Search for content in message boards

Dennis Hanrahan

Dennis Hanrahan

Posted: 3 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Collins, Keyes, Joyce, O'Sullivan, Carroll, Brown, Galavin
I am searching for the parents of my gggrandfather Dennis Hanrahan. He had 2 brothers and 3 sisters Patrick, Edward,Deborah, Bridget and Ellen.
Dennis m. Hanorah Collins of Knockam parish of Listowel co. Kerry. They had 3 children John, Mary & Hanorah born in Coolaclarig, parish of Lostowel. Hanorah d. 1847 & is burried in Lostowel. Mary m. Patrick Sinon, left Ireland early to mid 1860's for U.S. John Hanrahan came to U.S. ca 1850 m. Sarah Richards 1863 & settled in Mo.
Other known relatives are Carroll, Brown, Keyes, Galavin, Joyce & O'Sullivan.
Any help on this family would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Bobbie

Dennis Hanrahan & Hanorah Collins

Ruth Skidmore (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Collins, Richards, Scott, Skidmore
My great great grandfather is Dennis Hanrahan who married Hanorah Collins. Their son John Henry Hanrahan born Sept 6,1826 married Sarah Ann Richards. Both are buried at St.
Patricks cemetary near Lawryville Mo. The church & cemetary are a Mo. historical site. Their daughter Mary Susan Hanrahan married John William Scott and they had ten children. My father, Arthur Lee Scott was their thrid oldest child. I am just starting to search the background of the Hanrahan family and wish I could give you additional infromation but Email me and perhaps I can fill in some gaps for you. How are you connected to the Hanrahan family Ruth Skidmore

Gallivan, Savage from Darrynane

Posted: 14 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2002 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Gallivan or Galvin, Savage, White
Searching for clues to family of Lawrence Gallivan (Galvin)
and Catherine White. Their daughter Mary Gallivan b. @1839 married Mathew (possibly Michael in Ireland) Savage. Matthew and Mary left Ireland in 1867 for USA. Their children born in Ireland (possibly Darrynane, Kerry) are Honora Dec 1861, Patrick @1863, James 1865. Mathew and Mary then settled in Delaware Co. Indiana near Muncie. They had two children in USA Mary 1869 and John 1874.
Posted: 15 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: BRENNAN, FITZGERALD
We don't share surnames but could you tell us a bit about DARRYNANE? Is DARRYNANE ABBEY still a church? Would appreciate any information you have. Hope you find your family. Patty and Bill

Collins, Gallivan,Galvin

pat fryman (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Gallivan, Galvin
My G-Grandmother, Catherine Collins was born in Tralee,County Kerry in 1848. She emigrated to USA in 1862.
She married John Galvin (family Gallivan from Listowel) in St. Paul, MN in 1871. I don't know the names of any brothers or sisters or her parents. I did find Baptismal Records in 1849 for a Catherine born to a Peter Collins and Catherine Fitzgerald. It is a good possibility but if anyone has info on this family, please send me the info and it will be greatly appreciated. I answered this message because of the names Galvin and Collins.

Galvin in St. Paul

Jennifer Quinlan (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Galvin, Gallivan, Moloney
I have a John Galvin bapt. 13 Nov 1843 in Co. Kerry. His parents were Maurice Gallivan and Catherine Moloney, both buried in St. Paul. Siblings were Juliana, Catherine, Mary, Daniel, Michael and Mary. They came to St. Paul after 1846 but I'm not sure which year exactly although it was definitely before 1862. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Re: Dennis Hanrahan

Posted: 8 Jul 2001 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2001 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Joyce
My gg-grandfather is Patrick Hanrahan, from Ireland, and he probably came to the US in 1857. He married Mary HURLEY. The settled in Steuben Co., New York (Thurston, Rathbone, and Corning). There were three Hanrahan farms in the area, we suspect the other two belong to John and James.
In the 1900 Rathbone, Steuben Co., NY census Patrick had Living with him his grand-daughter, Mary JOICE. and in the 1892 Rathbone census, He had Hannah JOYCE living with him. Patrick was born about 1826, Hannah Joyce b. about 1859, and Mary Joyce about 1892. If any of this sounds like it may matche your research, please let me know. I'd be willing to share information on these families.

Re: Galvin in St. Paul

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: HANRAHAN, COLLINS, GALAVIN
Thank you for ans. my query. The names you mention are so similar to mine & being from the same co.(Kerry) in Ireland I'm sure there must be a connection. My ggrandfather John Hanrahan wrote a paper before he died which I have a copy of. In it he says his father Dennis Hanrahan had 2 brothers & 3 sisters. His sister Bridget m. Maurice Galavan & they had 4 children: John(who died in the Britisharmy), Michael, Mary & Maurice. Could this son Maruice be the Maurice you speak of with wifeCatherine?
I'm curious how you found baptismal record for your John Galvin in co., Kerry Ireland I have been unable to obtain any records at all.
I have had little to no luck with my Hanrahans & families any help you could give would be wonderful.
Thank you, Bobbie

Re: Dennis Hanrahan and Rathbone, Steuben Co. NY HANRAHANs

Sue Moran (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2002 4:21AM GMT
I am researching my Hanrahan ancestors who emigrated from Ireland about 1849 and settled in Waterloo, Seneca Co. and Geneva, Ontario Co., NY. They are Andrew and James Hanrahan.

I noticed this post and am writing since I have some additional info on Hanrahan families in the Rathbone area. Hanrahan was a somewhat unusual name in the central NYS area in the 1800's and 1900's so I looked for all instances of the Hanrahan surname to help my search.

On the copies of the 1900 census you mentioned I see James Hanrahan family following the listing for your Patrick Hanrahan. James has Sara wife, children: Steven, Ann, Hellen, & Edward (brother. Just above the listing for Patrick are William and wife Jennie, with children: John, Edward, Leana.

In the 1880 census for Rathbone are James Hanrahan, age 60, wife, Ellen age 48, and children Ellen, Timothy, Rosanna , Catharine and Thomas. Also, John Hanrahan, age 64, with wife Ellen 50 and children: Kate, William, Henry, Daniel and Edward. Finally, Patrick listed as widowed or divorced with children; Annie, susanna, Frank, Mary J., Thomas, Martin, Michael, Nellie, James and Joseph.

Last is the 1870 census for Rathbone with Patrick age 50 and his wife Ellen age 40 and Mary, Kate, Willie, John, Maggie, James, Patrick.

I also have a marriage registration from the Catholic Church in Stanley, Ontario Co, NY for Henry Hanrahan of Rathbone, son of James and Helen Hanrahan who married Mary Merriman of Rushville, with witness Thomas Hanrahan.

I have no idea if these Hanrahans are linked to mine, but if copies of the info could help you or someone else I would be glad to send them along. I would also be interested in any other info you have on your Hanrahan's origins in Ireland. I believe mine are from County Limerick.
Sue

Re: Dennis Hanrahan and Rathbone, Steuben Co. NY HANRAHANs

Posted: 27 Jul 2002 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Hanrahan, Stratton, Cahill, Hurley
Thank you for the info. I've had a hard time following the Hanrahan family before their arrival in the US. And there are so many Hanrahans with the same first names. I'm in the process of changing e-mail accounts, so I'll send more information at a later time. However, here's a brief look at the family, starting with me.

James L. Hanrahan
b. 4 May 1976 (corning, steuben, NY)

William F. Hanrahan (my dad)
b. 27 Sep 1943
m. Suzanne Dyer (b. 1944)

James Bernard Hanrahan (my grandpa)
b. 18 Feb 1908
m. Ida Marie Stratton (b.24 Dec 1912)
--children
Michael J. (b.1931)
Thomas L. (b.1933)
John C. (b.1935)
Barbara E.(b.1941)
William F. (see above)
Judith H. (b.1947)

James Stephen Hanrahan (g-grandpa)
b. 1 Jan 1879
m. Helen Theresa Cahill (b.14 Nov 1883)
--children

Leo T. (b.1903)
Margaret M. (b. 1905)
James B. (--see above--)
Lillian F. (b. 1914)
Mary Catherine Houge (adopted)

Patrick Hanrahan (b.abt 1826)
m. Mary Hurley (b.1836)
both came over from Ireland
--children--
John (b.1856)
Annie (b. abt 1858)
Susanna (b. abt 1860)
Frank (b.1863)
Mary (b. 1865)
Thomas (b. 1868)
Martin (b.1872)
Michael (b. 1873)
Nellie (1876)
James (--see above--)
Joseph(b. 1880)

Patrick probably came over with his father, and some brothers and sisters.

we think some of Patrick's brothers may have been James and John.

John Hanrahan (b.1830) married Ellen Hurley (b.1832)

This is all I've been able to find, but if you'd like additional info on some of the children, wives, etc..., post a reply to this message, and I'll let you know my new e-mail address. As far as any further info you have, I'd love to share it.

Thanks, Jim

per page

Find a board about a specific topic