THE GREATHOUSE FAMILY OF BUTLER CO. AND WARREN CO., KY.
Samuel B. Greathouse, Sr., b 1768 in Maryland, came to Clark County, Ky. by 1796 when he married a cousin, Susannah Greathouse, dau of John Greathouse. Susannah was b in 1778 in Va. By 1799 Samuel and Susannah were in Warren Co., Ky. where they lived until their deaths: Samuel in 1851 and Susannah in 1864.
Samuel became a Baptist preacher shortly after the turn of the 19th century, according to The History of Kentucky Baptists, by J. H. Spencer, Volume 2, page 114, History of the Green River Association, which states Samuel became a preacher after becoming alarmed about the safety of his soul because of the following circumstances: At a house-raising, he was carrying up one of the corners of the building, when a fork, with which the man on the ground pushed up the logs, split open and allowed the log to roll back, by which two men were instantly killed. "what would have become of my soul if I had been one of those men?", soliloquized Mr. Greathouse. He was soon afterward baptized and entered into the constitution of the Bays Fork Church, located about eight miles east of Bowling Green, Ky. He was then set apart to the ministry. He was a Baptist minister for many years and performed hundreds of marriages in addition to other activities.
Samuel Greathouse obtained a land grant in Warren County on 28 Aug 1799 consisting of 200 acres of land. It states "Certificate #2021 granted by commissioners in 1798 agreeably to an act for encouraging granting relief to soldiers..... " Samuel is on Warren County tax lists beginning in 1799, along with these Greathouses: John, John Sr., Elizabeth, and Harmon.
Samuel and Susannah Greathouse were the parents of the following children:
1. Susannah Greathouse b 1796?, m 3 Dec 1811 to John Harris in Barren County, Ky.
2. Isaac Greathouse b 1798, m 21 Aug 1829 to Phoebe Satterfield, in Warren Co., d 27 Nov 1764.
3. Josiah L. Greathouse b 21 Sept 1802, m Sarah Jane Marrs, d 18 Dec 1883.
4. Sarah Greathouse b 1804?, m 9 Sept 1818 in Warren Co., to Elisha Whitten.
S. Martha (Patsy) Greathouse b 1808, m 12 Oct 1825 in Warren Co., to Younger Witherspoon, d 1871.
6. Nancy Greathouse b 1809, m 6 Dec 1830 in Warren Co., to Prior P. Lowe.
7. John Greathouse b 1810, m 21 Oct 1836 to Catherine Cagle, m (2) 1868 to Elizabeth McMaslas.
8. Samuel B. Greathouse, Jr. b7l8l2, m 9 Nov 1840 to Mary Arnold, d 2 Aug 1881.
9. Warren Cash Greathouse b 1820?, m Polly Ann Craig.
10. Berryman H. Greathouse b 1818-1820?, m 29 Dec 1857 to Sarah A. Howard.
11. Thomas S. Greathouse.
Josiah L. Greathouse b 1802, m Sarah Jane Marrs in Warren Co., KY. and were the parents of the following children, all b Warren Co.:
1. Thomas B. Greathouse b 1837, m 5 June 1862 to Elizabeth Lowe.
x 2. Elijah Hise Greathouse b 1839, m 30 Oct 1861 to Mary Jane Rector (1845-1902), d 1910 Butler Co.
3. Charles W. Greathouse b 15 Aug 1842, m Elizabeth
4. William B. Greathouse b 23 June 1846, m Sarah Motley, d 22 Oct 1923. (Sarah b 1855, d 1939).
5. Lousia Greathouse, b 4 Feb 1848, m 29 Jan 1868 to John Rector, d 14 June 1934 Forrest, N.M.
6. Julia Ann Greathouse b 1859?, m Charles Williams.
7. Samuel J. Greathouse b 14 June 1855, m Martha
,Josiah was a farmer and lived in Green Hill, Goshen Precinet, Warren Co., Ky., according to the 1870 federal census. Josiah d 18 Dec 1883 and his wife Sarah Jane d 9 Apr 1885; both are buried in Goshen Cemetery. Sarah Jane's ancestry has been traced back to the emigrant, John Marrs from Scotland about 1760 to Va., whose sons Hugh and William are in Logan Co., Ky. in the late 1700's.
Elijah Hise Greathouse, apparently named after a popular Ky. Senator, Elijah Elise, was b jar, 1839 and m Mary Jane Rector on 30 Oct 1861 in Sumner Co., Tenn. Mary Jane is the dau of John J. Rector and his wife Mary; she was b 4 June 1845 in Warren Co., Ky. Her family moved from Anderson Co., Tenn. to Warren County about 1836. The Rector ancestry has been researched back to the 1500's in Germany. The emigrant to Va. in 1714 was John Jacob Rector who was one of the German settlers brought to Va. by Governor Alexander Spottswood to settle the frontier. The other families weisheaded by: Brumback, Kemper, Cuntz (Coons), Fish-back, Hitt (Heide), Hoffman, Holtzclaw, Martin, Spillman, Weaver, Hager (Heager) - they settled on the banks of the Rapidan River in what is now Orange County.
Elijah and Mary Jane Greathouse were the parents of the following children:
l.Robert Ambrose Greathouse, b 13 Nov 1862, m 7 May 1684 to to Nancy Hudson, d 31 Mar 1905.
x 2. Lafayette S. Greathouse, b 23 Mar '@866, m 23 May 1886
in Butler Co. to Belle Elamon, d 1919.
3. P. R. Greathouse (Male), b 1869.
4. Alice Greathouse, b 26 Mar 1857, m 7 May 1884 '@-0 Green-bury Johnson, d 2 Apr 1905.
5. Dolly Greathouse, b 15 Aug 1872, d 30 June 1903.
6. Frances M. Greathouse b 6 Nov 1874, re John Louie, d in New Mexico.
7. Franklin Greathouse b 6 Nov 1874 (twin), m Martha Thompson, d 9 Sept 1952.
8. James Greathouse b i-in 1880, m Sallie Goad, d 28 Jan 1941.
9. Ella Greathouse -@ 2 Mar 1884, m 22 June 1902 to Archer Mayhugh, d 7 Feb 1966.
Elijah is listed on 1870 Warren Co. federal census with his family and apparently moved to Butler County before 1880 when he appears on the federal census living in Mining City. 1900 census shows Elijah and his family including Dolly, Frank, James and Ellie.
Mary Jane (Rector) Greathouse d 8 A r 1902 and is buried.in the Old Bethel Church Cemetery, South Hill, Ky., as is Elijah who d in 1910.
Lafayette (called Lafe) S. Grethouse was b 3 Mar 1866 in Warren CO., Ky. and m in Butler Co. on 23 May 1886 to Eliza Belle Elamon who was b 2 June 1867 in Logan Co., dau of James Marshall Elamon and his wife Martha Catherine ( called Kitty) Horn (or Haun) who m in 1853 in Butler Co. Kitty Elamon's parents are Christopher and Elizabeth Horn (or Haun); Christopher was b 1815 in Tenn., (Greene Co.?) and Elizabeth was b 1816 in Tenn. They are in Butler Co. tax lists from 1849 to 1855, after which time the family left Butler Co. to a destination unknown to this writer. James Elamon was b 1826 in Georgia and d about 1890 in Logan Co.
Lafe and Belle Greathouse were the parents of the following children, all b in Butler Co.:
1. Joseph Millard Greathouse b Apr 1887, m Josephine Kirby
19 July 1909, dau of James M. Kirby and his wife Mary Summerville who m 15 June 1868 in Butler Co.
x 2. Samuel Jefferson Greathouse b 17 Feb 1889, m 23 Sept 1911
to Belle Flewallen, dau of John G. Flewallen (1856-1896) and his wife Letitia Arm Hoops (1855-1941) who m 12 Dec
1878 in Butler Co. Letitia was the dau of James Thomas Hoops (1829-1896) and his wife Mary Alycon Brown (1834-1862?) who m 2 Sept 1852 in Ohio Co., Ky. The Hoops family is a Quaker family descended from Joshua Hoops, an English emigrant to Penn. by 1685; Joshua and his family lived in Bucks Co., Penn. The Brown family has been traced back to Samuel Brown who was in Augusta Co., Va. in early 1700's and died there 1749.
3. Herschel Greathouse b Apr 1890, m 20 June 1915 to Annie Liza Sorrells, dau of Sam Sorrells (1872-1960) and his wife Susan (Bradley) (1867-1960); Herschel d 1974.
4. John Greathouse b &an 1893, d 1909 at age 16; never m.
5. Herbert Greathouse b 20 July 1896, m (1) Leonore Johnson,
m (2) Ethel Evans, d 23 June 1979, Owensboro, Ky.
6. Archibald Greathouse b ., m Vernice McKinney, lives in Chattanooga, Tenn.
7. Eunice Lila Greathouse b Oct 1898, m Jess Daggett, lives in Browder, Ky.
8. Hallie Greathouse, m Floyd Hope, d 1977?, Henderson, Ky.
9. Hattie Greathouse, m Fred Gardner, lives in Stanley, Ky.
10. Peter Clifford Greathouse, m Annie Bell Markiel, lives in Sacramento, Ky. (Annie b 1909, d 1974)
Lafe Greathouse and his family lived in South Hill, Ky. Lafe d 13 Mar 1919 and is buried at Old Bethel Church Cemetery, South Hill, as is his wife Belle, who d 3 Mar 1959 at the home of her dau, Eunice.
Samuel Jefferson Greathouse b 1889, m 1911 to Hallie Belle Flewallen in Morgantown, Ky. They were the parents of the following children:
1. John Grattan Greathouse, b 19 June 1912, m ea 1937 to Mary Vinson, d 1956, San Francisco, Calif.
2. Charles Shelby Greathouse b 6 Sept 1914, m 1942 to Thelma Butler, lives in Fremont, Calif.
3. Thelma Corine Greathouse b 28 May 1917, m ca 1942 to Herbert Walters, lives in Biloxi, Miss.
4. Roy Edward Greathouse, b 21 May 1922, m (1) Reba Roberts,
(2) Frances Simpson, lives in Santa Rosa, Calif.
5. Anna Louise Greathouse, b 6 ikn 1926, m 1943 to Clyde Otterbeck, lives in Rialto, Calif.
6. Robert Howard Greathouse b 6 Apr 1929, d in infancy.
7. James Oscar Greathouse, b 28 May 1933, d in infancy.
x 8. Robert Howard Greathouse b 1 July 1935, m 1954 to Mary Laubner, lives in El Cerrito, Calif.
Sam Greathouse d 14 Sept 1968 in San Francisco, Calif. His wife Hallie (Fluwallen) b 1 July 1894 in Provo, Ky., d 20 June 1964 in San Francisco. Both are buried at Olivet Cemetery, Colma, Calif. They are my husband's parents.
Submitted by Mrs. Mary Greathouse, 1184 Richmond Street. El Cerrito, CA 94530.