Search for content in message boards

Bienville documents

Bienville papers

Posted: 27 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2003 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Bienville
The original documents of the Louisiana colony are contained in several collections of Ministry of Marine archives, some of which are available in the United States. Unless you read 18th century French handwriting, they are difficult to use. A large number of them were translated into English and published as the Mississippi Provincial Archives, French Dominion (Volumes I-III) by Dunbar Rowland & Albert Godfrey Sanders during the 1930's. Volumes IV & V of the series were edited by Patricia Galloway and were published recently by the Louisiana State Univ. Press. You can find the MPA set in most good research libraries, or you can order the books from LSU Press. Vol. III contains materials directly related to Bienville, while the others are more concerned with offcial colonial business and Indian affairs.

I have the entire set and will do lookups if the requests do get out of hand.

Bienville documents

Posted: 27 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: MICHEL Jean Gaspard
Could someone give me a clue as to where I could find documents when Bienville was Governor in Louisiana. In particular I am looking for documents where he gave land grants during the time he was governor of the Louisiana territory.

Re: Bienville papers

Misty Chavis (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2004 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: Payan/Payen - Chavois
Looking for a will - all I can tell you is that " deNoyan who was Bienvilles nephew - de Noyans son was executed by O'Reilly for revolting against Spanish Rule. Payen de Noyan a nephew was mentioned in Bienvilles Will " I'm tracing down the name or Pierre Jacques Payan/Payen, Sieur de Noyan and his son Sieur de Chavois/Chavoy

ANy quidance that you might be able to lend sure would be appreciated

Thank You
Misty

Pierre Payen de Noyan

Morris Simon (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2004 4:54AM GMT
Surnames: Payen de Noyan, Lemoine, Bienville
Misty,

Pierre Payen de Noyan was Bienville's brother-in-law, married to his sister Catherine-Jeanne. He served with the Lemoine brothers in Canada before coming to Louisiana, and served as an attorney as well as a military officer. Bienville assigned him the task of building the fort at what is now Memphis, Tennessee. Here is a brief description of his background before coming to Louisiana (in French). Note that he was born in Normandie, France and his parents were Pierre [senior] and Helene Vivien.

I will keep my eyes open for a will and other details.

Morris

Catherine-Jeanne
n Longueuil b 15-11-1673 Montréal
m 08-12-1694 Québec (ct 07-12-1694 Chambalon)
Pierre Payen de Noyan (Pierre & Hélène Vivien)
lieutenant 17-03-1687 Canada, capitaine réformé 10-07-1690, garde-marine 01-07-1694, capitaine 01-03-1693, enseigne de vaisseau 18-05-1701; passé en Louisiane après 1695
b 07-10-1663 Notre-Dame-des-Champs d'Avranches, Normandie, France
d 15-10-1706 (aux Antilles ou en Louisiane)

Re: Pierre Payen de Noyan

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Payen de Noyan Dubreuil Lemoyne Le Moyne Villars Paien denoyan
Pierre and Catherine Jeanne Payen de Noyan have a daughter, Marie Anne Paien de Noyan, who marries Calude Joseph Dubreuil. Do you have anything on this couple? I have a copy of her succession but truly need more info on Claude Joseph's birth place. Thanks for any assistance you might offer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions