Search for content in message boards

LOST MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA

LOST MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA

Posted: 15 Sep 2001 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jul 2003 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: McElwreath/McElreath
Seeking infromation about the area of Lost Mountain where my gggrandfather Michael McElwreath, lived and died about 1855. I have been unable to find any history of this area. j.g.mount@att.net

Re: LOST MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA

Posted: 1 Sep 2002 3:01AM GMT
Lost Mountain, GA is located between Hwy 120 and US41 about 6 to 8 miles west of Marietta, GA. There is a historical county store called Lost Mountain Store on the corner of Lost Mtn Rd and Hwy 20 which has been converted into a bank, Independent Bank & Trust whose home office is located in Powder Springs, GA. They might be able to give you more information about the historical area of Lost Mountain. Good Luck!!!

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2003 10:17PM GMT
Thank you so much for this information. I appreciate it. J

Posted: 7 Feb 2009 12:38PM GMT
We moved to Lost Mountain last year and have been researching the history of the area. There is a website hosted by the Georgia Historial Society that has a lot of old pictures of the Lost Mountain community. Google "Vanishing Georgia" and that will take you to the link. The you can go into the archives for Lost Mountain for more information. We found pictures of our homesite on Lost Mountain dated 1905. Our neighbor's family (the Wards) were one of the founding families of the Lost Mountain area back in the last 1800's.

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 2:55PM GMT
It looks like I'm about 10 years late responding to this, but I attend Midway Presbyterian Church in what was formerly referred to as Lost Mountain. The original church building was built in 1850 and we have a cemetery plot with some 19th century graves and access to a few records about the community. Unfortunately many of our earliest records were lost in 1866 due to Civil War battles. If you are still interested I may be able to help or find the information you are looking for.

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 10:46PM GMT
Hello, I so appreciate your offer of help with info on this area. My ancestors were the McElwreaths/McElreaths of Lost Mountain, Ga. Apparently when Michael (the father) died he was living with his son John of Lost Mountain area. I would appreciate anything you can find about any of them. They are facinating people and I love being related to them. I appreciate your offer. Judy Mount

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 12:59AM GMT
I live on a foothill of Lost Mountain and I can tell you that it is not in Hiram, Ga. Hiram is 13 miles from here in another county. It is located off of Dallas Hwy known as 120 and Highway 176. Our mailing address is Kennesaw Ga although some subdivisions not too far has their mailing address of Powder Springs, Ga. Lost Mountain is almost 2000ft tall and it is located about 8 miles west of downtown Marietta, Ga. There was a civil war battle here and we have trenches on our lot from where the Confederates dug. They are quite deep ditches. Where our clubhouse now stands, some neighbors say that when it was being built they found remains of a Cherokee Indian village. So Lost Mountain has a lot of history but it is hard to find anything written about it. Currently, the very top of the mountain is being developed for million dollar homes and the view is amazing. You can see the tall buildings of downtown Atlanta in the distance. Atlanta is about 20-23 miles south of here. Hope that helps. Oh, I didn't mention it is beautiful here.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: McElreath, McElwreath , Dowdy
My GGGG Grandfather was Michael McElreath. We have to be related. My GGG grandparents were Martin V. Buren M. and Mary Beasley. I've found a very old photo that might be Rachel Dowdy McElreath.I wish I could identify. Almost impossible to make out the words on back. I also wonder Why the W. was dropped from our name.I saw the reference to lost Mountain on the family records. Thanks, Jerry McElreath, Danielsville,Ga.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 4:06AM GMT
Surnames: McElreath, McElwreath , Dowdy
My GGGG Grandfather was Michael McElreath. We have to be related. My GGG grandparents were Martin V. Buren M. and Mary Beasley. I've found a very old photo that might be Rachel Dowdy McElreath.I wish I could identify. Almost impossible to make out the words on back. I also wonder Why the W. was dropped from our name.I saw the reference to lost Mountain on the family records. Thanks, Jerry McElreath, Danielsville,Ga.

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 1:10AM GMT
Judy I am a relative of the Meade and Cambridge Families,Mother was a Catherine Meade Father was Patrick Meade,would be interisted in any information of these families.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic