Search for content in message boards

James Kirk of VA

James Kirk of VA

Scott Williams (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2000 8:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Rosson
I am trying to find information on James Kirk who married Elizabeth Rosson early 1700s. I have information that James Kirk died ca. 1737-39 in Virginia. Left wife living next door to her father William Rosson. They had at least 4 children; James, John, William, and Christopher. We also know that Christopher married and had a son by the name Christopher Kirk, Jr. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: James Kirk of VA

Charisse Kirk Widener (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 5:42PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Rosson
Dear Scott,

I have information on a Christopher Kirk that was in Lancaster
co VA and his son Christopher that was married to an Elizabeth , the first
one was married to Ann. I am very interested in corresponding with you to
see what you have on the Kirk family and I would like to explore the James kirk
and Elizabeth Rosson connection if there is one. It would get me back one more
generation. Thanks.

Charisse

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2007 12:41PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Kirke
Charisse,

I also have some information on the early Kirks of Virginia, but most of it only covers those in my direct lineage (the ones who moved to Alabama and thence to Mississippi).

The first Kirk was Christopher Kirke, who emigrated to Virginia in 1635 and married Alice ----. He died in 1652.Their children were Christopher Kirke Jr., Mary Kirke, and Elizabeth Kirke.

Christopher Kirk Jr. married Ann ----. He died in 1705. Their children were James Kirk, Christopher Kirk III, Thomas Kirk, Robert Kirk, and Ann Kirk.

Christopher Kirk III married Ann ----. He died in 1722. Their children were William Kirk, Christopher Kirk IV, Thomas Kirk, John Kirk, Alice Kirk, and Rebecca Kirk.

Christopher Kirk IV married Elizabeth ----. He died in 1736. Their child was Anthony Kirk.

There were several James Kirks - James Kirk (son of Christopher Kirk Jr), who married Elizabeth ----. and died in 1717. He also had a son named James, who married Mary ---- and died in 1777; Christopher Kirk IV's son Anthony had a son named James, who married Judith ----; Robert Kirk (son of Christopher Kirk Jr) married Margarett ---- and died in 1727. They had 6 children, one of whom was James Kirk, but I have no information about him.

Hope this has helped.

Jim

Charisse Kirk (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 2:04AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Lewis
Jim Kirk,

I received your message and I think I am related through Christopher Kirk IV to Thomas Kirk to Anthony Kirk to Benjamin to Charles Lewis who was my great grandfather. I have been serching for Thomas's father and the consensus is that it is Christopher Kirk the IV. If you have any more information on descendents I would like to hear from you. I have some information and maybe we could trade. Thanks

Charisse Kirk

Posted: 8 Nov 2001 9:26PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Brent, Griggs
Charisse,

I'm afraid that I realy don't have much information other than my previous post, but here's what I have from my family history:

"Christopher Kirk, IV - wife, Elizabeth ----
His will was vound in vol. 13, page 9, probated May 12, 1736, Lancaster Co., Va. Records.
1. Anthony Kirk, married Sarah Brent, May 4, 1747.
Will - Vol. 17, page 29, probated Jan. 20, 1764, Lancaster Co., Va. Records.
1. Thomas Kirk
2. James Kirk, wife Judith Kirk
1. Anthony Kirk
2. Mary Kirk
3. Catherine Kirk
4. Sarah Griggs"

Source: McNees, Lucien L., "Kirk Family and Related Families," (C) 1957 (self published).

Cousin Lucien was more naturally more interested in our branch of the Kirk family, so that's what wound up in his history. Unfortunately, he died quite a few years back and I haven't found anyone who wound up with his records and notes. But he was a member of the Mississippi Historical Society and the Mississippi Genealogical Society and had a BA from Mississippi College, so I'd be willing to bet that his records might have been donated to one of those organizations.

My recommendation is to check out the Lancaster, VA records. For that matter, have you found any Kirks still living in that part of Virginia?

Regards,
Jim Kirk

CHARISSE KIRK WIDENER (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 10:26PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Duncan, Riley, Claxton, Branham
DEAR JIM,

IT WAS VERY NICE OF YOU TO WRITE AN ANSWER TO MY INQUIRY. WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET PAST MY THOMAS KIRK THAT WAS BORN IN LANCASTER CO VA IN 1727. HE WAS MARRIED TO MARGOT DUNCAN OR A MARGARET RILEY BY SOME ACCOUNTS. I HAVE ALL THEIR CHILDREN BUT AM DESCENDED FROM ANTHONY WHO WAS BORN APPROX, 1765 AND MARRIED A MARTHA CLAXTON AND THEN MARRIED A NANCY ANN BRANHAM. SHE WAS A WIDOW AND HER MAIDEN NAME WAS BOHANNAN. I AM DESCENDED FROM THEIR CHILD TOGETHER BENJAMIN LOGAN KIRK. HE CAME TO MISSOURI AND SETTLED IN WESTON MO. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AS MUCH INFORMATION AS I CAN TO FIND WHERE WE FIT IN BUT SOMETIMES IT IS CONFUSING AS YOU WELL KNOW. I THOUGHT MAYBE WE FIT IN WITH THE CHRISTOPHER KIRK LINE BECAUSE I HAVE RESEARCHED THE OTHERS AND NOT GETTING ANYWHERE. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND IF YOU COME UP WITH ANY MORE I SURE WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD WRITE ME A LINE. IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU WANT JUST LET ME KNOW. THANKS CHARISSE

CHARISSE KIRK WIDENER (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2002 10:32PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:31PM GMT
JIM,

I FORGOT TO ADD THAT WE JUST GOT BACK FROM VIRGINIA A MONTH AGO AND GOT TO SEE THE ORIGINAL LAND THAT MY THOMAS AND HIS SONS OWNED. IT WAS KIND OF SPECIAL TO BE THERE AND SEE OUR BEGINNINGS. THERE ARE A FEW PEOPLE LEFT THERE AND I CALLED TO SEE IF ANY OF THEM DID GENEOLOGY AND WE WERE INVITED TO SPEND THE AFTERNOON WITH A BROTHER AND SISTER IN THEIR 70S. THEY HAD MOVED BACK TO VIRGINIA AFTER LIVING IN NORTH CAROLINA FOR A WHILE. THEY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH INFORMATION BUT THEY GAVE ME SOME CONTACTS TO USE WHEN I GOT HOME WHICH WAS NICE. THEY HAD JUST STARTED REALLY AND WE WERE ABLE TO GIVE THEM SOME INFO. THANKS AGAIN. CHARISSE

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2003 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2003 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Widener
I'm not sure if this will help or not but my father was married to a widener and he was a Kirk as well His name is Emory and married to Sarah he live in Roanoke Va. when he past away in 1974 he was born in W Va. in 1915 to ollie and charlie Kirk

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 9:02AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2004 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk, Emmons
Hello, we are descended from Christopher Kirk(e). GGG Grandfather was Wm., b.7-6-98, m. Sarah Emmons, b.6--2-03. They came to Oregon in the 1850's. Any info on Virginia (Giles Co.) Kirks appreciated!

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Kirk
Hello!

Thank you for writing. I've printed your message and will do some research. My family was directly involved with a book called, "The Early Settlers of Lee County Virginia and Adjacent Counties," and, "The Bicentennial History of Lee County Virginia - 1792 - 1992." I'm constantly in those books! I'll let you know my findings.

Regards,
Wanda Kirk-Huester
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions