Search for content in message boards

ROSS family in Berbice, Demerara

ROSS family in Berbice, Demerara

Steve Savage (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ross
I'm interested in any information about four brothers. Three of them, Donald Ross (wife Martha), Hector Ross (1786-1822), and John Ross (1793-1837) are recorded as having owned (in turn) Spring Gardens, a cotton and coffee plantation in Berbice. They all came from Alness parish, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. John Ross apparently returned there to die, after getting sunstroke.

A fourth brother, George Ross (born 1798) (wife Christina Munro, his cousin), was a planter in Demerara.
Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2001 5:21AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Munro
The following are references to Spring Garden that I have among my Guyana.British Guiana notes, none of which seem to be linked to the Ross family.

Laurens Lodewyk Van Bercheyck 1759 Map of Guyana
1748 38 [Owner] Thomas Astin (7) Spring Garden 2000
(7) In De Rivier Demerary

F. Von Bouchenroeder List of Pln. Owners 1798
Spring Garden Lot 64 T Astin (11) 2000 A. S. (Abandoned Sugar Pln)
(11) A La Cote Occidentale de Demerarie
Springsgardens Lot 46 Zeagers (18) S
(18) A La Cote Occidentale d'Essequebe
Foulis Lot 26 Dr. Munro (7) 500 C
(7) De Mahaica a Demerarie

Guiana Chronicle and Demerara Gazette, Georgetown Guyana, 2 Jan to 30 Dec 1822 mentions a Pln. Ross, West Coast, Berbice,

Guiana Chronicle Monday 14 September 1835
Died, On the 7th inst., at Pln. Joh, Surinam, suddenly from apoplexy - Mr. Jas MUNRO.

The Guiana Chronicle, Georgetown dated Wednesday, December 18, 1839 contains an alphabetical list demonstrating the RESPECTABILITY, TALENT and STATION of persons including planters and merchants who subscribed to the Dinner in honour of his Excellency THE GOVERNOR. ..
Ross Geo. -
Ross, Edward Barrister-at-Law

List of Estates in the County of Essequibo, Parish of St. Johns 1843
No: Plantation
2 Spring Garden
List of Estates in the county of Berbice : Parish of St. Catherine 1843
23. Rossfield ( left bank of the Berbice River upwards) (coffee estate)

Administrator-General's Office of Demerary and Essequebo, List of Estates referred to in the Official Advertisment December 1846: John Ross, who died in Demerary on or about the 25th July 1836.

Government Notice - Pursuant to Ordinance No. 18, of the year 1851, His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor is pleased to order the following List of Justices of the PEACE for the Colony of British Guiana, residing in the Counties of Demerara, Essequebo, and Berbice, respectively, to be Published for General Information:-
County Essequebo ... Ross, John Landed Proprietor Meerzorg, Wakenam
2nd January, 1854, By Command W.B. WOLSELEY, Acting Government Secretary.

The Official Gazette of British Guiana, Saturday 13 October 1855
The Return of Robert Straker Turton, Acting Provost-Marshal of British Guiana, of MEN Qualified to Serve as JURORS in CRIMINAL CASES, to be Tried in and for the county of Berbice, in British Guiana. Berbice, this 29th day of September 1855. W.W. Bennett, Marshal
Ross, William New-Amsterdam Carpenter Householder

Excerpt from "Pages from The History of The Scottish Kirk in British Guiana", by J.Graham Cruickshank ("The Argosy", Georgetown 1930).
Ross, Francis A.: died 1930 in Nova Scotia, age 83.Founded 2 missions and 4 public elementary schools. Also ministered on island of Grenada post-1890; Army Chaplain in South African war. (CT St. Catherine's parish, West Bank Berbice river)

An index of BDMs in The Colonist Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1864-1880 has entires for the name Ross in the following years: 1869, 7 0, 71, 73, 77, 78, 80. I happen to have the following entries:
Thur 28 Apr 1870 - Married. At Pln. Lusignan, on the 27th inst., by the Rev. Thomas Slater, Minister of St. Andrew's Parish church, Reginald Ross, Manager of Pln. Adelphi, Berbice, to Marion Kirkwood, dau of the late Dr. Allan Houstoun.
Wed 25 Jun 1873 - Died. At Pln. Ogle, on the evening of the 12th inst., Henrietta Charlotte, widow of the late E.C. Ross, Barrister-at-Law, aged 50.
Mon 4 Nov 1878 - Births. At Queen'stown, New Amsterdam, on Wed., 30th ult., the wife of Revd. F.A. Ross, of St. Catherine's, of a daughter.

An index of BDMs in The Argosy Newspaper, Georgetown, British Guiana for 1880-1896 shows entries for the name Ross in the following years: 1883, 86, 88, 92, 93, 96; of which I have the following:
9 June 1888 - Died. At her late residence, Main Street, New Amsterdam, on the 4th inst., M.A. Ross, the wife of Mr. W. Ross, aged 64 years.

Copies of these newspaper are to be found at The British Library Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE England and also at the Public Record Office, Kew, Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU England. A copy of the full extractions is held at Salt Lake City and the Society of Genealogists in London.

Lastly, the 1882 British Guiana Directory lists the following:
Ross, Alex., Manager (Lessee) Foulis, Berbice
Ross, Chas., Manager, Versailles, West Bank, Demerara
Ross, James, Head Overseer, Ruimveld, East Bank, Demerara
Ross, J.A. Overseer, Providence, Berbice
Ross, Rev. F.A. Minister, St. Luke's Church, West Coast
Ross, R.G., Accountant, Collier & son, Camp-st (Dry Goods Merchants, Lot 230, Camp-st)
Ross, Simeon, Clerk, Collier & son, Camp-st
Ross, W.C. McKenzie, Overseer, Stewartville, West Coast, Demerara. (Pln Stewartville was owned by Stewart Gardner, who married into my family.)

In the same Directory, under Proprietors of sugar estates are listed:
Ross, Alex., Lessee of Foulis
Ross, William, Heirs of, Skeldon

I hope that someone from the above is related to you!
Tikwis
Researching in Guyana: Bagot, Cuming, Ferguson,, Forbes, Forte, Gard(i)ner, Loxdale, McMahon, Macnamara, Stack, Steele and Walker.

Re: ROSS family in Berbice, Demerara

Posted: 28 Oct 2007 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: Ross
I have come across your query about this family with amazement as I am related to them & have the family tree & quite a lot of information about them. Their parents were Gordon Ross, a tacksman in Milton Boath, born 1756, died 1815,and their mother born 1759, a daughter of Donald Munro, died at Ardgay in 1842. However, I know little about the time spent in Berbice.

Posted: 15 Mar 2010 7:39PM GMT
I dont know where to start but I am trying to trace the root of Charles ROSS Jnr. Born in PLAISANCE E. C. DEMERARA on 25/07/1875. Father also called Charles ROSS and mother Matilda DARBY

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 11:58PM GMT
Hi there, where are you based? I am also looking for the same person it is a bit of a coincidence and by chance I stumbled on your message. I do have some information and would like to share. Do you have further info as well?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards

Carmen

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 9:28PM GMT
Hi, sorry for the delay. I am based in London. What is your relation to him if at all? He is my grandfather. I would like to share any information I can as I am eager to find out as much as I can about my family.

Regards

Ebomensah

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 9:28PM GMT
Hi, sorry for the delay. I am based in London. What is your relation to him if at all? He is my grandfather. I would like to share any information I can as I am eager to find out as much as I can about my family.

Regards

Ebomensah

Posted: 10 Sep 2010 9:49AM GMT
Surnames: ROSS
Hi Ebo

Charles Ross jnr is my "great" grandfather, did you mean this?

We know of the Mensah family and grew up with their children here is Liverpool. My mum has mentioned some relation to them.

My email is carm.reu@googlemail.com.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Carmen

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 11:29AM GMT
Hi Carmen, I did mean grandfather. I don't know of any family in Liverpool. Mensah is not my surname so I am not sure about them. How are you related to Charles Ross jnr?

Ebomensah

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 11:43AM GMT
Hi Ebo

Okay, so what is your name? I'm a bit confused since Charles Ross jnr was born in 1886, so long ago.

If you send me a number, preferably a landline, I can call you as curiousity is killing me!! or write to my googlemail account. Charles Ross is my great grandfather on my mother's side, his son born in 1905 is my mother's father.

By the way, how old are you? As you may actually be related to my mother? Somehow we will work out the link ;o)

Carmen

per page

Find a board about a specific topic