Search for content in message boards

JOHNSON LEDBETTER

JOHNSON LEDBETTER

Clifton Blackwell (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ledbetter, Blackwell
In the 1860 Dawson County, Georgia federal census, a ROBERT BLACKWELL (48 years old NC) was living with JOHNSON LEDBETTER.
Who were the parents of that ROBERT BLACKWELL?

BLACKWELL/LEDBETTER

clifton Blackwell (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Barbara,
Although there are similarities between THOMAS BLACKWELL and NICY LEDBETTER with whom JANE LEDBETTER was living in their household at the time of the 1850 Cherokee County federal census and JOEL BLACKWELL'S son WILLIAM. I believe we are talking about two different families.
The THOMAS BLACKWELL (b. 1831 NC) who was the son of JOEL BLACKWELL and DEMARIUS MUSICK married NICY (NANCY HEATH)who was born 1832 GA, just as was your NICEY LEDBETTER was born in 1832 in Georgia.
Here is the way JOEL and DEMARIUS' son WILLIAM is shown in the 1860 Pickens County, GA federal census:

Blackwell, William 39 Blacksmith NC (b. 1821)

Nartha (Carver) 30 NC (b. 1830)

Martha L. 13 GA (b. 1847)

James A. 10 GA (b. 1850)

William D. 8 GA (b. 1852)

Malissa E.10 GA (b. 1850)

Jasper 1 GA B. 1860 Twin)

(John) Newton 1 GA (b. 1860 Twin)

Note: This JOHN NEWTON BLACKWELL eventually married WINNIE COWART on November 14, 1884 in Pickens County, Georgia.

Here is the way the family of JOEL and DEMARIUS' son THOMAS BLACKWELL is shown in that same 1860 Pickens County, Georgia federal census:

BLACKWELL, THOMAS 29 Blacksmith NC (b. 1831)

NICEY (NANCY HEATH) 28 GA (b. 1832)

Benton 8 GA (b. 1852)

Marcus 7 GA (b. 1853)

SARAH E. 4 GA (b. 1856

Could that NICEY'S maiden name have been a HEATH who married a LEDBETTER or a LEDBETTER who previously married a HEATH and possibly be one and the same person?
I have not found a link to JOHNSON LEDBETTER and ROBERT BLACKWELL in Dawson County, Georgia.
I guess you know that DEMARIUS MUSICK'S husband JOEL BLACKWELL was the son of JAMES BLACKWELL and SARAH ELIZABETH "SANDY" PRICE.
Does any of this look like it might contain a clue as to your MARTHA JANE LEDBETTER? I don't have anything on her but if I come across anything I will pass it along to you.

Blackwell/Ledbetter Connection

Posted: 20 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2005 9:13PM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell, Ledbetter, Sams
I have another question on a Ledbetter/Blackwell connection.
In the 1850 Cherokee County Census Jane Ledbetter, age 19, lived with Thomas and Nice Blackwell. Thomas Blackwell and Nice or Nicey Ledbetter were married in Cherokee County, Georgia on May 31, 1849. I believe this Thomas Blackwell was a son of Joel Blackwell. I am not sure how this fits with your Ledbetter/Blackwell search. The reason I have been searching for information on the Ledbetters is that my great, great grandmother was Martha Jane Ledbetter who married John Irwin Sams on May 5, 1853 in Cherokee County, Georgia. The birth date for Jane Ledbetter who was living with Thomas & Nicey Blackwell in 1850 matches the birth year for my great, great grandmother, and I believe this to be her. Thomas & Nicey Blaclwell are buried at Yellow Creek Baptist Church in Pickens County, Georgia. I do now know how Thomas would fit into the individuals you are researching, but if you find any information that would help in my search for Martha Jane Ledbetter I would appreciate hearing from you. If I find anything on your individuals I will certainly get back with you. If you are in the North Georgia area you know that Cherokee, Pickens, and Dawson Counties adjoin each other.

Mrs. Barbara (Sams) Lewis

Re: BLACKWELL/LEDBETTER

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 2:16AM GMT
The Thomas Blackwell who married Nicey Ledbetter was born July 8, 1826. He is buried at Yellow Creek Baptist Church in Pickens Co., Ga. He married Nicey Ledbetter on May 31, 1849 in Cherokee Co., Ga (Book B p.17).

They had children:
Benton
Demarcus
Sarah Elizabeth m. John H. Biddy
Joseph E.
George W.
William Rufus
Martha m. ? Dobson
Selnar

The Thomas Blackwell who married Nancy Heath was born abt 1848. Nancy was born May 11, 1847 according to her daughter (Nancy) on her application #36171 for a Cherokee claim. She names her grandfather as William Heath and her grandmother as Icey Darby, daughter of Charles and Nancy Biddy Darby.

She names her siblings, children of Thomas L. & Nancy A. Heath Blackwell as:
Laura Mealer
Mary Blackstock
Ema Blackwell
Victory Sea
Alice Neighbors
Wesley Blackwell
Frances Blackwell
Coney (Connie) Jarrett
Mattie Blackwell

She also names the children of William and Icey Darby Heath.

In 1900 Pickens Co., GA Lewis (Thomas L.) Blackwell and wife, Nancy, have these children:
Nannie
Emmer
Alice
Frances
Connie
Mattie
Lewis' mother apparently remarried, she is in the household with the name of Rebecca Sims.

Hopefully, this is the Nancy Heath referred to. If so, the ages of Nicey Ledbetter and Nancy Heath are twenty years apart.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic