Search for content in message boards

Baird, Vanderwerker surnames

Baird, Vanderwerker surnames

Joy Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Baird, Vanderwerker
My grandmother was one of 11 or 12 siblings abandoned by their parents in Crosby or Brainerd, Minnesota in the 1890's. My sister remembers "Granny" saying something about living in Wisconsin at some time. Granny's name was Della Margaret Vanderwerker. Her youngest brother was Carroll Vanderwerker. Another brother was married to a woman named Amanda in Coos Bay, Oregon. There was a brother named Alan who died in WWI. Some of the older children were named Baird from a first marriage to a man who deserted the family. There was a sister named Mildred who may have been a Baird. I'm looking for information about this family.

VANDERWERKER

Posted: 8 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: VANDERWERKER, BAIRD
My original information was wrong. Harry Vanderwerker was my grandmother's father and the first husband of Granny's mother. She married a man named French Baird later and Carroll was a Baird, not a Vanderwerker.

Harry Vanderwerker and French Baird are supposed to have been partners in a saw mill near Brainerd when Granny was born. She was born in 1893 or 1894 and had younger Vanderwerker siblings. I don't know the sequence or which were Bairds and which were Vanderwerkers, but I have some of the names, Alan, Earl (he was married to Amanda in Coos Bay, Oregon), Harold, Carroll, and Mildred. The Baird sons (there may have been three of them) may have been born in the early 1900s.

Carroll may have changed his name to Billy Carroll.

adding more info

Posted: 9 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: VANDERWERKER, BAIRD
The wife of Harry Van Der Werker and, later, French Baird, was Viola Mac Kune.

Re: VANDERWERKER

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 4:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baird
My name is Keri Baird Maage. My father Timothy W. Baird was raised in East Grand Forks, MN by his parents Ralph and Jean Baird. Ralph was born to Floyd and Dagmar Baird of Pine County (Cass Lake) area. You know, I have never heard much about our family farther back than G'G'pa Floyd. G'pa had a few siblings that are still in the Cass Lake area and active in the comunity. I do not know if there is an actual connection between us, but the number of Bairds in that area ... the likely hood may be high. Also the other surname you refer to sounds familiar. Feel free to contact me.

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 5:05PM GMT
Surnames: Vanderwerker, Fletcher, Baird
I believe that French Baird was the name of my grandmother's stepfather. She had siblings who were fathered by him. They were all abandoned as children and wound up in orphanages. After several horrible foster homes, Granny ended up in Spokane, Washington with an aunt and uncle. I believe it was French Baird and Viola MacKune who abandoned Granny and her siblings If so, that might be why you don't hear much about him. Your grandfather might be one of those abandoned children and might not have appreciated it. Granny never had anything good to say about her father, Harry Vanderwerker, who may not have abandoned them at all but appears to have gone to the Gold Rush in the Klondike and returned to homestead near Cass Lake. I don't know if he ever found any of his children. I do have a picture of three of Granny's brothers but I don't know if they are Vanderwerkers or Bairds.
Attachments:

Posted: 10 May 2009 2:21PM GMT
Your Ralph Baird had three older brothers, Merle, Wayne, and Richard.
Floyd Baird's father was George S Baird and mother Mabel Anna Lattimore, they came from Erie Pennsylvania

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 2:52AM GMT
There is an Earl married to an Amanda/Vanda Vanderwerker in Coos they operators on a stock ranch on the 1950 census.
The only reason I ran across this is that my grandmother Mary Elizabeth Burk (johnston) married a E Harold Vanderwerker. I actually have a bank loan card for him in Coos from 1951. I was looking for additional information on my grandmothers life here in Oregon and remembered this.
and then saw your post.

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 2:53AM GMT
oh yes and this E Harold was born in Wisconsin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions