Search for content in message boards

John McMahon b. 1829, Patrick McMahon b. 1836

John McMahon b. 1829, Patrick McMahon b. 1836

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 6:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McMahon, McSweeney, Cunningham, Moonan
Looking for information on John and Patrick McMahon, who according to 2 Civil War Biographies were sons of Edmund and Mary (McSweeney) McMahon. They settled in Waterville, Maine in about 1850.The only ship's record I could find with both names is - the Washington, Liverpool to NY, August 1850. It had McMahon, Mary, Patrick, and John. Found Mary McMahon working as housekeeper in the Hospital for the Insane in Augusta, Kennebec, Maine in 1860. By then, both John and Patrick had gone to Winnebago, Wisconsin. John married?(can find no record of marriage--only an intention to marry in Kennebec in 1852-by then they already had one child.) Hannah Cunningham, and they had 9 children.According to the Civil War documents, the marriage records were lost on the trip to Wisconsin. Patrick married Mary Moonan, and can find no record of children. Both John and Patrick served, and were wounded, in the Civil War. Have all those documents, and there are no clues as to where they were from in Ireland. Don't know what to do next. Help would be appreciated.

Re: John McMahon b. 1829, Patrick McMahon b. 1836

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 10:30PM GMT
Hello AlliesM,

Unfortunately there are no civil registrations records in Ireland before 1864 to find the birth records for your ancestors and no surviving census records before 1901.

There are no records in Ireland about who emigrated, where they went, when or what happened to them after emigration.

Church parish records for their religious denomination and birthplace in Ireland, i.e. the town/townland, civil parish and county, that survive are possible sources for baptismal records for them. Irish church parish records aren't computerised or available online.

Here's a map of Ireland showing the 32 counties:
http://philnorf.tripod.com/ireland.htm

And there's a list of the names of the 64,000 towns and townlands in Ireland in each of the 32 counties at http://www.seanruad.com and pick whatever county you're interested in to search.

So you need to research the civil and church records for your Irish born ancestors to identify where they were born in Ireland, i.e. town/townland, civil parish and county, and their religious denomination and their parents names. The records in the US include their civil and church marriage and death records, cemetery records, tombstones, wills and obituaries as well as their US Naturalisation records.

Their children's civil and church birth/baptism, marriage and death records, obituaries may include where their parents were born in Ireland.

All the US census records from 1790 to 1930 are online and fully searchable by surname so you can also search them in the US census records to then locate their civil and church records in the localities where they lived in the US.

Jack

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 11:31PM GMT
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I have tried some of what you suggested, and was actually hoping that I could make contact with someone related that may have family information that is not available any other way. Just a longshot, but have had a lot of luck doing that for other branches of my tree. Found my sister's husband's family back to mid 1500's doing just that.
The information I need is not on the death records, Civil War records, and there don't seem to be any marriage records. Have found the headstones, and nothing there.
In the meantime, I will keep slogging, and hope I get lucky.
Thanks again.

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 11:44PM GMT
AlliesM,

Unfortunately with no census records in Ireland before 1901 and no online computerised church parish records, there's no way for anyone in Ireland to know even who their ancestors were or where they lived. And of course, no way to know who emigrated or where they went. Many of the thousands of church parish records in Ireland don't even survive back to the birthdates of your ancestors in 1836 and 1829.

Even when Irish civil registrations records began in 1864, they don't include the ages or birthplaces of the parents, the death records don't include the deceased's birthplace or parents names, and the marriage records don't include birthplaces either.

So you'd need to research in the US to search locally from information in the US census records to find the civil and church and other records you need to identify where in the 32 counties of Ireland and 64,000 towns and townlands your ancestors were born. And the US records would be both for the Irish born emigrants as well as their children.

You can also post on the various message boards in the localities where they lived in the US to identify how to obtain the various records available to you in the US from civil and religious sources.

Jack

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 11:54PM GMT
AlliesM,

Here's an example of the Roman Catholic parish records in County Limerick. Here's a map of the County and if you click on East Limerick and West Limerick you'll find the maps for all the parishes in County Limerick:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/tippe...

Click on each of those individual parishes and you'll see the dates covered in the records as well as how the records can be accessed.

So as you can see the records are all very location specific for the town/towland, civil parish and county of birth and may not even include the dates you need for your ancestors possible baptismal records.

Jack

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 11:54PM GMT
AlliesM,

Here's an example of the Roman Catholic parish records in County Limerick. Here's a map of the County and if you click on East Limerick and West Limerick you'll find the maps for all the parishes in County Limerick:
http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/tippe...

Click on each of those individual parishes and you'll see the dates covered in the records as well as how the records can be accessed.

So as you can see the records are all very location specific for the town/townland, civil parish and county of birth and may not even include the dates you need for your ancestors possible baptismal records.

Jack

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions