Search for content in message boards

Need help solving mystery

Need help solving mystery

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hall, Hans, Gainer, Beebe, Cantrell
I have a problem of which maybe only an old timer can help me with. My problem:
My great-great grandmother died in and around this area possibly. I have an obit found in family bile that states: (paper unknown)
Mrs. Ann Hall Died, Oct. 27, '94 (1894), aged 78 years, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. David Hans, near Quintens Corners. She leaves four daughters to mourn her loss: Mrs. David Hans, of Quintens Corners; Mrs. Ed. Gainer, of Lake Zurich; Mrs. Rayme Beebe, of Michigan ; Mrs Wm. Cantrel [Cantrall], of California . Many friends and relatives attended the funeral services which were held Tuesday Oct. 30, at the house. The remains were laid to rest in Staples Corners cemetery.
Problem
Illinois Genweb states Quintens Corners is in Lake county, Lake county clerk states it's in Cook. I mailed them the money to purchase a copy of the death record, no one can find it. Also I am unable to locate this Staples Corners cemetery. Anyone have any good info about Quintens Corners and the Staples Corners cemetery?

Re: Need help solving mystery

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 2:14AM GMT
I'm by no means an old-timer or an expert, but when I Googled staples corner cemetery, I was shown a link to a page referencing that name. The page was removed, but the Google cache said: "Sutherland Cemetery was a pioneer cemetery established on the farm of Silas and Lucinda Sutherland. Silas Sutherland, son of Silas Sutherland and Dolly Mason, came to Palatine Township in 1837 and settled in Deer Grove. He was just one of many members of the large Sutherland family to settle here. Silas died during the Civil War in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain in 1864, and he is buried in Marietta National Cemetery in Georgia. The Sutherlands deeded the land to Cook County on June 10, 1863. It served as a burial ground for early Palatine Township settlers at the east end of Deer Grove in the Staples Corners area (Rand and Dundee Roads). The earliest known burial was in 1841, the latest in 1957. The Sayles family once lived across from the cemetery and therefore it has erroneously been called Sayles Cemetery on occasion. It also has been referred to as the Staples Cemetery, because of its proximity to the Rand, Dundee area, which was known as Staples Corners." There's also a Flickr page for it (as Sutherland Cemetery). It appears to be between Rand and OLD Hicks Road (which is east of Rand, but doesn't cross it, as the "new" Hicks Road appears to).

When I Googled quintens corners, "Quentin Corners" in Lake County is the first hit, BUT the 4th link down references a "Quentin Corners neighborhood in Palatine, Illinois". The neighborhood shown is NW of the intersection of Rand and Dundee. It is north of Lake Cook Road, so would be just inside Lake County. The first hit lists "Quintens Corners" as an alternate unofficial name. So you're in the right area. Maybe there was no death certificate issued at the time. Find A Grave has a marker for an Ann Hall, born 1813, died 1890. That would be the right age, could the year you have be wrong? Of course, the name's not that uncommon, so this could be a different person. Hopefully some of this might help you out. Good luck--Christine

Posted: 21 Aug 2010 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Gainer, Beebe, Fisher, Bennett, Boynton, Loomis
Hello cousin!
I am related to you through GGGGrandmother Anne's daughter Eliza Hall Gainer.
So, you have supplied a piece of the puzzle that I did not have before. I have not known of this obit previously. I would love to have a scan of it, if possible.
Anyway, Ann Hall is listed in the cemetery known by various names including Sutherland Cemetery/Bennett Cemetery/Sayles/Staples Corners Cemetery. Its located at
Old Hicks Road and Aster Avenue, east of Rand Road (Route 12), behind Menard's near Knupper's, Palatine. Palatine Township, Cook County, Illinois. Maintained by Palatine Township, (847)358-6700. This is just south of the Lake County border, so people are buried there from both counties.
The listing you can find through the Barrington Area Library website under local info, local history, Barrington Area Cemeteries...then look for Sutherland. They have Staples mispelled as Stafles.
Previous to your locating this obit, the Beebe family had claimed that Ann(e) was buried in the Beebe cemetery in Michigan, so although there was an Ann Hall listed in
Staples Corners, the name is common. Also, there is the issue of the date. Cemetery records say 1890. But, you know how that goes.
There are also Gainer, Fisher, Bennett, Boynton relative buried there.
Now that I know she's there, I'm going to go out to look at it myself and see what I can see.
I would love to exchange any information with you and you can contact me directly at LoomisNancyAnn@aol.com.
Thanks so much for sharing this!

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 9:23PM GMT
I live right down the street from quiten corner in palatine give me names and i will take pics of the grave sites

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Morrison, Gainer, Hans
That would be wonderful, names are Ann Hall, Eliza or Edward Gainer, Fanny or David Hans.
Thank you

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
Surnames: Beebe, Morrison, Hall, Gainer, Hans
Nancy,
I am so sorry I just found your post. I don't know why it wasn't posted to my email to let me know someone responded but it wasn't. Today there was a message because someone else responded and I was surprised to see to older posts I didn't know anything about. I am not the one who came across this information it was another person. Her name is Julie and she came across it in an old Bible. I would love to exchange info with you too. I hope your still interested.
I descend through Jane's daughter Lilly that lived with Anna and Mathew Hall in Canada. Lilly was my great-grandfather's mother.
Vicki

Re: Ann Morrison Hall

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 11:41AM GMT
Hello Cousin! So glad you found this. Yes, I would love to exchange information with you. First, I would love to have a copy or scan of that record you have from a bible? You can email me directly at loomisnancyann@aol.com. I descend as follows:
Ann Morrison and Matthew Hall
Eliza Ann Hall and Edward Gainer
Marian Gainer and Frank Loomis
Roy Loomis and Josephine Catlow
Spencer Loomis and Amy Wooldridge
Nancy Loomis Schroeder (me)
I look forward to hearing from you!
Okay, I see Lilly in the information I have, she married Charles Milton Beebe, but that's all I have.
Cheers,
Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic