Search for content in message boards

The Diehls of Philadelphia

The Diehls of Philadelphia

Misty (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: diehl
I have papers on the Diehl's of Philadelphia from "The Warren S. and Josephine I. Ely Memorial Collection" of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania. They start out to say:

"The German family of Diehl, of which the Diehl family of Philadelphia and vicinity is a branch, is of record on the heraldric tables at Vienna amongst the nobility of Augsburg, in which locality they had their residence for many generations. The rank of the family as nobility is very ancient; the first known ancestor being one Julius who about A.D. 500 offered his services to Hlofwig or Clevis, King of the Franks, and attained such distinction in that monarch's wars against the remnant of the Roman power, as well as against the other Teutonic nations which at that time divided Gaul......."These papers go on to describe the family crests over the generations, leading up to them arriving in America.
Nicholas Diehl was the one to come to America. He arrived in Philadelphia at about 20 years of age in 1761, in the Snow Squirrel, from Rotterdam, via Portsmouth, England. My papers go on to list his descendants. Anyone interested in this line "The Philadelphia Diehls", just e-mail me. My papers are 9 pages long (typed on legal paper).

Misty

Re: Diehl

D. Peters (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 10:45AM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2004 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: diehl, knipple
Misty,

I am interested in the Diehl family, especially any connection to a Harriet Diehl who married George Knipple. George is my grandfathers older brother. I would glady share the little information I have on the children of George and Harriet and the information on the families associated with grand dad's family.
David

Re: Diehls of Philadelphia

Posted: 26 Jul 2003 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Diehl, Vosselmann
I've been trying to find out the name of Archie G Diehl's father, I find him in the1930 cencus, Listing his mother as Cinderella living with he and his children, I bought the Diehl Book but only list most of the people from around Bedford etc. What I'm looking for people around Phila. Pa. Both Archie and his wife, Ida Vosselmann, Are buried in Ivy Hill Cem.I've checked there and they have no info. on either one. Thank you June V Diehl

Re: Archie Diehl

Misty (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2003 6:10PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2004 6:33PM GMT
I dont have an Archie in my paperwork...My Diehl paperwork only goes to deaths in 1894..sorry

Re: The Diehls of Philadelphia

Posted: 18 Apr 2004 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: pirrmann, diehl
I am wondering if this family is connected to my own search.

My maiden name is Pirrmann. My grandfather, Daniel Phillip Pirrmann was raised by his grandfather Philip and his second wife in Brooklyn and later Queens, NY. His parents Daniel and Mary (?) died when he was very young

MY gggrandfather Phillip had two brothers and two sisters. His two sisters, Dora (Dorothea) and Carrie (Carolina) married two Diehl brothers from Philadelphia named Christian and Edward. One family had two boys Edward and Frank. Edward married Ellen and had 6 children and more than 32 grandchildren. Frank married a woman from Collingsworth NJ or they lived there. They had two daughters.

The second family had a daughter Dorothea.

This may all be a bit off since my grandparents divorced before I was born and my grandfather married another woman and out of respect for her, we had little to do with my grandfather. I did attend his funeral when I was in jr hs. All of this was related to me after he died but by then, there was no one left to ask about history.

Do you know of any connection?

Thank you.

Posted: 2 May 2004 12:25AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:54PM GMT
Does your lineage include a Christian or Edward Diehl? My GGGgrandfather's two sisters married two Diehl brothers from Philadelphia. I am trying to research my family and hoping maybe a Diehl related grandchild may know something about my relatives who came to New York (Brooklyn) about 1850.

Posted: 7 Jul 2004 5:33PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:54PM GMT
Surnames: diehl, boehm
I am interested in the typed pages you have on the Diehl history - I am only able to tie the Diehls into the Boehms in the early 1800s and am unable to find parent information on John Diehl who married Elizabeth Boehm.

Posted: 15 Sep 2004 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2006 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: whelan
my great-great granfather was from Germany and came to philly.there he married catherine whelan an english woman and there he worked for sun oil. his son albert james is my great grandfather and he moved out of philly. is there any connection.

Posted: 27 Dec 2004 7:23AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Doris, Von Zander, Pirrmann
Mary Santoro, your search and mine may be related. My mother's mother , Anna Doris, died around 1917 of tuberculosis when my mother was three years old. The only memories my mother had were:
Her mother's maiden name was Von Zander.
My grandfather took her to visit her grandmother (who spoke only German) until he remarried in 1923.
Her mother had a sister, Mary Pirrmann, who had a son, Danny that was a few years older than she.
Mary also died of tuberculosis (date unknown).
There was never a mention of Mary's husband.
I have recently found out that my grandmother is probably buried at Lutheran Cemetary in Woodhaven NY. I hope to be able to follow that up.

thank you

mpsantoro (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2004 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2005 6:52PM GMT
Thanks for your message....I plan to return to my seach after the new year...maybe you could keep me posted too...does sound promising as a connection but not sure it'll help me move backward!

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions