Search for content in message boards

Indian Clouds of Tennessee/Texas

Indian Clouds of Tennessee/Texas

Posted: 21 Nov 2000 7:16PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 5:23PM GMT
I guess I am searching for a miracle. My Cloud line was professionally traced back to Wiltshire, England, but my family absolutely insists that this is an error. My grandfather knew some of the Clouds, and knew them to be Indian. Since he passed away in 1971, I can't ask him what he knows. However, all of his children remember him talking about the Cloud family and how they were Indians. The family has pressed upon me the honor of disproving the professional genealogist. Here is the line as far as I have got:

Joseph F. Cloud b 1803 in Tenn, m Nancy Evans? abt 1823

They had 9 children:

Frank b 1828 in Ala
John b 1829 in Tenn
Mary J. b 1832 in Tenn
Emeline b 1834 in Tenn
Eliza b 1836 in Tenn
Sarah b 1838 in Tenn
Jeremiah b 1839 in Tenn
Jacob b 1840 in Tenn
Lucy b 1845 in Miss

John CLoud b 1829 in Tenn m Mariah Hudson in 1852 in Hopkins County, Texas

They had 4 children:

Lucinda J. b 1853 in Tex
Nancy b 1855 in Tex
Frank b 1857 in Tex
Green b 1859 in Tex

Lucinda (Lucy) b 1853 in Tex m Jackson Kelley (Kelly)

They had 4 children:

George Kelley
Emma Kelley (Eckhart)
Della Olivia Kelley (Graham)b 1872
FLora Kelley (Reitzer)

Della Olivia Kelley m Allen Graham

They had 3 children:

CLaude Murray Graham b 1890 in Tex
John Graham b 1892 in Tex
Archie Jackson Graham b 1897 in Tex

Claude Murray Graham m Mildred Hicks b 1898 in Tex

They had 4 children, all of whom are still living.

Claude was my grandfather who died in 1971 and knew the Indian CLouds.

I can find NOTHING on any Clouds of Indian ancestry that could tie in with this line. I am up against a brick wall with this one, and don't know where to go next.

If ANYONE has ANY information about this line, or any hints about how to proceed from here, please feel free to guide me - I am in desperate need of help.

Janet Graham Theberge

Clouds of Tenn and TX

Glyn Perkins (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2000 8:32PM GMT
Look for info at genweb.net/~cloud/
scroll down to bevans #2 (Mr. Bruce Evans)
has info on a John Cloud, married to
Elizabeth Lacy, a cherokee lady from the Tenn
area. Not sure if this is the family you are looking for. But, it is full of great info.

Re: Indian Clouds of Tennessee/Texas

Posted: 9 Jan 2002 11:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CLOUD, RICHARDSON, FITZHUGH
My family descended from a Cloud who was Cherokee Indian. Not only did my grandmother's & father's features reflect this Cherokee Indian heritage, I have seen a picture of one of my Cherokee ancestors (my cousin has this picture).

Here is my line in case it helps:

JOHN J. CLOUD married MARY JANE FITZHUGH (b. 22 July 1847 - d. unknown, but buried in Fitzhugh Cemetary, Dyer, TN).

Daughter of John J. Cloud x Mary Jane Fitzhugh:
SARAH MELINDA CLOUD (b. May 1867, Hot Springs, AR - d. 1902, Texas).

Sarah Melinda Cloud married Steven Mathias "Matthew" Richardson on 10 Mar 1885 in Athens, Henderson Co, Texas.

Marsha Sneed Folks <sunsiray@westriv.com>
My email address is good until June, 2003.

Posted: 27 Aug 2002 4:15AM GMT
I don't know if this will help at all, and I may be too late in answering. I too am searching a Cloud line from Tennessee, my grandfather was a Cloud and I have always been told that he was of Sioux Indian heritage, but I was told that he had Cherokee ancestors too. I don't know which side of his family was from which tribe, and I have not been able to document this yet, but it may be worth a try for you to search Sioux records. By the way, if you find any documentation linking your line to Indian heritage please let me know. I don't know if our Cloud lines are related, but any bit of possible info. will help me as it is getting tougher to trace this line the further back that I go. Thank you!

Posted: 28 Aug 2002 2:15AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2002 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Graham, Hicks, Kelley, Cloud, Anderwald, Moody
I have never heard any reference to Sioux heritage. Maybe that's been my mistake. I'll take your advice and search the other tribes; maybe I'll find something. Thanks for the advice, and if I SHOULD find anything, I will get back to you. Conversely, if YOU find anything, please let ME know. Maybe a joint effort will make this go a bit easier. I know my Cloud line has been at a virtual standstill for about 15 years.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic