Search for content in message boards

Pennsylvania German (Palatine) DNA Southern European Ethnicity

Pennsylvania German (Palatine) DNA Southern European Ethnicity

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've received my autosomal DNA results and I am totally missing any Central European ethnicity. My great grandmother has Pennsylvania German ancestors on both sides going back to 1710-1740 emigration from Switzerland/Bavaria/Alcase regions.
I am showing 45% British Isles -expected.
45% Scandinavian -25% recent emigration and the rest from Vikings to British Isles?
6% Southern European and 4%Unknown
Where is the Pennsylvania German? The 6% Southern European and 4% Unknown? The Southern European may be Roman British Isles, not the Palatine.
Have others from Southern Germany also come back with Southern European?

Re: Pennsylvania German (Palatine) DNA Southern European Ethnicity

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 4:53PM GMT
My maternal ancestors were from Southern Germany and I have Southern European DNA
And no Central European DNA.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 6:07AM GMT
I have the same thing: my father's line to my great great grandfather is all Swiss or German from the Palatine region. And the Y-DNA haplogroup tested at FTDNA is I1, generally regarded as Scandinavian. And at Ancestry, I have 16% Southern European. And no known Spanish or Italian ancestors. Go figure. Glad to know I am not the only one.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:00PM GMT
If you read the fine print, Ancestry.com says the Goths count as Scandinavian. I suspect the Pennsylvania Dutch have heavy Gothic ancestry. I have 79 percent Scandinavian ancestry, most of which I assume is from my Pennsylvania Dutch and Scottish heritage. I also have Southern European ancestry, but I expect that through my patrilineal descent from Southern France. Note that up to 10 percent of British people have a Huguenot ancestor, and many Huguenots came from southern France.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions