VA and some of his descendants are covered within chapters devoted to allied families, including Winston and Woodson. Davis refers to the works of Worth S. Ray and E. E. Lamphere when she notes that some say that the immigrant John Bates married Elizabeth Winston but states: “however the only reason for this conclusion appears to have been the fact that William Winston witnessed the will of John Bates (1598-1666).” Wayne further found that “Bates Booster” newsletter No. 114 (1990) addresses the issue of John Bates’ wife by referring to Worth S. Ray’s 1945 book, “Colonial Granville County and its People”. Ray states: “The name of the wife of John Bates will never be known, perhaps, but reasoning the matter from all angles it is not improbable that Sarah Winston (whom it is claimed was the wife of Dr. John Woodson) may have had a sister who married John Bates and that they were sisters of William Winston, who witnessed the will of John Bates in 1666.” Past editions of the “Bates Booster” newsletters are available, and may be obtained for a fee of $5.00 per copy payable to Bates Family of Old VA and mailed to Wayne Witt Bates, 5817 Stone Ridge Dr., Centreville, VA 20120.

My correspondent and Winston researcher, Rodney Veitschegger, posted to the WINTON-L mail list an excellent critique (by an unnamed researcher) of the mistaken belief by many that the wife of John Woodson was Sarah Winston, d/o Isaac Winston who died 1760 in Hanover Co., VA. Sarah instead was the w/o John Henry. (I have Sarah and her father Isaac in my RootsWeb World Connect database.) Below is a link to Rodney’s 28 May 2003 post:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WINSTON/2003-0...

John E. Garrett has that John Bates’ wife, Elizabeth, was born in 1605 and that they married in 1624. If true, Elizabeth appears to be from an earlier generation than William Winston, mentioned above. Below is a link to Garret’s “500 Years of Bates Family History”:

http://www.garrettfamily.info/family-history/bates/Bates-Fam...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic