Search for content in message boards

BREEN, Patrick b1849 Co. Kerry d 1899 Boise ID

BREEN, Patrick b1849 Co. Kerry d 1899 Boise ID

J. McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2002 2:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Breen, Harris
Looking for my BREEN and HARRIS ancestors, parents, relatives, and Irish birthplace of my 2ggrandparents.

2ggfather: Patrick Dennis BREEN b. March 14, 1849, Co. Kerry, Ireland. d. February 27, 1899, Boise, ID, USA. He m. Elizabeth HARRIS aka Lizzie, July 28, 1868, Richmond VA; the was the daughter of William HARRIS and Catherine/Katherine O'Connell or O'Connally. She was born May 01, 1853, Co. Cork, Ireland. [Family lore says she was born in Skibbereen, Co. Cork but this is unproven data.] She died. February 1936, Sacramento CA where she was living with a Breen grandson.

Patrick Breen served in US Army, first proven enlistment: Sept. 14, 1865, Co. A 21 Reg, NY Calvary, Petersburg, VA. He was discharged November 1881, Ft. McDermit, NV. After military service he operated his own teamster business in Boise ID. Elizabeth Harris aka Lizzie was a laundress with the US Army. She owned and operated a boarding house in Boise ID.

Any recommendations regarding the IRISH research will be appreciated. They have been brick walls for many years.

J. McDonald
AKMac00@excite.com

Re: BREEN, Patrick b1849 Co. Kerry d 1899 Boise ID

Evan Breen (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2002 1:45PM GMT
Hello,
As you can see Im a Breen living In Dublin Ireland where I am a civil servant. Im originaly from Cork but my Dad Gerard is from Waterford. His father Joseph Breen was from Kerry where there is alot of Breens , there are also a number to be found in County Wexford where the name is thought to originate from. The name comes from the Gaelic word "Bron" which means sorrow, and the Breen moto is believed to be "Fight for right".
I hope this has been of some help.
Regards,
Evan

UPDATE for Patrick Breen

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Breen
Patrick Breen served in 12th Infantry Regiment during the Civil War.

The 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment was reorganize and redesignated as the 21st Infantry Regiment. The 2nd Battalion, then stationed at Camp Winthrop near Richmond, Virginia officially became the 21st Infantry Regiment on 7 December 1866. 3 March 1869 Congress directed the War Department to reduce the total infantry regiment to twenty-five. As part of the reduction the 32nd Infantry was consolidatd with the 21st Infantry. The 32nd was serving in the Arizona Territory. The 21st was ordered to Arizona and departed Richmond on 12 April 1869 and became the first troops to deploy from the east coast to California over the just completed Omaha to San Francisco transcontinental rail line. During the period 9-31 August 1869 each company of the 21st moved into Arizona and consolidated with its corresponding company of the 32nd. Military Returns for Camp Bowie cite the following: August 21st Co. D 21st U.S. Infantry arrived at this post, and is now making its consolation with Co. “D” 32nd Infantry (in compliance with G.O. No. 31, Col. 2, Dept Cal May.12.18) stationed at this post for duty. Based on information discovered within the Military Returns for Fort Bowie, Patrick Breen was at Camp Bowie from 21 Aug 1869 until December 1871 when his transfer to join the 1st Cavalry was approved.

Re: UPDATE for Patrick Breen _ Correction to when he transerred to 1st Cavalry

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 4:27PM GMT
Surnames: Breen, Bernard, Kyle, Dunn
Correction re when Patrick Breen was transferred to 1st Cavalry, G Troop. Reviewed Camp Lowell, A. T., records and discovered Private Patrick Breen's transfer from Camp Bowie, A. T. to Camp Lowell, A. T. Said record indicates this the order was received Feb 9th '71. [Fairly certain the date is incorrect, as you will see below record indicating the 1st Cavalry, Troop "G" departed Arizona Territory on 04 February 1871.

07 June 1871, HQ of the National Div. of the Pacific gave orders to transfer Private Fisher Clifford Book Troop G. 1st Cav to Co. D 21 Infantry and Private Patrick Breen Co. D 21 Infantry to Troop G, 1st Cavalry.
Discovered on Camp Lowell A.R. military returns, "PURPORT" Record, signed off by Thos. Dunn, Captain, 21st Infantry. Commander of the Post.

" The 1st Cavalry, G Troop, was ordered per G.O. 3 Hd. Qtrs. Mil Div of the Pacific and San Francisco CA, Jan 6th, 1871, Capt R. F. Bernard 1st Cav'y [with 2nd Lt. L. G. Klye 1st Cavy] and his Troop "G" 1st Cavy proceeded Feb 4th 1871, Enroute to San Francisco, Cal. for assignment to duty." [discovered on RECORD of EVENTS, Camp Bowie A. T. , February 28th, 1871.

One can follow the 1st Cavalry's timeline to see where Private Patrick Breen may have been in a certain time line, since he .. according to family lore .. remained with the 1st Cavalry until he retired from service in the U.S. Army.

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 4:30PM GMT
Surnames: Breen
Thank You, Evan. I apologize for the delay in responding to your posting. I live in Alaska, but my Breen ancestor lived in NY, and served in American Civil War, in the Union Army and then many years in the army where he was stationed at various camps and forts in the west. His Breen ancestors are a brick wall.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 12:11AM GMT
Greetings.

I have recently been searching info on my great grandfather, Patrick Breen, Co. Kerry. He too lived in New York and enlisted in the Regular Army in 1855 in NY as a musician. He participated in all the major engagements of the Civil War and was discharged after 22 years in the Old Army. However, he was born in 1839 and died in 1909. Seems as though there were/are many Patrick Breens, including a few who served in the Civil War.

Posted: 28 Jun 2014 11:01PM GMT
Hello,
We are related.
I can’t for the life of me figure out if I have contacted you in the past about this guy Sgt Breen. I checked my email addresses and yours did not pop up and the one below bounced.

My great grandmother was Catherine M. Breen and her daughter Mary Elizabeth McNeese was my grandmother, she said her father Bill Fritz left home around 1910 and never came back. She then took her stepfather’s last name of Phillips. I’m trying to find out if he in fact died when he left the house. Mary had three children, Bill, John (my father) and Marilyn, Marilyn is the only surviving child.

I would like to find out where you found Patrick’s military records and if possible get a copy of his records.

Hope this email reaches you as so many contacts have hit a dead end.

Best regards,
Robert McNeese

per page

Find a board about a specific topic