Search for content in message boards

Constantine O'Neal born 1708 in Ireland

Constantine O'Neal born 1708 in Ireland

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Neal, Hall, Mills, Ogan
Hi,

I am looking for ancestors of Constantine O'NEAL, born 1708 in Ireland. His son, John "Jackie" O'NEAL was born in Ireland abt 1734 and came over to America (lived in Bardstown, Nelson, Kentucky). Jackie had 3 wives, Mrs. O'Neal, Fannie HALL, and Margaret MILLS. I am descended through the second wife, Fannie, and their son James O'NEAL who married Mariah OGAN. Descendents moved from Kentucky, to Ohio, to Iowa, to Nebraska and to Idaho.

If anyone has info I would greatly appreciate it.

Sheila

Re: Constantine O'Neal born 1708 in Ireland

Posted: 5 Jul 2007 6:08PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neal
Hi I'am Mike O'neal if want some answers on John "Jackie" O'Neal I'll try to help you I'am from his 5th wife actually and last Margaret Mills I'am from the margaret mills and John O'Neal side.I have alot of info of course on my side and can tell you alot during his Five marriages.

Posted: 6 Jul 2007 3:11AM GMT
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to see the info you have. I show him having only 3 wives, and Margaret Mills is the 3rd.

Sheila

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neal, Gholson, Brower
I am interested in exchanging info with anyone regarding the ancestors or descendants of Constantine O'Neal. I have quite a bit of info on the family. I descend from the family through his third (and I thought final) wife, Margaret Mills.

As far as Constantine's background, all I have is:

Information from "Meet the O'Neals" a compilation of history of the O'Neal family by Corwin O'Neal, a great-great grandson of Constantine:

Constantine O'Neal, born in Ireland, landed in Norfolk, VA with his wife and three sons, Bryant, John and Charles, in about 1744. Little is known about the O'Neal family in Ireland other than that Constantine had been a soldier in the European wars before coming to America. Constantine and his family (wife's name unknown) lived in Fairfax County Virginia on land which had been granted to them by King George II and undoubtedly were acquainted with one of the most prominent men who lived in that area at that time, George Washington. Whether Constantine died before or after the Revolution is not known. He did die at a fairly young age because his widow married again, to a Mr. Langley, and had at least two other children and she is believed to have lived to be 110 years old. There are records in Fairfax County VA to show that Bryant and Charles O'Neal conveyed their share of 400 acres to their half brother Thomas Langley in 1811. Bryant and Charles apparently had little or no formal education since they both signed with an "X" in the records of transfer of their lands. When Constantine died, the patrimonial estate in Virginia was inherited by Bryant, the eldest son.

In the book "Legends of Loudoun" it says that Conn O'Neale was named a second Lieutenant in March 1781. "Justices of the Countys court recommend to the Governor as to those worthy of commissions in the military forces being raised by the Colon

Posted: 23 Nov 2007 3:11PM GMT
My line is:
John O'Neal (b. 1777, VA; d. ?, probably Hickman Co., KY), father of James Constantine O'Neal (b. abt. 1804, Nelson Co., KY; d. July 1859, Hickman Co., KY), father of Lydia O'Neal (b. 1844; d. 1911, wife of Frank M. Pearson), mother of Hiram Constantine Pearson who was my grandfather.

I believe my John O'Neal's father was also named John O'Neal (both early 19th century residents of Nelson Co., KY before migrating to Hickman Co.) and that John's father was one of Constantine's sons. I am looking for any documentation of this. Can anyone help?

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 2:08AM GMT
Information from "Meet the O'Neals" a compilation of history of the O'Neal family by Corwin O'Neal, a great-great grandson of Constantine:

Constantine O'Neal, born in Ireland, landed in Norfolk, VA with his wife and three sons, Bryant, John and Charles, in about 1744. Little is known about the O'Neal family in Ireland other than that Constantine had been a soldier in the European wars before coming to America. Constantine and his family (wife's name unknown) lived in Fairfax County Virginia on land which had been granted to them by King George II and undoubtedly were acquainted with one of the most prominent men who lived in that area at that time, George Washington. Whether Constantine died before or after the Revolution is not known. He did die at a fairly young age because his widow married again, to a Mr. Langley, and had at least two other children and she is believed to have lived to be 110 years old. There are records in Fairfax County VA to show that Bryant and Charles O'Neal conveyed their share of 400 acres to their half brother Thomas Langley in 1811. Bryant and Charles apparently had little or no formal education since they both signed with an "X" in the records of transfer of their lands. When Constantine died, the patrimonial estate in Virginia was inherited by Bryant, the eldest son.

In the book "Legends of Loudoun" it says that Conn O'Neale was named a second Lieutenant in March 1781. "Justices of the Countys court recommend to the Governor as to those worthy of commissions in the military forces being raised by the Colony.

His son, John "Jackie" O'NEAL was born in Ireland abt 1734 and came over to America (lived in Bardstown, Nelson, Kentucky). Jackie had 3 wives, the name of the first is unknown, Fannie HALL, and Margaret MILLS. I am descended through the third wife,Margaret, and their son Constantine O'NEAL who married Elizabeth Wooley. Jackie died in 1833 shortly before his one hundreth birthday and was buried at his home on Plum Run, Nelson County Kentucky. After Jackie's death,Margaret his widow and her children moved from Nelson County to the land in far western Kentucky.

I have quite a bit of information on the descendants of Constantine and will gladly trade what I have with anyone interested

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 3:00AM GMT
Surnames: Gholson, O'Neal, Brower
John "Jackie" O'Neal was born in Ireland Nov. 11, 1744. He and his third wife, Margaret Mills, had a son named Constantine about 1806. Constantine married Elizabeth Wooley and following the death of Jackie, Constantine and Elizabeth along with many others of the family moved from Nelson Co. to far Western KY. Constantine and Elizabeth had a daughter named Lydia Ann born about 1843. Lydia married Frank Pearson, a brickmason, in Hickman Co., KY Jan. 12, 1860. Frank and Lydia had at least four children with Hiram Constantine being their second, born about 1861. Frank died in 1868 and Lydia later married a Vaughn. Hiram Constantine
Pearson married Rachel Williams in Hickman Co., KY in 1894 and they had at least seven children. The KY census shows Hiram's occupation as shoe repairman. Both he and Rachel are buried in the Oakwood Cemetery near Clinton, KY.

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 2:49PM GMT
Thanks for the response. I think I'm just bogged down with too many O'Neals.

I have the information from James Constantine forward, and I assume (maybe reluctantly given the lack of documentation) the Constantine O'Neal that appears in the 1850 Hickman Co. census and that died in 1859 in Hickman Co. was James C. My question, quandry really, is identifying the John O'Neal (b. abt. 1777, in VA) and Elizabeth (b. abt 1778, in VA) with whom it appears James Constantine's brother Nathan is residing in Ballard Co. at the time of the 1850 census. I guess one could assume, as others have surmised, that it is John's (Blackie's)son. I was curious whether that had been documented by anyone.

When I first started working on this line it appeared to me that given the ages, this John O'Neal was more likely to be James father, but I since learned that the original John was nothing if not prolific despite his advancing years.

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 4:14PM GMT
The John O'Neal (b. abt. 1777) is the son of John "Jackie" O'Neal and his first wife whose name is unknown. This John married Elizabeth Carter in Nelson Co. on Dec. 30, 1809. Nathan (b. Aug. 22, 1815) is the son of John and Elizabeth

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 1:10PM GMT
I just posted on the "Milliken / Little Family tree some information on the constaine O'Neal from PA. His wife literally "buried the hatchet" in his head - he lived for 3 days & died...check it out - pretty bizarre!
Margaret
per page

Find a board about a specific topic