Search for content in message boards

Can I get help reading a line item on a manifest?

Can I get help reading a line item on a manifest?

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 8:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother and aunt immigrated together in 1906. Or so I thought. I see now that my aunt's line in crossed through. What does it mean? Did she not board the ship?
What do you think? I have attached the lines in two parts since they were too long to do in one snip. Thank you so much for any wisdom you can give me. My grandmother is MaryAnn McHale and my aunt was Ann McHale. She did not die during the crossing, because she is mentioned in a later obituary. Thank you!
Attachments:

Re: Can I get help reading a line item on a manifest?

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 4:19AM GMT
Could you please identify the port, ship and date of this manifest. The single line is useless.

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 6:17PM GMT
Port is NYC
Ship is the Celtic
The date is April 15, 1906

Thanks.

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 2:17PM GMT
It's often easier to decipher documents when a larger portion of the document is provided.

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 5:13AM GMT
Hi JL,

I just came across the same issue, so I did a Google search for "interpreting ship's manifests" and found a helpful blogpost that said:

"Sometimes an entire line is crossed out, not because the passenger was not on board, but because they are officially listed on another page of the manifest."
(You can read the whole post at http://stephendanko.com/blog/268)

In a perfect world, the "other page" where the passenger is listed should have been indexed and displayed separately in your search results, but if it wasn't, probably your next best option (that is, if you're like me and hate to leave any stone unturned) would be to manually scroll through all of the other pages of the manifest to see if you can find her somewhere else.

But first you might want to re-visit your search results first to make sure any search results you might have assumed were duplicate hits (because there are always plenty of those) aren't in fact representing different pages on the manifest where your Aunt Ann might be listed...it's definitely worth clicking through those before tackling the whole manifest!

Either way, hope you find her!

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 7:36PM GMT
My deepest thanks for your comprehensive reply. I will do just as you suggest.

Best Wishes
Jan McLaughlin

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 2:56AM GMT
What is the name of the passenger?

Robert

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 3:37AM GMT
Her name was Anne McHale. From Birmingham, England. She is listed as age 19.

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 2:46PM GMT
If this ship manifest came through Ellis Island, you can contact them and they will tell you why it was crossed out.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 8:21PM GMT
I have seen the same thing on one of my family members records. I beleive that it means they werent on that ship. For some reason they were scheduled but didnt board. This is why I think this. I found my family member on a later record and also I know her traveling partner backed out and she also was crossed off of the first record.A very old aunt told me the traveling partner decided not to come to America. I hope this helps
per page

Find a board about a specific topic