Search for content in message boards

Warner marriage/Nova Scotia/1881 Census etc.

Warner marriage/Nova Scotia/1881 Census etc.

Posted: 15 Dec 2002 2:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Warner, Byers
Hi:

Would some one be so kind to do a marriage lookup for the following individuals?
Religion: Church of England

Name: Daniel Warner
DOB: abt. 1810
DOD: unknown

Sophia (Byers) Warner
DOB: 1807
DOD: unknown

They were listed in the 1881 census for Ward 2, Halifax, Nova Scotia. in the following location:

District 9
Sub District B
Division 2
Page Number 62
Household Number 297

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

John H. Swanson
Center Ossipee, New Hampshire
USA

Re: Warner marriage/Nova Scotia/1881 Census etc.

Posted: 15 Dec 2002 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Warner, Byers
Please forward all mail regarding this query to:
John H. Swanson
E Mail address: swanee2@rcn.com

Posted: 16 Jan 2003 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2003 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Warner, Warnel, Wournell, Bayer, Byers
I E-mailed the requested information in December but have had no acknowledgment that you have received same. For others that may also be interested in this line, the following applies.
Daniel Warner (Warnel, Wournell) and Sophia Byers (Bayers, Bayer) were married at Christ Church in Dartmouth N.S. August 30, 1842.
Daniel was likely the son of Daniel Wournell and his wife Nancy who came to NS from Charleston S.C. in 1782 with his father and family. (petition for land at Tatamagouche NS in 1808).

Regards
Bernie Smith

jenny shier (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2003 4:22PM GMT
Unfortunately I can't help you with your request. However my maternal blood line includes the Warners from Halifax dating back to a generation before this wedding. My family history is that there were two brothers and a sister. The sister's name was Catherine or Kate. Apparently she was disowned by the family when she married an Englishman, John Waterhouse; upon which marriage they returned to England. During the 1950's my mother managed to contact and meet, in Halifax, a grandaughter of one of these brothers: Mrs Madeline Commeau. She was surprised to learn that there had been a sister. Family resemblance was very strong. Is there a chance we are both researching the same family? Looking forward to hearing from you and good luck in your search.

Many thanks
Jenny Shier (Western Australia)

Bernard Smith (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 10:28AM GMT
Surnames: Warner, Wournell, Warnell
Jenny: You know by my previous reply that I believe that the parents of Daniel Warner (Wournell) were Daniel and Nancy. Daniel came to NS with his father and family from South Carolina in 1782. I am interested in what you have for parents of Your Daniel,husband of Sophia.

Regards
Bernie Smith

jenny shier (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 11:34AM GMT
Daniel and Sophia are not in my family records. My only knowledge is of the marriage of Catherine Warner and John Waterhouse in N.S. toward the end of the 19th century.

Cheers,
Jenny

Una T. Fischer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2003 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Warner /Warnell
My grandmother was Janet (Warner)Warnell of Jeddore, N.S.She married Peter Hurley of Meagher's Grant. She was the daughter of Daniel Warnell and Emma Warner. I would appreciate any information. Was the sir name changed from Warner to Warnell.as has been suggested or are Warnells and Warners two distinct families. I would appreciate any information., and will reply. Una T. Fischer.

Una T. Fischer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2003 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Warner /Warnell
My grandmother was Janet (Warner)Warnell of Jeddore, N.S.She married Peter Hurley of Meagher's Grant. She was the daughter of Daniel Warnell and Emma Warner. I would appreciate any information. Was the sir name changed from Warner to Warnell.as has been suggested or are Warnells and Warners two distinct families. I would appreciate any information., and will reply. Una T. Fischer.

Bernard Smith (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2003 4:07PM GMT
Surnames: Warner Warnell Wournell
There is some controversy about the name changes. The first two W...? in NS were Michael "Wournell", Halifax, 1785 and Daniel
"Warnell", Tatamagouche, 1782. The children of Alexander and Robert, both sons of Daniel seem to be called Warners. The other
branches are mixed among the three names. There were also Warners in Halifax at this time, descended from Christian Warner. Both
Michael and Daniel were from South Carolina.
Was your Janet Warnell the daughter of Daniel and Emily Bayers?
My aunt, Alma Smith, married John Leighton Dillman. His brother Cecil married Gertrude Hurley, also a daughter of Peter and Janet.
These Dillmans were grandsons of John Dillman and Louisa Wournell.

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 3:33AM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2006 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: Bayerss/Beyers/Wournell/Warner
Hi Jenny:

I am still attempting to find the parents of Sophia Bayers/Beyers/Bayer/Beyer but have yet to verify who these ancestors might be. In your earlier responce dated 15 Feb. 2003, you had indicated that during the 50's, your mother had manged to contact a grandaughter of one of the sons from the marriage of Sophia Bayers and Daniel Charles Wournell/Warner. This grandaughter, according to that responce was a Mrs. Madeline Commeau. If you have any additional information concerning this link to the past, it would be greatly appreciated.

John H. Swanson
Center Ossipee, NH (USA)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic