Search for content in message boards

Helen Fortuna - b. 1884

Helen Fortuna - b. 1884

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2013 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Fortuna
Trying to trace a Russian "Fortuna" surname. Helen Fortuna, b. 1884, appears she came to the US. In 1901. 1910 census states both parents were Russian.

Seeking any info on her family or immigration records....so far no luck :(

Any advice on where/how to search?

Re: Helen Fortuna

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 5:38PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2013 1:33PM GMT
Can you give the location of the 1910 census? I do not find your target in that census with the details you have given.

Re: Helen Fortuna

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 3:38PM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2013 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Fortona, Fortuna
Hello! My apologies, it appears I missed your reply on my thread here until a poster on another board was kind enough to point it out to me.

My Helen Fortuna married in 1909 and is Helen Bergman on the 1910 census. Husband Charles (Karl) Bergman from Sweden.

In the days since I originally posted this, I also found some additional information, but unfortunately nothing that pinpoints her birthplace in more detail than "Russia", and nothing that mentions parents or any other family members.

Her date of birth, per her death certificate, is 15 Aug 1885.

She came to the US in 1905, per the 1910 census. I have had no luck in locating a ship manifest for her, with the possible exception of an Alena Fortuna I found on the Ellis Island site. But I haven't been able to verify anything with that.

She married Charles Bergman 31 July 1909. I know the priest was a Fr. John Hrabar, but I am still in the process of tracking down the correct church.

They had a daughter, Sigrid Cecilia Bergman, on Aug 13, 1912. Sigrid's birth certificate lists her mother as Helen Fortona Bergman from Russia.

Helen died of tuberculosis on 7 Apr 1915, and was buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Lansdowne PA, on 10 Apr 1915.

After Helen died, Karl remarried and had several more children. Supposedly Sigrid used to go visit family members that the other children were not allowed to, and these may have been relatives of Helen's. Unfortunately I have no names and this is based only on hearsay.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions