Search for content in message boards

Bacons in Oklahoma

Bacons in Oklahoma

nancy mckee (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2000 12:12AM GMT
Does anyone have info on John Alfred Bacon or Frederick who came from London, Eng. about 1858-60. John Alfred had sons Albert Henry and James Edward Bacon, and daughter Nell. James was an Indian Agent, I believe. John Alfred moved to Steigler, Ok. and had a ranch between Steigler and Whitefield, Then OK. Territory. Albert and Jas. Edward both married Fowler girls, Lilla and Pearl, sisters. John Alfred was married to Ellen Diana Thompson. Buried in Blue Ridge Cemetery near Whitefield, OK.

Bacons In Ok.

Phyllis Bacon (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 1:07PM GMT
My husband,born in Stigler Ok.in 1939. His father was Duward Edward Bacon. (June 6,1906)He remembers an Uncle Albert. Another brother Orvil.Can't find anything on the Bacons from Ok. Can these names help you?

Bacons in Oklahoma

Posted: 6 May 2001 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2001 10:40PM GMT
Maybe this will help you out some. I found Bacon's in Indian Territory ,in an old book ( printed 1891) and these may very well be some of your ancestors if you check them out a little:

W. H. BACON born July 1845, is the son of Rev. H. Bacon od Pigeon Roost, Mississippi, a Choctaw by blood, who emigrated to Boggy Depot, Choctaw Nation in 1846, where he lived four years, after which he moved to Panola Co., Chickasaw Nation, and died in 1876. In 1861 he enlisted in Stand Watie's Cherokee regiment, fighting battles at Honey Springs, and at Illinois Creek on Dec. 25, 1864. He retired from the service in August 1865 after which he began tending stock, In 1872 he was elected Constable of Panola County, and then elected Judge of Panola in 1881. In 1866 he married Frances Lizenby, daughter of Charles Lizenby, a Kentuckian, by whom he has six children: Samuel J., Edward S., William J., Franklin, Martha, and Gertrude. After the death of his first wife he married Sammie, daughter of Mitchell Hancock, living near Paris, Texas. Mr. Bacon is a farmer and stock raiser.

Re: Bacons in Oklahoma

Posted: 20 Aug 2001 2:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Bonnie,

My name is Jim Martin and I'm a member of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. I'm currently researching the members of a Civil War Artillery, known as Lee's Battery (Confederate) which served in the Indian Territory during the Civil War.

Listed on the rolls of this unit, along with a number of other men, primarily from the Confederate Cherokee Regiments is a "John Bacon". I have found two Bacons on the rolls of the 1st Cherokee Mounted Volunteers; however they are different first names. Do you have any idea who this John Bacon in Lee's Battery might be?

Thanks for you assistance.

Jim Martin

Martins in Okla.

Posted: 16 Jun 2002 5:22AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2002 5:19AM GMT
Surnames: Martins, Sharps, Hicks, Crupper, Wood
Jim, I don't have any inf. on the Bacons, but wonder if you might be related to the Martins of Nowata, Ok.? They lived on/near Big Creek south of the Twin Bridges. There is also a Martin cemetery near Childers, Ok. Am very interested in a James(Jim) and Amanda Martin who lived there. Jim and Bud Martin had a Trading Post on Big Creek in the early days. Thank You, Carlene

Bonnie Rapert (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2002 1:07PM GMT
Hi Jim,

I am not sure I can pin point this Bacon or not, however, there were several Bacon's enrolled in the Cherokee Nation and they were living in the areas of Chelsea, Ok., and Verdigris, Ok. I will see what I can come up with as regards the Civil War listings. Contact me at brapert@cswnet.com and maybe we can nail this fella down.

Posted: 30 Nov 2002 3:17AM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2002 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Bacon
I too am researching a line of bacons from Oklahoma. If they are the correct people, they are my father, Ellis Rull Bacon, and my grandfather, Charles Bacon. Charles was married to a Christine Rull, if he's the right one. I found both of their names on a blood list of some kind. They are Choctaw indians. I will try to find the site addtress for you. I've lost it. However, I do remember that I found it through rootsweb, or something like that. Would be interested in any additional info you might find.

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 8:16PM GMT
Hi Jim I know who the 2 other Bacon's were Thomas and Bailey Bacon were brothers of my gggreatgrandfather William H Bacon who served in the Choctaw and Chickasaw Reg. I am not familar with John, I have not noticed him in my research in Indian Territory or in the Mississippi Territory before removal. Btw, I have read that Watie's reg was made up of indian forces only do you know if this is true? I have some other folks (Lisenbee's) in this company that I have been trying to find more information on.Geo w.,Charles jr., and Eli Lisenbee were born in Crittenden Co Ky. They showed up with their family just before the CW in the Territory or Western Arkansas. Eli was killed during the war George married into the Cherokees and Charles may have also. Thier sister Francis (Franky) married my William H Bacon right after the war. Their father came from NC to Ky abot 1807. Just a thought. Thanks if you find out any other information about John Bacon I would love to know . Linda Davis honeychild51943@sbcglobal.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic