Search for content in message boards

William Albert (Robison) STEPHENS/STEVENS

William Albert (Robison) STEPHENS/STEVENS

Posted: 23 Jun 2005 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STEPHENS/STEVENS, ROBISON, HOBSON
I am looking for any information on William Albert "Whit" STEPHENS/STEVENS. Born 12 Mar 1875, married Eva Alice "Effie" HOBSON 3 June 1899, died 8 Dec 1938 in Mooresville, Morgan Co., Indiana. Children were Howard, Raymond, Mary, William, Velma, Janet "Jennie", Frank, Hazel, Charles "Chalk", Richard and Wanda. Family legend says that William was born a ROBISON, possibly from Coffeeville, KS with a half brother by the name of Jesse but was later raised by the STEPHENS/STEVENS family. We do not know why or the circumstances behind this. The last name of STEPHENS has been spelled many ways in all the information we have found. STEPHENS, STEVENS, STEPHEN and STEVEN. We are trying to located the names of the parents of William, both the birth parents and those he was raised by, as well as the parents of Eva. Any information anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Re: William Albert (Robison) STEPHENS/STEVENS

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 11:45AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jul 2005 7:16PM GMT
This is the first of a series of replies to the above post:

Hi...so far I found a Family Group Record at the LDS website giving the parents of your Eva Alice Hobson as Nerius Hobson and Asenath D. Alberson /Albertson...MOrgan Indiana...Oct 5, 1882. That site also shows William A . Stephens as born about 1878 instead of 1875. I'm sure that approx dates were taken from some census readings by whoever put up the info.

If I find anything else...will let you know. Not related..just helping.

Julie Bissell Tupker

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 11:46AM GMT
Reply #2

It appears from the LDS website...you can get tons of info on your Hobson family...both sides of it research way back generations into N. Carolina.

Of particular research interest is that the Hobsons once in Indiana...were in Morgan Co and appear to be buried (at least some listed) in West Union Cemetery in Monrovia, Morgan Co, Indiana.

Go to Familysearch.com and type in Nerius Hobson into the search engine and all kinds of things will come up for you.

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 11:49AM GMT
Reply #3

I see by the 1910 census that Whit and wife had his brother, Jessie O Stephens age 15 born Indiana with parents both born in Indiana in his household. BUT..he also had his MOTHER...Jennie C Stephens age 77 born Scotland with parents born Ireland and Scotland also in the household. It also said she had 8 children and 7 were living.

I'm checking further for more info

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 11:51AM GMT
Reply #4

Some more news for you. I found the 1880 census showing William A. Robinson in Johnson Co, Franklin, Indiana as follows:

Note...that Jane, the ~mother~...stepmother/foster mother/adoptive mother is the Jenny we saw in the 1910 census. Also note that William had what appears to be a full sister, Martha Robison. Jenny in 1910 said she was a widow...married only once....so the Robinson kids were not hers by a first marriage, thus the kids were probably orphans from a local fammily there in Johnson Co, Indiana.

Ah...a check for Robinsons shows a Daniel Robinson family in 1870 Johnson Co, Franklin on the very same page (276) as Jacob Stephens/Stevens family. That's too much of a coincidence. Note also that it says Daniel was 36 born in KY and wife, Sarah, 36 was born in Indiana...which matches up with the parental data birth location information on the two Robinson kids listed below.

I checked the 1880 census and did not find a Daniel Robinson, but did find his wife Sarah, listed as wife, but no husband and only her daughter, Georgie/aka Georgette and a grandkid Addie Phillips. Daniel is listed separately in another household...the household before. This could just be a transcription error...or they could have been separated...however...it indicates there would have been no reason for Sarah to have given up any kids. Daniel Robinson was listed just two short pages from the Jacob Stevens family with the two little Robinson kids...so this still is a red flag. Those two kids are listed as ~other~ indicating they weren't related in any way...so they weren't grandkids of Jacob Stephens and his wife....they had to be orphans they took in.

I don't believe Jessie was a true blood brother OR a half blood brother...but instead a brother by the adoption of William and Martha Robinson by the Stephens family.

There was an Eli Robinson in 1870 in Johnson Co, but he married and both of them lived a long time.

His father was Elijah who was 50 in 1870 with wife Susan age 49 and they could be the parents of the two little kids, but Susan was born in KY, not Indiana.

No hard answer on who the parents of the two kids were...birth parents anyway...but the foster/adoptive parents were absolutely Jacob and Jenny/Jeannette/Jane Stephens.

Ah...there was an 1870 Franklin Co, Metamora one Joseph Robison age 29 b KY and Emeline age 26 born in Indiana...with two kids, Ida May 4 and May age 1.This couple is born the right places to match up with the 1880 census below...AND...I could not find ANY of these folks in the 1880 census. That pegs this couple to possibly be the parents of little William and Martha Robinson. Little Ida May and May could have been adopted out to other couples in the area. It would be a good thing to go through the 1880 census of Franklin Co page by page to see if Ida May and May show up in another household with a different last name.

Best of luck...that's all I could find for now...but you should check cemetery records of Franklin Co to see if the Robinson/Robisons died before 1880 and exactly when. Also, you should check with the county court to see if there was a guardianship for any of these kids in Franklin Co.

Julie Bissell Tupker

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Jacob STEPHENS Self M Male W 50 GER Farmer GER GER
Jane STEPHENS Wife M Female W 46 SCOT Keeping House IRE SCOT
John A. STEPHENS Son S Male W 18 IN Laborer GER SCOT
Emma E. BATCHELOR Other S Female W 18 KY Housekeeper KY IN
William A. ROBINSON Other S Male W 6 IN Boarder KY IN
Martha ROBINSON Other S Female W 3 IN Boarder KY IN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Franklin, Johnson, Indiana
Family History Library Film 1254289
NA Film Number T9-0289
Page Number 111D

Posted: 27 Jun 2005 3:11AM GMT
Julie,

I just wanted to thank you again for all of your efforts! You were right, Jacob and Jane are definately the ones who raised William. I don't know why I never thought to put "Whit" only on the search, LOL, but I am glad that you did. I am checking out all the other leads you gave me too. Thank you so much!

Marcia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions