Search for content in message boards

Researching the Rees family of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, Wales

Researching the Rees family of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, Wales

Posted: 28 May 2010 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rees
Trying to trace the ancestors of Morgan Rees 1803 - 1873 of this parish. Have traced his father as Thomas Rees 1776-1848 who married Barbara Haines 1771 - ???. The Rees family were tenant farmers in this area but cannot find links to previous generations.

Any help welcomed

Re: Researching the Rees family of Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, Wales

Posted: 8 Nov 2010 1:16AM GMT
...maybe you could try posting on the Glamorgan,
WALES message board:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.wales.gla/mb...

...I am sure you would get a better response there. You
should also try contacting the RAOGK Volunteer for the
same area:

http://www.raogk.org/wales.htm

Good Luck,

☺☺☻☺☺

Posted: 10 Nov 2010 5:52PM GMT
Thanks for your suggestions - have done both!

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 2:23PM GMT
Hi Tudor I have an Elizabeth Ann Rees born abt 1891 in Glamorgan she married (William) John Elias in 1917 , the marriage was reg in Bridend, Glamorgan.....John came from the parish of Llanwonno, Ynysbwl.I have a few different Rees's joining into my Elias branch. Can you make a connection?

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 3:01PM GMT
Hello

Thanks for the message - unfortunately not sure that I will be able to assist. The one thing I have learned about the Rees family of Llangyfelach is that there are a lot of Rees' in the Glamorgan area!! Have checked the info. I have gleaned so far and cant make a connection with Elizabeth Ann Rees or John Elias on our side of the family.

However, if you think it would help - I am happy to let you view the family tree I have constructed so far - for you to check any other connections. Let me know and I'll set this up.

Good luck in tracking down your ancestors....

Regards
Tudor

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 4:12PM GMT
Hi Tudor, Many thanks for your kind offer much appreciated..Know what you mean regarding the number of Rees family members, am having trouble on that score myself!Popular name in Wales! I did notice when checking out Freecen and freereg that there were loads recorded in the area that you a re seeking, including your "namesake". Don't know if you are familiar with these records? If not or you don't have access please let me know and will be happy to send.Have found some records on LDS/FamilySearch too.Good Luck too

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 4:19PM GMT
PS Just viewed your profile and realised you must have access because your in Yorkshire! How Spooky I am a Yorkshire Lass too, my paternal Grandmother went from Wales to Yorkshire!It was to her brother that Elzabeth Ann Rees Married. Many others too along the way but they all started off in Cardigan/Carmarthen at least those that I have traced.Will check out the exact location of Llangfelach in regards to Glmaorgan. All later records seem to be recorded on POntypridd.

Posted: 21 May 2011 9:07PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Rees family of Llangyfelach
My Rees family that came out to Vic, Australia aboard 'Mooresfoot' in 1854. I have the marriage certificate for Evan Rees 25y Collier -father's name Morgan Rees (labourer) (deceased in 1850). The 1851 census for Wales has a listing for Evan and his new wife Elizabeth, which lists Evan as being born in Llangefelach, Glamorgan. There were other Rees on the boat but I have not linked any of them yet. William Rees b1824, Morgan E Rees b1828, Edward Rees b1829, Margaret Rees b1829, and my Evan b1826 and his wife Elizabeth b1830. Do you have an Ancestry membership? Is your family tree online? Was there a lot of Rees in Llangefelach? They were married in the Carmel Chapel. Hope this helps. Regards Karen

Posted: 22 May 2011 10:57AM GMT
Hi Karen

Thanks or getting in touch and describing your researches into the Rees family. The first thing to say is - certainly from my researches - there are a large number of Rees's in Llangyfelach. This is not helpful and creates - as I'm sure you have experienced - a deal of confusion.

Unfortunately, I do not recognise the names of the relatives you have discovered - but of course they may be related way way back. I have not really got back any further than 1700 or so with confidence. One of my relatives - Morgan Rees (1720 - 1808) - was the founding member of the Salem chapel in 1777 and later the family had connections with Baran chapel. Morgan was the brother of my 5th great grandfather Thomas Rees (1722 - 1809).

I have an ancestry membership - but I keep the tree private. However, as a fellow member of the "clan" I will send you an invitation to view my tree as a "guest" - can you send me your email address?

Let me know if there is anything in my tree that helps in your research

All the best
Tudor Rees

Posted: 22 May 2011 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Rees, Thomas
Thanks Tudor,

Your Morgan died in 1808, and my Evan was born around 1826 so it was probably a long shot. Being way down here in Australia I have no idea where the towns are in Wales. My Evan says he was born in Aberdare, but I recently watched a WDYTYA? show and it was set in Llangyfelach, then I saw you were researching the same name and I thought it might be worth a try. I would imagine from the UK perspective ancestors that migrated to Australia would look like they dropped off the face of the earth. Down here we at least know that if we can't find them in Oz then there is a very good chance they migrated from the UK.
Anyway, would love to see your tree, although I am not expecting to make a link. My email is hartleykk@optusnet.com.au
Thanks again. Good luck with your research. Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions