Search for content in message boards

ROSS

Posted: 27 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2003 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: FRIEND ROSS, RHODA ROSS, CHARLES ROSS, FRANKLIN ROSS, NORA CAROLINE ROSS, CORA MARTHA ROSS, MARY CAROLINE ROSS, ALFRED THEODORE ROSS, GEORGE HARRY ROSS
Searching for my ROSS Ancestors: FRIEND ROSS, gggrandfather, in RUTLAND COUNTY, VERMONT, census 1800 & 1810, FRIEND ROSS, gggrandfather, in MILWAUKEE COUNTY, WISCONSIN in 1830. Wed RHODA (CORNISH) ROSS in EAU CLAIRE COUNTY, WISCONSIN in 1837. Two of their sons are: CHARLES ROSS and FRANKLIN ROSS of EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN. FRANKLIN ROSS wed MARY (FLECK) ROSS in EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN. Their children: NORA, CORA, ALFRED and THEODORE.

Anyone with FRIEND as a first name in their ROSS ancestry?

FRIEND ROSS

Posted: 22 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2003 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: Friend Ross, Franklin Edmund Ross, Charles Ephraim Ross, Cora Eliza Ross, George Adelbert Ross, Rhoda Cornish
I am updating my original message re. FRIEND ROSS. Friend Ross wed Rhoda Elizabeth Cornish March 12, 1852 in Algonquin, Mchenry, Illinois. Friend Ross served in the Civil War. His wife, Rhoda Cornish was born May 2, 1834. She wed Richard Jolliett on the same date as she wed Friend which leads me to believe that their families were Quakers. Friend and Rhoda had four children. Charles Ephraim Ross was born December 15, 1861 in Sullivans Corner, Jefferson County, WI. Frank Edmund Ross was born October 16, 1872 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. His brother, George Adelbert Ross was born March 29, 1856 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin and so was his sister, Cora Eliza Ross, who was born January 28, 1867. Anyone else with an ancestor by the name of FRIEND ROSS, please contact me.

Re: FRIEND ROSS

Posted: 15 Aug 2001 2:56PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 3:07PM GMT
Friend Ross was my ggggrandfather. I am descended from his daughter Cora Elizabeth. I do know that Friend and Rhoda had more than four kids: George Adelbert (1856), William John (1859), Charles Ephraim (1861), Frederick Elisha (1864), Cora Elizabeth (1867), Eunice Maria (1870), Emma Louisa (1872) and Frank Edmund (1874). I do know that he served with Co D, 7th WI Inf Reg during the Civil War, he also was a wagonmaker residing on the East side of Third Street in Eau Claire WI in 1884. Other than that I know nothing of his family, however I do have suspiscions that he is related to a Friend Ross who was born 4 Oct 1778 in Vermont and died 10 March 1879 in Eau Claire WI, and had at least three sons living in Eau Claire at the time: John, Elisha and Joel. But I cant prove this yet.

Michelle (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Shullenberg
Do you have any information on Frederick Elisha Ross? He was married to Katherine (maybe Catharine) Shollenburg. I believe they are the parents of Lester Ross, b: 07-08-1905 in Eau Claire, WI, d: 02-12-1934. Lester is my husband's grandfather.

Byron Bostwick (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2001 1:59PM GMT
Michelle, you need to contact Hope Chamberlain who is at the beginning of this string. Shes the expert on this family.

Friend ROSS

Veronique (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: ROSS
"History of Eau Claire County" in WI page 313

FRIEND ROSS:
Died March 10 1879, aged 100 years old, eight months and six days. At the time of his death he was the oldest citizen of Eau Claire. He was born in Vermont during the darkest period of the Revolution. When quite a lad, he went to Canada. In 1849, he came to Wisconsin, locating in Rock County. Having three sons residing Eau Claire - John, Elisha and Joel - he came to reside with them in 1862. He had remarkable good health, seldom being sick. His last illness was brief.

Re: Friend ROSS

Posted: 25 Aug 2002 5:42PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2005 6:21AM GMT
Surnames: Ross, Higgins, Cornish, Sweet, Carson
Hi,

Are you in some way related to Friend Ross?

The article is true as far as it goes. Friend Ross had been living with his son, Friend III, son, George, son, Elisha and Friend III's wife and family in 1860. George, Elisha and Friend, III along with Friend III's wife and family first removed to Wheaton Twp., Chippewa Co., Eau Claire where Friend III enlisted to serve in the Civil War. Later, Friend III and family, his father, George and Elisha removed to Menomonie, Wisconsin. After Elisha's marriage to Angeline Higgins, Elisha moved to Eau Claire and his father came with him. John and Joel Ross were the first to move to Eau Claire where they enlisted and served in the same Company during the Civil War. By 1870, Friend II was residing with Elisha and family. Friend III and family continued residing in Wheaton Twp. until the early 1880's when Friend III started the Weed and Seed Store on Water St. in Eau Claire. He took ill, sold his business and moved back to Wheaton with his wife. He died January, 1891.

After the death of Friend III his wife, Rhoda Cornish Ross moved back to Eau Claire where she lived until her death. Their children, now grown, mostly stayed in Eau Claire with exception of their daughter, Cora Ross who married James Sweet and moved to Barron Co., Wisconsin.

Joel Ross, his wife Mary Carson Ross, infant children and brother, George Ross, are buried at Forest Hill Cemetery, Eau Claire, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. John Ross died in the Great Fire at Hinckley, MN and Elisha died at the home of his son, Eugene Ross in Montana. Elisha had been living with his wife in Washington state until her death.

George Ross was blinded as a young child and is the only brother who didn't serve in the Civil War. He invariably lived with Friend III or one of Friend III's adult children. He died in 1941.

Friend III was my grandmother's grandfather; his youngest son, Frank Edmund Ross was her father.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions