Search for content in message boards

Ordering a VA Marker?

Ordering a VA Marker?

Posted: 31 May 2010 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi all :)...

My grandfather served for over 20 years and saw combat in WWII and the Korean War. He died in 1976 and is buried here in our local private cemetery. When he died my father was only 18 years old but he isn't sure why my grandmother did not ask for a military burial -- my grandmother was in the civil service and both worked on the Army base near here at Ft. Wood.

I'd like to have a VA marker placed at his grave. Just the flat plaque that sits on the ground, honoring his service. I've looked through the VA website but apparently they only furnish markers for those who have died since 1990. Is there any other way I can get a small marker through the VA? I see no way to order one independently but I feel he deserves one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Ordering a VA Marker?

Posted: 31 May 2010 9:36PM GMT
Have you looked on the VA's website?

http://www.cem.va.gov/hm_hm.asp

Posted: 31 May 2010 9:55PM GMT
I have. It looks as if one can only order a marker if the death was later than 1990 and unfortunately, my grandpa died in 1976.

Thanks for the help though!

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 1:34AM GMT
I think you are looking a this wrong. Why don't you talk to someone at a funeral home or a veterans admin. They should be able to help you.

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 12:24PM GMT
I actually did contact two funeral homes in the area, one who happened to bury my grandfather, but neither could offer help. Both suggested I check with the VA. I've also contacted our local American Legion post, of which my grandfather was one of four founding members, and they suggested I do the same...

I thought perhaps someone who frequents the Ancestry boards might have been through the process before...or might have an idea of what the process even is :).

Thanks!

Posted: 1 Jun 2010 3:34PM GMT
You're in a bit of a gray area. Your grandfather both died before the cutoff date of 1990 to have a military marker for a privately marked grave(civilian headstone), and he's buried in a private cemetery. You will have to contact the VA first to see if they might be able to bend the rules a little to help you. If you run into a wall, I would then suggest you contact your Congressional reps office for help.
You may be able to get the new veterans medallion designed to be fixed to a private headstone. The contract for these hasn't been issued yet, but they expect to start issuing them in June. These have the same cut off dates as the headstones, 1990 for veterans buried in marked graves but it may be easier to obtain.
There will be a cost for the headstone should you manage to get one, as the VA doesn't pay for the setting and foundation of a headstone in a civilian cemetery.

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 4:59PM GMT
Since you are not getting any information. I think if I were you I would fill out the VA form and mail it in see what happens. The form # is VA-1330.

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 3:41PM GMT
I am not sure you will receive this. There is a new "madellion" that can be affixed to the head stone. You can e-mail me at ourpops2@cox.net and I will send you the article with the information. All of our "vets" deserve to be recongnized for their service.

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 9:47PM GMT
I am interested inthis informaion conderning the madellions. My father passed away in 1998 and we could not even get a military burial. When he buried, the funneral director and his assistant was the one that fold the flag that was draped over the coffin. How sad it is that eople that severed their country would hot be afforded the honors they so well deserve.

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 2:20PM GMT
If you send me your e-mail address, I will send you the information as an attachment, or you can contact the local VA office for the information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic