Search for content in message boards

GRIFFIN'S OF COUNTY CLARE

GRIFFIN'S OF COUNTY CLARE

Posted: 22 Aug 2002 11:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Aug 2002 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: GRIFFIN, BARRY, RALSTON
I am looking for any info on John Joseph Griffin born May 13, 1838 in County Clare. His death certificate lists his father as Davis (could be David) and his mother as Harlana Barry. They had sons Thomas Francis, Edward Thomas, John, William Edward and daughters Elizabeth, Nellie and Margaret. Their children were born in Rochester, NY. John died in Minnesota January 18, 1931. Any information or direction for further information would help

Thanks

Re: GRIFFIN'S OF COUNTY CLARE

Posted: 7 Oct 2002 9:56PM GMT
Edited: 10 Oct 2003 11:33PM GMT
I cant say there is a connection or not;however, a distantcousin of mine by the name of John Griffin was a student at Niagara U. in 1938. I believe he may have come from Rochester NY. Its possible he was a decendant of one of John Josephs children. Can you recall any relatives in Ireland or the USA by the names of Madigan, Blake (which is the connection to Griffin as well as Barry) or Nash?Also, have you seen the posts regarding the Griffins on 3,4,5,6,and 7 Oct.? Best regards, Vin madigan

Posted: 8 Oct 2002 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: GRIFFIN, BARRY
Vin,

I have not seen the other postings, but will look at them. I don't have any other names. Other than I found that John Joseph came to the US in 1847 (found him on a census and listed date of emigration as 1847). Also his father was listed as Davis on his death certificate, but now found may have actually been Denis. I have access to ancestry.com census. Anything you want me to look up for you? What was your John's father's name?

Posted: 8 Oct 2002 8:59PM GMT
,Marsha, thank you for your prompt reply. No, I do not have any information on my John Griffins parents, only that which I have posted. If you have access to the 1860, 1870, and 1890 census and you dont have to spend a lot of time on it, I would appreciate you looking up Martin Madigan in the CT and PA portions. Thank you. Best regards and God Bless. Vin Madigan

Posted: 9 Oct 2002 9:58AM GMT
Vin,

What areas of PA and CT. Any idea? Any idea of how old they would be during the census? I'll start looking for you.

Marsha

Posted: 9 Oct 2002 9:58PM GMT
Marsha, Martin Madigan would be about 32 and living in the Danbury Ct area with wife Anne in the 1860 census; as for the 1870 census he most likely would be either in Ct or PA perhaps in the Co. of Tioga (I know he and family was listed in the 1880 census in Tioga . In the 1890 census its most likely he and wife and maybe one of the children went back to Danbury. This is a lot of work and I am most greatful for your kindness. Please let me know after reading theother posts if I can connect any Griffin dots Best regards, Vin Madigan

Posted: 9 Oct 2002 10:20PM GMT
Vin,

I found a Martin Madigan in the 1860 census for Danbury, however, he is 28 occupation laborer. His wife is Nancy age 28. There is also a Thomas Madigan age either 30 or 50 (can't read it) occupation laborer. And then in the same house a Thomas Nash age 12, Michael Hart age 25 and Michael Leary age 26. All from Ireland. Most of the 1890 census was destroyed by fire and there isn't any listing for CT or PA. I will keep looking in the 1880 census. Where would he have been in 1850? Have you tried the Family Trees section of Roots Web? And how do I retrieve the other postings?

Thanks,

Marsha

Posted: 10 Oct 2002 6:04PM GMT
Marsha, This is strange. The Martin you found in the 1860 census is about the same age but his wifes name isAnne Nash who would be the same age as this Nancy. Thomas is the name of his first born but born in 1860 (maybe a relative?) Thomas Nash could be a brother of Anne Nash. The whole family of Martin, Anne, Thomas, Martin, Richard, John, Margaret, and Stephen (my grandfather) all appear in the 1880 census living in Duncan, Tioga County, Pa. Martin and Anne mostlikely were still in Ireland in 1850. See Surname Helper Section of Roots Web,County clare Ireland and enter Madigan, query first page for Griffin postings. Thank you, regards Vin

Terry Murrihy (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2002 12:14PM GMT
Vin, I have a number of Griffin's & Madigan's in my Murrihy family database, due you have any Murrihy's in yours.

Regards

Terry Murrihy
Geelong
Victoria
Australia

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 4:57PM GMT
Sorry Terry but there are no Murrihy's that I know of in the database. Maybe a possibility, my greatgrandfather Martin Madigan had a brother David who immigrated to Australia i nthe 1850's at least taking the madigan name to your country. Thats the only link I know of. Thank you for your response. Regards, Vin Madigan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic